The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 24, 2014, 02:17 PM   #1
JERRYS.

where to buy a "pocket hammer"?

I have a charter arms off duty .38 snub and want to switch the hammer to a pocketable version. the only ones I see on the company web site are the ones that are bobbed flush with the back of the frame.

does anyone know where I can buy the old style pocket hammers that still allowed for S/A cocking?

thanks.
Old November 24, 2014, 02:26 PM   #2
publius

If you're talking about what I think you are; a very small thumb piece on the hammer? I think you are going to have to have one made.
Old November 24, 2014, 02:31 PM   #3
lee n. field

I have one, that I picked up off ebay. I couldn't get it to work well. (Unlike the factory bobbed hammer off their website, which worked perfectly.)

I think you're going to have to bob your own DA hammer. The good news is that Charter will freely sell you either current hammer for you to install, unlike some other revolver makers.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; November 24, 2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old November 24, 2014, 02:51 PM   #4
JERRYS.

I was hoping there was a stash or after market outfit that has the old style "pocket" hammers..... thanks.
Old November 24, 2014, 03:20 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

One solution to that problem is to learn to shoot double action. IIRC, the DA on the Charter (at least the old ones) is not bad (though not as good as an S&W) and even a hundred rounds plus dry fire should allow you to become reasonably competent at short range. Then you could carry a gun with a concealed or spurless hammer with confidence.

Jim
Old November 24, 2014, 03:22 PM   #6
JERRYS.

I've learned how to shoot double action quite well some years ago. the old style pocket hammer is era correct for my gun, not the new version.

Last edited by JERRYS.; November 25, 2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old November 24, 2014, 03:27 PM   #7
Slopemeno

Have you tried Numrich/Gun parts Corp?
Old November 24, 2014, 03:43 PM   #8
JERRYS.

no, but I will now.

just checked, sold out. thanks anyway.
Old November 24, 2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Dave Chuppa

I bobed my own on my S&W 37. I can cock it if I grip it with finger and thumb.
Old November 24, 2014, 05:25 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I've learned how to show double action quite well some years ago.
James K. has the answer, and I don't think he is talking about slow, target style shooting.
I can't grasp the idea of single action revolver hammer cocking for CCW. Actually not even safety clicking on a S/A cocked & locked auto. Too many good, safe, D/A and striker fired firearms of all types to add an extra step that could go wrong in a stressful situation.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 25, 2014, 09:10 AM   #11
deerslayer303

^^^ Agreed, My Mod. 36 rarely sees SA. I've learned to shoot DA very well. Oh SA is more accurate you say? Not if you learn to "stage" the cylinder. You don't need no stinking hammer spur.
Old November 25, 2014, 09:23 AM   #12
JERRYS.

I don't think some here understand. I don't use this gun long range slow fire target practice, it is a hide-away gun. the hammer spur is not conducive to pocket carry, or least not optimal. the new style slick back type hammers are not era correct for my gun. I want the old style "pocket" hammer. I mentioned it as the kind you can still cock for S/A fire for those that do not know what I'm talking about. that is all.
Old November 25, 2014, 09:51 AM   #13
deerslayer303

Sorry Jerry, I don't think we were knocking your choice of hammer. I was just speaking in general. And I think the guys were maybe being subjective as to the hammer that IS available for you. I totally understand your reasoning and good luck coming up with one.
Old November 25, 2014, 10:15 AM   #14
JERRYS.

Np. the search continues....
Old November 27, 2014, 07:36 PM   #15
Snyper

I'd just buy a regular hammer and cut it off myself
Old November 27, 2014, 08:21 PM   #16
JERRYS.

the kitchen table bobbing of the hammer is not the same. you're taking a hammer designed one way and making it considerably lighter by removing mass. that's a completely different animal than one designed like the old pocket hammers (retained mass but shaped differently).
Old November 27, 2014, 08:55 PM   #17
22FOREVER

I have a s & w model 638 with the flat hammer and love it.
Old November 28, 2014, 07:28 PM   #18
Snyper

Quote:
the kitchen table bobbing of the hammer is not the same. you're taking a hammer designed one way and making it considerably lighter by removing mass.
You don't have to remove enough "mass" to make any real difference, since there are factory hammers in the same configuration.
Old November 28, 2014, 08:17 PM   #19
lee n. field

Quote:
the kitchen table bobbing of the hammer is not the same. you're taking a hammer designed one way and making it considerably lighter by removing mass. that's a completely different animal than one designed like the old pocket hammers (retained mass but shaped differently).
The factory bobbed hammer has a lot less metal than the spurred hammer. It works fine.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 29, 2014, 08:59 AM   #20
JERRYS.

Quote:
The factory bobbed hammer has a lot less metal than the spurred hammer. It works fine.
the pictures show a smaller hammer pin hole leading me to believe it has the same amount of metal as the spur hammer with the bigger pin hole....

all this is moot. I wanted the old style pocket hammer for a reason and they just aren't around with any regularity.... will have to keep a sharp eye out....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UndercoverExplodedView-S.jpg (53.3 KB, 26 views)
Old November 29, 2014, 09:38 AM   #21
lee n. field

Check ebay. Last I looked there was one (for a .44 Bulldog). Ebay sellers tend to want way too much for them.
Old November 29, 2014, 03:38 PM   #22
lowercase

Jerry,

To echo others, keep an eye out for them on eBay.

Also, they pop up from time to time on gunbroker.

The one I have required some fitting to work properly, but I like having it.

Good luck with your search.

-lc
Old December 2, 2014, 03:41 PM   #23
JERRYS.

I just spoke with Donna at Charter Arms. my Bridgeport stamped Bulldog is en route to have the old style pocket hammer installed and the gun given the once over. (they have a small quantity of .44spl old style pocket hammers in stock).
Old December 2, 2014, 09:39 PM   #24
lowercase

Quote:
I just spoke with Donna at Charter Arms. my Bridgeport stamped Bulldog is en route to have the old style pocket hammer installed and the gun given the once over. (they have a small quantity of .44spl old style pocket hammers in stock).
Way cool!

I may have to send my Bulldog in for the same treatment. Those pocket hammers are great.

This is the one I just got installed on my vintage Undercover.

Last edited by lowercase; December 2, 2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old December 2, 2014, 09:57 PM   #25
JERRYS.

the bad part is they don't have any of the .38 off duty/undercover pocket hammers. for mine I will have to search high and low....