The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2008, 12:48 PM   #1
mullet

Dillon RL 550

I'm trying to get some feedback of the 550. I have one I bought in a bulk purchase. I have no idea how to set it up. I have went back and for with trying to set it up verses "ebaying" it. If its a good unit, and I can get it set up, I'd be using it for pistol ammo mostly. I have 16 tool heads, a dozen conversion kits, and a ton of dies.

How easy is it to set up?
How easy to change calibers?
Would you recommend this press, or another, for volume pistol loading?
Old March 11, 2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

It's not bad on any of those things, but you need the instructions. Just call Dillon. Their service is second to none. 800-223-4570 (now that's a number that's easy to remember). They will probably send you an instruction book.

I use a Dillon Square deal and a 550B. Both produce just fine for volume. If you were a commercial reloader, I would recommend the 1050. If I had it to do over, I might get the 650 rather than the 550 to get the extra station, but that's no bad reflection on the 550.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 11, 2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Alleykat

I'm pretty sure you can get the instruction manuals online at Dillon's website.
Old March 11, 2008, 06:14 PM   #4
skeetshooter105

Dillon

You can print the entire instruction booklet from dillon off thier internet site.
I have a 550 with too many conversion kits. It is outstanding on pistol rounds where you do not have to trim, lube to size etc. I loaded over 3000 38 special loads the first week I had mine. If you have scales to weigh charges they are no problem to set up. Do it one shell at a time until all is correct. Rifle rounds take a little longer but work out some great loads.
Power measure works as good as any I have ever encountered with small grain powder. Drops are very consistant.
Dennis
Old March 11, 2008, 06:44 PM   #5
Robert M Boren Sr

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/manuals.html
Old March 11, 2008, 08:09 PM   #6
btefft

Go to YouTube. I saw some good videos about setting up and using the 550.

Doing a search for Dillon 550 should do it.

Hack
Old March 12, 2008, 05:24 AM   #7
cnjaxx

Here is some vidios. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=329216
Old March 12, 2008, 06:16 AM   #8
SDC

If you're at all interested in reloading, stick with the Dillon, because you'll end up getting one sooner or later anyway. The hardest thing about changing calibres is changing the primer bar, but that's only necessary when going from Small to Large or vice-versa; Dillon's official "help page" (complete with full manuals) is at http://www.dillonhelp.com/ , and if that doesn't help, you can talk to a technician who will answer your questions. If you've never worked with a progressive press before, Dillon also has a video tape/DVD that shows what you need to do to get up and running.