The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 18, 2010, 09:08 PM   #1
mitchell koster

Scope for dads Ruger M77

Hi everyone, my dad has just bought a ruger M77, Mk2 Laminate sporter in .270 win. We're looking a few different scopes for and wanted some different views on the situation.

The scopes we've been looking at are the Red field 2-9 by 50mm, the bushnell 3-9 by 50, a sightron 3-9 by 50 and a Weaver 3-9 by 50.

I know your gonna ask why the 50mm lens, so i'll answer that before. Where we are hunting it gets dark very quickly so we need maximum light in take.

I like the Red Field scope because its made by leopould and seems to be of a high quality. I'm not very confident with the other brands.

Our budget is between $300 - $400 because we'll need to buy rings for it too.

Thanks in advance for any advice and safe hunting.

Mk
Old July 18, 2010, 11:43 PM   #2
grubbylabs

Look and see if Vortex has one that fits your bill. I just put one on my Marlin and it seems to work good so far, plus it was fairly cheap.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old July 20, 2010, 10:44 PM   #3
72gator

If you are looking at the Weaver scopes, then check out the Federal Intensity scopes. They are manufactured by Weaver (in the Phillipines... not China!). I have never seen clarity like this before. I will admit, I don't buy $500 scopes, but seek value in affordable scopes. I do own a Pentax Gameseeker, and I am pleased, with it. However, I prefer the Federal Intensity scope. They are available as a discontinued model from Sportman's guide for around $60. They had previously retailed for around $250 before they became available at Sportsman's Guide. If you have to spend $400 on your Dad, buy him the Federal scope, a Savage model 93, and a nother Federal scope to top it. You will be his favorite child... ever! Good luck with your selection.

Joe
Old July 20, 2010, 10:55 PM   #4
bcarver

made by...

don't get Redfield because they are made by Leopold.
That just means they own the company,
Several things increase light.
lens coating, lens quality,tube size are some major factors.

Look at a 30mm tube6x fixed. spend extra money on quality lens.
I like Schmit an Bender.
check out samplelist.com
Old July 20, 2010, 11:16 PM   #5
Scorch

Quote:
They are available as a discontinued model from Sportman's guide for around $60.
Quote:
I like Schmit an Bender.
From the ridiculous to the sublime. . .

I like your choice of the Redfield, they are getting very good reviews. Also consider a Leupold VX2, if you haven't already, or Bushnell 4200 Elite, Burris, or Weaver Grand Slam.
Old July 21, 2010, 07:09 AM   #6
Longdayjake

Just a little experience of my own. None of those scopes are known very well for bringing in light. If you are going to be hunting in low light a lot then it is really really worth your money to go to atleast a VXII in quality. I have had it make the difference between being able to see and not being able to see. I am guessing your dad bought the gun used because that model is supposed to come with mounts and rings. You will easily be able to find a VXII for $250-300 and your mounts and rings shouldn't cost more than $60. I have a VXIII on my M77 mkII with a 36mm objective and it brings in more light than any of those scopes. Sure the objective makes a little difference but design quality and coatings make even more. Here is a picture.

Old July 21, 2010, 05:31 PM   #7
hooligan1

That's Right......

Longdayjake took the words out of my mouth...... Even if you hunt for a used Leupold, thoroughly look over all options. I happened to buy two different Leupold scopes that were used but in great condition, as their previous owners were upgrading to even more expensive Leupolds, I paid 150.00 each.......and they are sweeeeeeeeet!!!! ( They are VXII's by the way), I owned mostly Simmons scopes which are made in the Phillipines. I also mounted these Leupold scopes on Leupold bases and rings...

Thanks for coming
Old July 22, 2010, 10:32 PM   #8
Fat White Boy

I put a Weaver K4 fixed power 4X on my .308. 10mm exit pupil. The human eye is 7mm... It is fine for my hunting, out to 300 yards... You can buy a new K4 for $150.00.
Old July 23, 2010, 11:47 AM   #9
GeauxTide

Have bought 7 of the new generation Weavers in the last couple of years. Absolutely love them.
Old July 23, 2010, 01:44 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

The current Weaver warranty is extremely difficult to get service under.

Although I admit my new-ish Bushnell Elite 4200 is a decent scope, your price range allows for a step up to a better scope (Leupold).

In the $400 range you can get new VX-2s and sale-priced VX-3s.

Make sure you pay attention to the scope dimensions. I just put a 3.5-10x50mm Leupold VX-3 on my .270 Win SS/Laminate M77 Mk II, and it fit fine with factory rings.
Old August 1, 2010, 09:23 AM   #11
TX Hunter

I woud get that Redfield, Leupold is trying very hard to make a good impression with these scopes.
Old August 1, 2010, 02:54 PM   #12
publius

I'm with Scorch.
Old August 10, 2010, 04:22 AM   #13
bamaranger

fixed 6

I'm going to suggest a different route. Fixed 6x, 40mm bell. Despite our advances in optics, the idea of fewer moving parts = more rugged is still appealing, to me anyhow.

Burris makes a fixed 6 x 40mm in their Fullfield II line, but one never hears about it.

Leupold makes two verisons, a 6x36, and better, a 6x42 w/ upgraded glass.
Used Leu's are out there and can provide good service at substantial savings.

I believe 6x gives enough magnification over 4x to make longer shots possible on deer size animals at ranges under 300, and still not be a handicap up close in brush or on a moving animal. And you won't get caught w/ the scope set to high or two low. Its just there.

Yeah, I have 3-9's on two rifles, and a 2-7 on another. All of them seem live at 6x when hunting. But my 3 fixed -6 (all leus) don't need adjusted.
Old August 10, 2010, 08:57 PM   #14
mitchell koster

IF i had the money i'd buy him a Karles 8by 56mm fixed. I think they're one of the best scopes you can buy. An uncle has has one on several rifles for the lat 15 years.

Hmm if we had un limited funds. hahaha.

Safe hunting all, over and out.

MK
Old August 13, 2010, 03:29 AM   #15
bamaranger

not much more than 40mm bell for me

I don't want more than about a 40-42mm bell, and a 1" tube, on any HUNTING rifle that I intend to carry very far. To big and clunky and heavy. Looks like a TV camera on top of the rifle too!

Plus the 50mm plus bells need high or xhigh rings, which puts the line of sight way above the line of bore and path of slug and mucks up what should be flat, usable trajectories.

I've hunted more from a shooting house on ROW's and green fields than I really care to admit, and have never, ever, had trouble seeing deer, at reasonable ranges, within legal shooting hours w/ plain old 36 and esp 40-42mm bells and moderate magnification w/ modern working man Leupold's and Burris's. Same with woods hunts, the diff being that you can't see as far due to foilage, so the same amount of shooting time is still available at dusk or dawn, since your not covering as much of an area w/ your field of fire.

Even my 60's vintage 4x Banner, and a USA 4x Redfield Widefield are not to shabby, although in bad weather, mist, fog, they do give up a good bit to 1990-2000 yr glass.
Old August 13, 2010, 05:32 AM   #16
taylorce1

My favorite hunting scope is the Leupold VXIII 2.5-8X36, and I know the new VX3 is out of your price range. If you look around on ebay and gunbroker you can find a good used one in your price range and have money left over for rings if your Ruger didn't have any already. If you want to go even a little less on the scope I'd look for a VX-II in either 2-7 or 3-9 power and I wouldn't go over a 40mm objective as well. 50mm or larger really belong on varmint rifles or over in Europe IMO.