The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 17, 2011, 01:21 AM   #1
imsoipy

EOTech, Aimpoint, ???

I'm sure there are tons of posts in here related to this, however I suck at using the search function!

So I'm looking to scope my AR, I'll be running a dot up front with a magnifier in back.

I've done some research and find that the EOTech allows for a better field of vision, the aimpoint has a much longer battery life. I've pretty much decided on an EOTech, but I have a question.

Is there any manufacturer out there that produces a "mid-range" optic? I've found some cheap'o stuff for $40-$100, and EOTech and Aimpoint being the higher end around $450-$600.

I'm wondering if I can get comparable quality with an optic that will run me between $200 to $300, and if when I'm buying one of the "high end" optics I'm buying the name.

Thanks for your help.
Old June 17, 2011, 05:09 AM   #2
docnyt

When it comes to optics, you get what you pay for. The branded ones have withstood the test of time and will be worth the price of admission. Just be on the lookout for used ones. I have heard some good things about Primary Arms but have never tried them.

Mine are "branded" - Eotech, Trijicon and Aimpoint. The Aimpoint clone I bought is OK but not as quality nor does it look as durable as the real one.

If you're just plinking or just using it for range fun it shouldn't matter but if it's a work gun and your life depends on it, then you know which one to get.
Old June 17, 2011, 09:07 AM   #3
JCP281

From all accounts iv read, this seems to be a good mid range sight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ZB4...el_video_title
Old June 17, 2011, 11:48 AM   #4
a.lol.cat

The Bushnell Holosight should run about $200-$250.

It's manufactured by Eotech for them. It uses some of their older, cheaper to produce, tech. Takes Type N batteries. Not "bad" just not the newest and greatest.
Old June 28, 2011, 11:18 PM   #5
SadistAssassin

I love my EoTech 5.11 on my DPMS 308. Ive never tried an aimpoint but I hear they are good too. I thinks its absolutely right that you get what u pay for with optics. I had a Trijicon ACOG on my M4 in the Army. That sight was awesome, but I paid $800+ for it. When i got out i sold it and bought the Eotech and a bunch of mags and upgrades for the DPMS.
Old July 14, 2011, 03:35 PM   #6
RC20

Bushnell is no longer available except seconds or if lucky NIB.
Old July 14, 2011, 04:32 PM   #7
jsimmons

I have three Primary Arms red dots:

MicroDot Gen3 on a S&W M&P15MOE
MicroDot Gen8 on a scratch-built AR
M3 on a S&W M&P15-22

They're more than adequate for civilian/range use. Maybe one day I'll buy an Aimpoint, but right now, I'm more interested in buying ammo.
Old July 28, 2011, 10:52 AM   #8
tsmith247

If you are just starting out and want to go with a name brand you can trust (and an excellent optic) try the Eotech 512. You can pick these up around $380-$425, then when you want to spend more go with the Aimpoint
Old July 30, 2011, 04:38 PM   #9
Slotback

I have a couple of EOTech's. Can't go wrong with them. I have friends who swear up and down by Aimpoints.

Try both from friends if possible. Then make your decision.
Old July 30, 2011, 05:41 PM   #10
45Gunner

Depends what you will be doing with your AR. If you are looking for a true tactical rifle addition, I would recommend the Trijicon ACOG with night vision and 4X. Makes the rifle usable for nearly everything you would do with a tactical rifle.

However, if you are just plinking at the range, any of the cheap red dot scopes which run between $30 - $45 will do the trick.

Remember, if you deal at a reputable shop you will indeed get what you pay for. Do not expect a $100 scope to perform like a $1200 scope....it just ain't gonna happen...no matter what kind a bill of goods a salesman will try to sell you.

Optics are one of those things that can cost way more than the rifle...be prepared.
NRA Life Member
Old July 30, 2011, 06:16 PM   #11
Jo6pak

As others have stated, Primary Arms is a good place for optics
http://primaryarms.com/main.sc

I've had a PA M3 clone on my DR200 for a while, and it works great.
Sure maybe it's not name brnad, or "milspec" but at less than half the cost, it does everything just as well as my buddies Aimpoint.