The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 26, 2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Boncrayon

03-A3 front sight off center

I have a collectable Remington 03-A3 with fully Parkerized finish, original condition with an aperture sight. The firearm has less than maybe 4 boxes of shells fired. I have the original stock in storage, and have added a custom stock without modifying the action and barrel.

At our 100-yd public range, I had (with my 62 yr-old eyes) a less than 6" cluster. But I notice a slight tilt on the front sight surrounded by a protector loop.

I have heard that to straighten the front "hardened" sight that it might snap off. How can this be corrected without damaging the front sight?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 03A3pics.pdf (2.38 MB, 55 views)
Old January 27, 2012, 05:32 PM   #2
oakfloor

Well first off I had one of thoses front sight hoods and it did nothing for my shooting skills, it's now gone. If it's bent then gently move it back to where it looks right.I dont think they are that brittle, unless it's been bent back and forth many time before. Springfield 03' parts are avalible including front sights. Or remove it and lay it on a flat table to see if it's bent, if not then maybe the front sight band or barrel is off. BTW that's a nice old shooter, I shoot mine once a week, Shoot safe.

Last edited by oakfloor; January 27, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old January 28, 2012, 07:36 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Front sight blade are easy to replace and readily available.

Your front sight cover is a "sight protector" and is intended to be removed when shooting.