The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 13, 2010, 06:35 PM   #1
DE Shooter

Rem 1100 accessory quality

I recently aquired a vintage 1974 field grade 12; plain 28in mod barrel. It must of seen many years of hunting abuse. Not much blue left, some light rust, heavily wore and cracked stock. BUT, it cycled 7/8oz light target and 00 magnum mixed, rapid fire and some other cycling drills FLAWLESS. I don't need another 12 hunter. So, I would like to cut the barrel, extend the tube and add a stock set. I've been looking at what's out there. Which ones fit the 1100 best and are reliable. Any help appreciated.
Old September 13, 2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Miata Mike

I have purchased a camo synthetic replacement stock for my buddy's 1100 from eBay and it works real well, but it is a copy of the stock wood. His stock was cracked too.
Old September 14, 2010, 04:00 AM   #3
DE Shooter

I like the looks of the Speedfeed and ATI types; a couple others too. I guess I'm looking for fit and function info. Anyone have info on good tube extensions, fit and function for older Rem1100s? I want to legally cut the barrel down but not to where it affects cycling various loads, if that's possible. Any info appreciated.
Old September 14, 2010, 08:00 AM   #4
gotigers

I just built a 3 gun shottie. I found a mid 80's 1100 at a local shop.

I added a choate 8+1 tube extention. I like it. It seems well made. I had to cut the super long spring down. IT was nice having 9 rounds in my gun at the last 3 gun.

I bought a 21 inch barrel instead of cutting. Sold the 28" barrel to cover the cost. If you cut you lose choke. Cylinder bore with a short barrel will have a large pattern. It is ok for home defense but not much else.

Nordic Components and Daves metal works are very good quality. Choate, ATI and Tacstar are ok quality.
Old September 14, 2010, 09:03 AM   #5
MTT TL

While I have no problem with this I can't help but wonder if 30 years from now somebody will be looking at your handi-work saying "Noooo!"
Old September 14, 2010, 10:05 AM   #6
gotigers

There are millions of Rem 1100s and 1100 barrels out there. No one will worry about it.
Old September 14, 2010, 11:54 AM   #7
jfruser

Mag Ext / BBL Clamp Type HW

The Nordic Components stuff is beautifully machined and detailed. Top quality. None better that I have seen. I have a bbl/mag ext clamp on my HD 1100.

Scattergun Tech/Wilson mag ext is built like a brick you-know-what, but still required a mag ext/bbl clamp. I have one on my HD 1100.

Choate is not as pretty as either of the above, but is perfectly serviceable. I used Choate HW on a police trade-in 870 and it works great (mag ext, bbl/mag clamp, fore end with picatinny rail).

If you want it pretty and functional, go Nordic and/or Wilson. If you just want function, Choate will do the trick.

I prefer an 18" bbl, so went with +2 mag extenders.

Stock & Fore-end

If function is all you desire in a fore-end, Choate produces a synthetic one with a picatinny rail that mounts at 3/6/9 o'clock to mount a combat light like the TLR-3 or TLR-1 (my first & second suggested combat lights).

Remington parts store sells several different stock sets and stocks by their own selves as well as a spacer set that would be a nice way to tune the fit.

---------

My Rem 870 with Choate HW:

My Rem 1100 with Scattergun Tech / Wilson mag ext before Nordic clamp:

----------

Have fun & good luck.
Old September 14, 2010, 08:44 PM   #8
DE Shooter

Excellent info...thanks to all. jfruser: nice pics, surely looks solid...thanks. MTT TL: if I'm still around 30yrs from now, you can have it and put any barrel on it you want...the kick would probably kill me anyway! There's a show up at the Philly armory at the end of the month, now I have another reason to go browse.