The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 8, 2007, 05:19 PM   #1
dustinlowery

springfield 1911 GI feed problems

im gettin a lot of stoppages with my springfield 1911 GI all of them have been feeding problems iv used blazer, and winchester superX winclean anyone know what kind of problem it might be?

If god didn't want us to kill why are our eyes on the front of our head
Old July 8, 2007, 05:48 PM   #2
Lane

could it be the feed ramp?
Old July 8, 2007, 05:53 PM   #3
M14fan

I universally use Wilson magazines. If the feed problems persist, I take it to my local smith for a $50 reliability job and mine will feed anything I can stuff in -em. Remember that SA is often mil-spec which means that the weapon was designed to function with BALL ammunition. When you feed it something other than BALL ammo, you will have to make minor changes.
Old July 8, 2007, 06:07 PM   #4
dustinlowery

i think it is the ammo i havent had as many problems with the blazer ammo

Old July 8, 2007, 06:35 PM   #5
AK103K

Quote:
Remember that SA is often mil-spec....
Springfields usually use Springfields "spec of the moment" spec, and thats rarely any original GI or Colt design spec.
Old July 8, 2007, 09:20 PM   #6
Lane

yes but that does not help dustinlowery with his problem Ak103k hes tryin to find out what he can do to fix his problem.

stick to ball ammo and if that doesn't help ask your gunsmith what he can do about it
Old July 8, 2007, 09:37 PM   #7
oldbillthundercheif

Pick up some high-quality magazines and try a few different types of ball ammo. Some of my 1911s don't like the Winchester and pretty much all of them don't like Blazer. I've had the best luck with Fiocchi 230gr FMJ and Wilson or Chip Mc mags.
Old July 8, 2007, 09:42 PM   #8
Lurch37

I second old Bill on the mag part. Get some Wilson magazines and try that first. You would think that ball ammo is ball ammo but you might have to try different brands. Keep plugging away, (300-500 rounds), and I would think it would break in for you nicely.
Old July 9, 2007, 02:19 PM   #9
dustinlowery

will do and thanks for your help guys

Old July 11, 2007, 11:20 PM   #10
2afreedom

I have thought about buying a SA 1911 but every time I read one of these threads I think about how mad I would be if I bought a brand new gun and then had to replace the magazines and/or take it to a gunsmith so it would do what I paid for it to do. I am pretty sure it would be returned ASAP.
Old July 12, 2007, 01:47 AM   #11
BabyEagle.40

My GI did the same thing. Oil the p!ss out of it. I used Wilson Combat mags, bought 2 sent one back because it wouldn't feed either. Got a new mag, and sold the gun. They are jamming nightmares.
Old July 12, 2007, 09:29 AM   #12
buckster

GI Jams

Yes they can be a nightmare. Pull up 1911 Reliability Secrets for some advise. Your barrel probably needs throating, and the feed ramp polished, ejection port lowered and a trigger job. Are you using SA mags and is your firing chamber clean? They are made for ball ammo at 1.250 to 1.260 OAL.
Old July 12, 2007, 09:40 AM   #13
Alert

with all those improvements shouldn't he have bought a Mil Spec or other higher end model with those refinements already built in ?

without endangering his warranty by having aftermarket improvements made by someone other than the factory
Old July 12, 2007, 09:45 AM   #14
CGSteve8718

I bought one not too long ago, I haven't put that many rounds through it yet, I've had one FTE but no feeding problems. I also purchased 2 extra mags from Springfield, hope that doesn't turn out to be a horrorshow.

I've put American Eagle 230gr FMJ and Triton Quickshok 165gr JHP through it so far.
Old July 12, 2007, 09:49 AM   #15
john in jax

Fixing the issue could be as easy as changing mags, or swaping in a slightly stronger recoil spring.

Please describe the "stoppage" in as much detail as possible.
Old July 12, 2007, 11:15 AM   #16
abarth

Feed ramp or timing, need more details. Did the round jambed on the ramp nose down or tiled up at a 45 degree halfway into the chamber(3 points jamb)? But either way send it back to Springfield.
Old July 12, 2007, 12:10 PM   #17
boogalou1

My Mil-Spec was always reliable with the standard SA, MMC, or Metalform mags. I only fed it my reloads and it had no problems with 230 HB or 200 SWC's. The only thing I remember changing was getting a 16# Wolff recoil spring.
Old July 12, 2007, 04:22 PM   #18
Edward429451

Quote:
Your barrel probably needs throating, and the feed ramp polished, ejection port lowered and a trigger job.
And an extended ejector. The reason to get this model an not an upgraded version is so that you get to pick the upgrades and not get the superfluous extras with the extra price.
Old July 12, 2007, 05:22 PM   #19
AK103K

Quote:
with all those improvements shouldn't he have bought a Mil Spec or other higher end model with those refinements already built in ?
With Springfield, its hit or miss, price or model doesnt have anything to do with it.

A Colt or GI spec 1911 will normally feed most of what you put in it, without any fiddling or trouble shooting necessary. Some older guns have a problem with some bullet types, and a T&P may be necessary, but not always.

If its still a problem, send it back to Springfield and tell them to figure it out. You paid good money for their product and they should fix it. You shouldnt have to continue to throw good money after bad trying to figure it out.

I will say this for Springfield, their mags have always worked well in most of my 1911's, not just the Springfields. You dont have to pay the Wilson premium to get a good mag, and Wilsons are not always foolproof. I've also had a couple that didnt work properly. The only mags that ever worked reliably in ALL my 1911's have been the $5 USGI contract mags(MFG.#30745).
Old July 13, 2007, 09:31 AM   #20
tegemu

If it's a new gun, it just may need to be broken in. I have had a couple of 1911's that took about 500-800 rounds to smooth out and become reliable.
Old February 14, 2009, 11:15 PM   #21
mattknivs26

i also have the springfield GI parkerised 5'' barrel. i had the feeding issues as well. /www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/reliability_secrets.htm had great info. I fallowed thier instructions and noticed a huge improvment in the pistols action and offcoarse reliability.

i have a 6"grinder w/t a buffing wheel attached, also set of nicholson "steel model files" 6 in all @ 6" each,round, triangle, half round and so on. also a set of "spyderco" ceramic files for fine work and pre polishing.

Paying special attention to the extractor and the barrel/chamber/throat area is important as i feel it was these areas that were giving me the issues w/t my GI.
now its as smooth as my old mans $1300 Kimber... i love it!