The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 26, 2009, 09:30 AM   #26
4V50 Gary
Staff

I've read about Civil War soldiers cleaning their guns with hot water.

I've also read that they've urinated down the barrel to clean out the fouling. This was during battle when the guns became too fouled to load. Irving Bell Wiley may have mentioned it too in either "Life of Billy Yank" or "Life of Johnny Reb."
Old September 26, 2009, 05:18 PM   #27
kflach
Registration in progress

Whew. I was concerned there for you Hardcase. Now I can get some sleep, too.

Yep, keep posting those letters!
Old September 26, 2009, 05:38 PM   #28
Hardy

ok

Richmond, VA July 10th 1862

"...I would like the best in this world to be with you all but it is impossible unless I get wounded. I would be right willing to take a right severe wound to get two or three months furlow, but would hate to be killed, as I am not ready to leave this world yet. jack tells me you go armed to the teeth. You are not afraid of the Yankees coming up your way are you? Since the battle we only have about eighty men left in our Regiment & but six or seven in our company. Tell Jimmy he must make haste & come back, that we have hard times coming. I must come to a close...I remain your affectionate son,
Haywood."

I think he was referring to the 2nd battle of Manassas. And Jimmie was the commander of the SC 5 reg
Old September 26, 2009, 08:14 PM   #29
Hawg

2nd Manassas /Bull Run was Aug. 29-30 of 1862. Could have been Cold Harbor on June 27th or any one of several other battles/skirmishes around the same time frame.

THis is the most famous Cold Harbor pic taken in late 1864 or 65.

Last edited by Hawg; September 26, 2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added pic
Old September 26, 2009, 10:34 PM   #30
Hardcase

Now that's kind of interesting, Hawg, because my great great grandfather fought at Cold Harbor on the Union side!
Old September 27, 2009, 02:46 AM   #31
Model-P

Quote:
Now that's kind of interesting, Hawg, because my great great grandfather fought at Cold Harbor on the Union side!
Well, then, why the heck didn't your great-great garandfather give Hardy's great grandfather the furlow he wanted so badly?
Old September 27, 2009, 01:09 PM   #32
Hardcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model-P
Well, then, why the heck didn't your great-great garandfather give Hardy's great grandfather the furlow he wanted so badly?
Well, I figure that the difference between a furlough and a nice peaceful plot of land is a little too close to call for an 1862 rifle
Old September 27, 2009, 04:10 PM   #33
Hawg

Quote:
I don't know how it was in the north, all of my ancestors were southerners. Southern troops were supposed to get leave every so often so they could go home and take care of business. However some commanders were A holes and wouldn't give leave. This left some soldiers with no other option than to go
AWOL and risk getting shot or hung as a deserter.
Old September 28, 2009, 02:23 AM   #34
Model-P

I've rethought my attempt at humor, and wish to opologize if I may have offended anyone. It was not my intent, but I realize it might be taken as offensive.

Anyhow, I believe my computer has been hacked, so I'm over and out for a while. I hope to get back here soon to read some more great historical accounts. I love this stuff. Thankyou for sharing the letters.
Old September 28, 2009, 09:18 AM   #35
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I don't know how it was in the north, all of my ancestors were southerners. Southern troops were supposed to get leave every so often so they could go home and take care of business. However some commanders were A holes and wouldn't give leave. This left some soldiers with no other option than to go
AWOL and risk getting shot or hung as a deserter.
I have read stuff on-line() that is reported as original letters from the period of the Civil War. I gather that well over fifty percent of the troops, on both sides, were draftees and did not want to fight a plantain owners or industrialist's war. Thousands killed in NYC during protests against the war and the draft?? Never taught that in school. Plantain owners, or any southerner that owned more than five slaves was exempt from serving in the military. Many on both sides were forced into serving for fear of death to them or family members.

I know many of the soldiers needed to be home at planting and harvest time or their families would starve.
Old September 28, 2009, 09:41 AM   #36
Hardcase

The Civil War was the first time that conscription was used to enlist soldiers. It wasn't terribly popular for a few reasons. One was that the draft was viewed as an infringement on personal liberty. It also was perceived as an end-run around the Constitution by the military in an effort to gain control over the civilian population. It depressed morale in some units because of the perception that an unwilling soldier would be a poor soldier (which is also one of the arguments used against the draft today.)

There were so many exemptions to the draft, such as employment, "only son", commutation (paying a fee to avoid the draft) or hiring a replacement, that draftees tended to be immigrants or very poor.

The Draft Riots in New York City were the largest civil disturbance in the country's history.

I don't know how many troops were ultimately drafted, but I do know that, in the north, very few of those whose names were drawn actually served.
Old October 8, 2009, 07:43 PM   #37
Hardy

OK -here's a good one. can't write the whole letter so read between the lines

Camp around Richmond July the 2nd,1863

My Dear Cousin,
".....I imagine we are here to defend Richmond while Lee's army is in Maryland. I see all of his army has crossed the river, so you may hear exciting news from him soon. Garrie,our Brigade has been newly uniformed. We look like Yankees. I dislike the color; it is blue....the people of Richmond were very glad when we came. The streets were crowded with Ladies when we passed through...Coffee in Richmond sells for six or seven dollars a pound. Dolphus came safely to us with Dick's horse on the 28th of June. He remained only one day with us. I am astonished at Dick for sending such an animal out here. It will suffer for something to eat. Any cheap horse would have answered his purpose as well..... I hear favorable comments of our Confederacy. I am fearful the Yankees will finally capture Vicksburg. Johnson is too slow in his movements; he has allowed grant to fortify his army in front and rear. Forcing him from there will not be a Fox chase, but we will live in hope....Tell Dick he must be sure and bring one of the Negro Boys when he returns. I want someone to tote my knapsack while marching............
I remain as ever your affectionate
Cousin Haywood
Write soon and give us all the news. Always burn my letters after reading

Good Bye"

well, he didn't burn the letter. This letter was too long for me to type in its entirety---but I did not ad or subtract from the words in this writing. it is real
WDH
Old October 10, 2009, 02:28 AM   #38
Model-P

Thanks, Hardy! Just in time for me to get back here and read it.
It's a good thing you can read the writing. Often the handwriting of the period can be difficult to decipher. Thanks for sharing. Good thing the letters weren't burned!
Old October 10, 2009, 11:05 PM   #39
pvt.Long

hot soapy water with a few patches or a swab. Step one put a used cap or a new cap if you want to sacrifice a new cap works better on the nipple. Pour sufficent water down the barrel. The amount it personal prefrence. swab the barrel untill the water comes out of the end and when you run out repeat it untill the water come out clear. then dry throughly with patches, remove niple let the water drain , wash the nipple out throughly dry everything and lightly oil the whole gun