The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 27, 2004, 01:12 AM   #26
yorec

Hmm - the dimes thing intrests me, 4V50 Gary. Where did they place them - behind the ball? Ahead? Not sure why it would reduce recoil... ??? Extra room for gas expansion?

But wow - 30 cents a shot plus powder and lead in the mid 1800s! Bet not many of them made it a standard load...
Old January 2, 2005, 11:07 PM   #27
oconnell

try a belgium made 4 gage shotgun they were sold all over the place cheap I have one i bought in the early 80s for 60 buck s with a standard load the recoil will knock you down but boy will it smash targets
Old January 9, 2005, 02:33 PM   #28
Shep Madera

over time

Interesting idea, but eventually you may have to decide if you'll ever really shoot this cannon well. I don't expect to ever become a Master with my 30-30s but if I can shoot such decently and often plus encourage my sons to enjoy my guns, then that's worth quite a lot to me. If they dislike shooting because of the kick-your-head-off recoil, then (for me), what's the point?
Old January 9, 2005, 10:00 PM   #29
4V50 Gary
Staff

The dimes were placed into the barrel before the introduction of powder and left there (I don't think they wasted thirty cents a shot). Can't shoot out the dimes if they're below the powder. I suppose the dimes came out whenever the gun was cleaned, but afterwards, was probably dropped right back in there.

Oh, the term "Three cheers and a tiger" formally meant three buckshot and one ball and wasn't originally three dimes into the barrel.
Old February 15, 2005, 02:10 AM   #30
chaplain john

An Abusive BP Gun?

I had a 54 cal. Sharon Trade Rifle Kit produced before Hall Sharon lost the company that I thought was a bargain (bought cheap because the manager of the store didn't know what it was). Accuracy was good but anything above 50 grains of powder caused it to kill on one end and maim on the other. Now I'm not a little guy and at the time I was shooting a two band Enfield, a three band Springfield, a musketoon(all 58 cal.) and a Smith Carbine in competition but something about the stock configuration on that Sharon made it the most abusive rifle (bar none) that I have ever shot.
Old February 15, 2005, 10:31 PM   #31
getonit

I had a .50 armsport that was a real lightweight rifle- I shot 3F 100 gr.(I know-I know! )(and it did shoot accurate with that load- after the flames cleared! )out of it regularly and it kicked like a mule with lead feet- always got a big cheek bruise and took ribbing at work the next day-who'd you fight?
Old February 16, 2005, 02:37 PM   #32
1SHOT1KILL

How about this?
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...00139R44003470

or this

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...ku=00215PR4300

Just to stay on the safe side with any CVA, Traditions, or Winchester muzzleloader, I would stay away from heavy charges of powder (anything over 100 grains), say like Pyrodex and especailly with Triple Seven powder, and heavy bullet weights.