The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 7, 2013, 09:36 PM   #1
h518may

New thought on pocket carry dilemma

I have been posting lately about how I've been wanting a smaller gun for pocket carry other than my main carry gun, a g27. I had narrowed my choices down to revolvers because of a revolvers reliability and its ability to fire thru a pocket and / or holster if need be. ( worried about the semi's lack of ability to cycle in a pocket). Soooo, I had been looking at the lcr and s&w bodyguard When it hit me. What about a small revolver that is ALSO chambered in
40s&w? BUT... What choices are out there? Taurus, charter arms I am aware of , but any others? It kinda makes sense for my two carry guns to be the same caliber, but I worry about good solid choices. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:28 AM   #2
Chesster

Good concept but I see no practical solution. I like the Smith M-38 or a chopped Charter .44 bulldog for pocket carry. I've heard of Charter's new auto cart. revolvers but have no experience with then nor a lot of confidence in the newer breed of Charters.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old January 8, 2013, 10:33 AM   #3
h518may

yeah, i like the idea but i'm like you, chesster, no experience with/ confidence w either taurus or charter arms. but to be fair, they could both produce fine products, just have never shot either one's guns. i've always been a smith and wesson/ruger revolver man. i do own a chiappa rhino, which i love, and would consider one of their .40 snubs, but they are hard to come by and more expensive than i can currently afford.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:20 PM   #4
jackpine

you'll find that a glock 27 and a J-frame carry about the same in the pocket so just get a quality pocket holster for it and call it good
Old January 8, 2013, 11:30 PM   #5
h518may

Jack pine, what pocket holster would you recommend? And isn't the g27 a little thick for jeans carry?
Old January 8, 2013, 11:53 PM   #6
weblance

I have a Taurus 905(9mm revolver). It was the first Taurus I ever bought. I have S&W and Ruger revolvers, and never have had any problems with them. I really wanted a 9mm revolver, and there was really nothing else but the Taurus available. So, I held my breath, and took a chance. I am very glad I did. My Taurus has been perfect. Function is wonderful, accuracy is excellent. If you want a .40 revolver, try the Taurus. Make sure you look it over really good, before you sign the paperwork, and if everything looks good, you should be fine.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:45 AM   #7
h518may

thanks web. maybe i should get over my " s&w/ruger are the only wheelies worthy" attitude and give some other brands a try. I have to admit, my wife has a rossi that has been my glove compartment gun for years. it's been a good little gun. maybe it would do me good to try new things.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Nakanokalronin

Unless the wall of the cylinder is very thin, a 5 shot .40S&W cylinder will be thicker than a 5 shot .38spl. Just something to consider since you want to pocket carry. I'd personally handle one in a store before making a decision than buying it online.

ETA: As far as Taurus revolvers go, I've yet to handle one NIB that dosn't have timing issues with lead shavings on the cone from the factory test fire and/or each notch has a graduated amount of play when in full lock-up. What I mean is the first notch might be okay and by the 5th or 6th notch (depending on capacity) it's as loose as a S&W or Ruger revolver that's had 10,000 rounds through it.

If you'll be looking at Taurus, make sure to look at them closely.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:44 AM   #9
kcub

I carry a g26 in a Kramer horsehide pocket holster in Wranglers one size bigger. You need a good 2" belt to cinch up the weight of the gun. Looks just like a wallet.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:01 PM   #10
Clmh2o

Taurus TCP

I just got a taurus TCP 380 and love it. only fired a few rounds through it last night as it was late when i got home from picking it up but hit surprisingly well with it from about 20 feet at a 2 liter bottle.
Old January 9, 2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Nasty

Current production Charters are fine revolvers. I've been shooting & carrying a Pug for the last few years (bought it soon after the current owners took over and revamped production) and handle the newest ones almost daily. Take a good close look...I think you will be impressed.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:44 PM   #12
orionengnr

The reason that there are very few revolvers with 9mm, .40, etc., is that you must use moon clips (I believe someone has some kind of one-off ejector star that allows the use of rimless cartridges in a revolver cylinder).

Quote:
you'll find that a glock 27 and a J-frame carry about the same in the pocket
You may find that...but I didn't, and I don't know anyone else who has. I read very, very few posts from people who pocket carry any type of Glock, while I have read many posters who say that the Glock (any Glock) is not a pocket pistol.

On the other hand, only about a bazillion people throw an S&W J-frame in their pockets every day (including at least three that I know personally) and that number is growing daily.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:54 AM   #13
Nasty

orion - Charter Arms makes the revolvers for 9 & 40. They also make left handed models.

Re: Glocks...I *tried* to embrace them and pocket a 27...no way, and I'm a big guy. Just way too thick and blocky.