The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 21, 2014, 07:09 AM   #101
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Anyways in one episode they were interviewing your typical gangsta thug type crack dealer and he pulls out a Hi Point which he refers to as his "40 cal Glock". What I got from that was most low-level criminals believe any polymer handgun to be a Glock.

They also had another dealer who referred to his Walther P99 as an "PP9" close, but no cigar. I'm assuming he he thought he had a 9x19mm PPK or something along those lines.
I know what you mean. I meet people at the gun range and there are some on here who think their handgun is a cannon or is artillery because that is what they called it. Close, but no cigar.

With a lot of people, attitude and presentation, the playing-up of features to look better than they are, are more important than reality.
Old November 4, 2014, 05:42 PM   #102
Retired_Squid

what caliber do you use, and what do bad guys use

As the new kid on the block at TFL and also the CC community, I'm a little over whelmed with the number of different opinions on what caliber to carry. Almost every post I read seems perfectly logical...so what's a guy to do?
I carry what is probably considered a "lite-weight" by many, and 'worthless" by a few.
I'm not one who believes in carrying a "hog" that will penetrate the target, carry a block down the street, ricochet off a light pole and strike a sweet o'lady crossing the street. I carry a Russian-made Makarov .380 with a 90 grain Federal Hydra-Shok JHP in the chamber and the mag stacked with alternating rounds of round-nose FMJ and JHP. I'm wide open for ideas and suggestions, but I feel like with lots of range-time and a "combat mind-set" I am perfectly armed for any encounter on the street. Whatcha think???
Old November 4, 2014, 06:39 PM   #103
DA/SA Fan

I have the opposite theory. I'll try to miss the little old lady but I want horsepower. I'll be carrying a 10mm most of the time. Although I like it that way, I think you are golden with a Makarov and practice. I own other guns and don't really feel nekkid even if all I have on me is a .32.

Last edited by DA/SA Fan; November 7, 2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old November 7, 2014, 03:30 AM   #104
Sight Unseen

I don't think there's anything wrong with carrying a .380. I'm not sure about the efficacy of alternating FMJ and HP though. I get why you would want to do it, barrier penetration and all that, but from what I've read I don't think that it's necessary. Also that FMJ round could be the one that you miss with and go careening through walls and bouncing off of light post like you're so worried about, that and it could also be the one you hit the potential threat with but not stop it like a HP would. However this is just my opinion and since (luckily) I have never fired a gun in self defense it's just that, an opinion.
Old November 7, 2014, 08:15 AM   #105
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired squid
I feel like with lots of range-time and a "combat mind-set" I am perfectly armed for any encounter on the street. Whatcha think???
I also have lots of range time and a "combat mind set". However, I feel that anyone who thinks that they are "perfectly armed for any encounter on the street" must have a very limited imagination and very little access to current news, no matter what they carry.
Old November 9, 2014, 10:40 AM   #106
KSDeputy

What caliber do you use, and what do bad guys use

I always carry a .45. I do have several Walthers in .22lr & .380 for backup. I am retired, so do not have any info on what the bad guys of today are using. I do know that my Sheriff's Office went from the 4506 after I left, to Glock .40's.
Old November 10, 2014, 11:36 PM   #107
boondocker385

So the vatos who are calling shots admitted to giving the orders to use revolvers. Had nothing to do with limp wristing.... Now I don't think they realize that most firearms linkages to crime are from the bullets but I don't intend to educate them. Glad to know the bad guys are just as uninformed as most gun owners.....
Old November 24, 2014, 12:03 AM   #108
WildBill45

Quote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with carrying a .380.
If you shoot it well it is a viable round. I carry big most of the time but, on some days I carry my baby Glock, model 42. If you use rounds using the Hornady XTP bullet they do well in most tests...

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old November 24, 2014, 01:07 AM   #109
Sight Unseen

Quote:
If you shoot it well it is a viable round
Honestly I think one should be able to shoot well if they were to carry anyways, because from everything I've read shot placement is key.
Old November 24, 2014, 08:51 AM   #110
WildBill45

Quote:
shot placement is key.
A properly placed shot trumps caliber but, a bigger caliber in a poorly placed shot trumps a smaller one...

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old November 24, 2014, 09:09 AM   #111
kutz

1911 .45cp. Sometimes 3", 4" or 5" but always .45 1911.
Old November 24, 2014, 05:09 PM   #112
peggysue

Winter time I carry my Taurus M905 Titanium in 45Cold.
Old November 25, 2014, 10:23 PM   #113
Sgt127

Quote:
As the new kid on the block at TFL and also the CC community, I'm a little over whelmed with the number of different opinions on what caliber to carry. Almost every post I read seems perfectly logical...so what's a guy to do?
I carry what is probably considered a "lite-weight" by many, and 'worthless" by a few.
I'm not one who believes in carrying a "hog" that will penetrate the target, carry a block down the street, ricochet off a light pole and strike a sweet o'lady crossing the street. I carry a Russian-made Makarov .380 with a 90 grain Federal Hydra-Shok JHP in the chamber and the mag stacked with alternating rounds of round-nose FMJ and JHP. I'm wide open for ideas and suggestions, but I feel like with lots of range-time and a "combat mind-set" I am perfectly armed for any encounter on the street. Whatcha think???
I don't think you'll make it. You're done for.

I have a NAA .32 in my back pocket right now. Loaded with ball no less.

But, to be realistic, a good 9mm...40.....357 SIG.....45 hollow point may have less chance of over penetration than the .380 ball.
Old November 26, 2014, 11:47 AM   #114
Jeff #111

I've been a police officer for over 14 years. I've seen all types of firearms being carried by the badguys. Everything from a Walther P88 to Ravens and Hi-Points. I've also seen various AK models, slide action Remington rifles, single-shot shotguns, M1 carbines, over & under shotguns and pellet guns.

Several years ago we had a local thug decide to get some payback. He went and shot up several houses in a crazy couple of hours before we caught up to him. He was carrying a Winchester Model 1894 in 30-30. Those bullets went through the houses like the proverbial hit knife through butter - not to mention a couple cars.

The moral of my story? The bad guys will use whatever they can get. Oh did I forget to mention the guy with the Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine? That guy was walking around with a single action revolver that had a 7.5" barrel. He had it stuffed down in his pants like it was a Glock. The Ruger was stolen during a residential burglary. Felt good getting it back to it's rightful owner.

I carry a Glock 19 (9mm) both on and off duty by the way.
Old November 29, 2014, 09:13 AM   #115
patreojames

9mm when clothing allows, otherwise a snubby 38 Special. The 9mm is a SIG P6, so it's comparatively heavy and bulky; I prefer its extra 3 rounds, but the snubby disappears far more easily. Either way, if I'm wearing pants, one of them is on me.
Closed Thread