The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 23, 2010, 09:08 PM   #1
TenRing

Rebarrelling a Model 66 Revolver

I want to rebarrel my Taurus model 66 from a six inch barrel to something shorter, probably three inch. Has anyone here done a similar project and what advice can you give? Thanks.
Old January 23, 2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Slopemeno

I'd probably go more towards cutting the existing barrel down. 3" is a sweet spot in my opinion- you get a full ejector stroke unlike shorter guns, and the sight radius is generous enough.
Old January 24, 2010, 06:59 AM   #3
TenRing

I figured by buying a 3" barrel, it would already have the front sight milled in. I have found new barrels for about $65 and by the time I recrowned the cut barrel, bought a front sight, drilled and pinned it, I would have at least that much into the materials.

On the other hand, if I cut the barrel down, do I need to be careful to make the cut at a particular point on the rifling or doesn't that matter?
Old January 24, 2010, 07:37 AM   #4
guncrank

I trimmed down an Armscor from four to two and just mounted a bradly shotgun bead instead as I wanted a colored sight and the bead is the same height as the front sight.
And no it will not hurt the barrel any just recrown. I used a brownells crowning tool.
I have a pic if you are really intested in what it looks like. In fact I need to redo it alittle but its my gun so I am no big hurry.
CEW
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public

Last edited by guncrank; January 24, 2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Because I thought of other stuff.
Old January 24, 2010, 07:48 AM   #5
guncrank

You will need to make or buy the right wrench for the frame.
I make my wrenches for handguns from flat stock from hardware store and use Acraglassor JB weld and oak for filler and holding blocks.
I use the oak blocks to hold barrel in my big bench vise. Have done S&W and Colt SA clones with no problems.
DO NOT stick a hammer handle in the clyidner opening and twist off frame.

I make the wrench blocks and barrel blocks milled out over sized and use the glue to fill in and cut brass sheet to the frame shape and glue those to blocks.

CEW
Old January 24, 2010, 11:20 AM   #6
TenRing

Guncrank, thanks for the info. I have already ordered a barrel wrench from Brownells. I have every intention of doing this right. I am a stickler for having the proper tools for every job that I undertake. I am also going to order a recrown tool if I cut the barrel instead of buying one. I would love to see pictures of your Armscor.
Old January 25, 2010, 12:50 AM   #7
guncrank

Here one as requested and another not requested ,but hey

CEW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0501.jpg (152.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0500.jpg (239.5 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by guncrank; January 25, 2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old January 25, 2010, 06:55 PM   #8
dwhite

guncrank,

How do you like that little Armscor revolver? I keep thinking about getting one. Price is more than reasonable.

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited by dwhite; January 25, 2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: verb / subject conflict. Tense.
Old January 26, 2010, 12:08 AM   #9
TenRing

Guncrank, thanks for showing the pics. That Armscor looks a lot like a Colt DS copy. That shotgun bead looks functional enough for sure.
Old January 26, 2010, 09:33 AM   #10
guncrank

Yes it copy of Colt Dective Special . Fir the price it goes bang. It is heavy, not fancy finished. This was a four inch that got a "hacksaw" job. I am going to
smooth up the plastic grip and then stipple the grips. Never done that need practice.

This was a four inch gun that I had for sale , but deceided to keep it instead and wanted a snubbie instead.

CEW
Old January 26, 2010, 09:52 AM   #11
CowTowner

guncrank, great pics! I'm not sure I would have taken the barrel end shot with the gun loaded though. I'm just a little hesitant when the business end is pointed in my general direction.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 26, 2010, 11:17 AM   #12
guncrank

Well may be right I just took it out of my tool box and took the pics with my phone. And not pointed at me, but folks Cow Towner is correct.

dwhite these Armscor retail for around $200 in KY.
I have sold a few for 204.00 with sales tax. I think enough of them to keep the last one for use in CCW.

CEW
Old January 26, 2010, 10:03 PM   #13
drail

Guncrank, that is totally gnarly. I love it! Should be a great carry piece.
Old January 28, 2010, 12:43 PM   #14
BruceM

If you re-barrel, you need to think about more than getting the old barrel off and the new barrel on safely. The new barrel will probably have to be set back a turn because the frame and new barrel threads are not timed-the front sight coming up to the right position. The the barrel/cylinder gap will need to be re-cut to spec. and the barrel's forcing cone will have to be opened up to the specified sized & polished. These operations all take special taps, dies, cutters and gauges in order to have the job done correctly. Also, remember that if you decide to put the original barrel back on, it also will, in all likelyhood, need to be set back a turn. The ejector rod may or may not need adjustment. This is not like screwing a bolt into a threaded hole, taking it out & putting back in again.

Just food for thought.

Bruce
Old February 2, 2010, 10:38 PM   #15
TenRing

Bruce, thanks for all of your insights. This is exactly the kind of info that I was looking for. I am not a gunsmith but I plan to buy the proper tools to do this job. Of course, like Slopemeno and guncrank said, cutting down and recrowning the existing barrel would be a lot easier and I may do it that way.