The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 27, 2012, 01:53 PM   #26
Rifleman1952

Well, if even one shot fired from within a vehicle will cause permanent hearing damage (regardless of caliber), then the OP and the hypothetical symphony conductor, should consider some other means of self-defense from within their vehicle. My livelihood is not based upon hearing. In my case, I would be willing to sacrifice a percentage of my hearing ability in order to save my life or the lives of loved ones. The odds are that I will never be carjacked or pulled out of my car and beaten while leaving a state fair. None-the-less, I believe in being prepared.
Old November 27, 2012, 03:43 PM   #27
Chris9472

Quote:
Well, if even one shot fired from within a vehicle will cause permanent hearing damage (regardless of caliber), then the OP and the hypothetical symphony conductor, should consider some other means of self-defense from within their vehicle.
I haven't tested it of course, but I'm willing to take a chance with the much quieter .22LR in the car rather then nothing.

Quote:
The odds are that I will never be carjacked or pulled out of my car and beaten while leaving a state fair. None-the-less, I believe in being prepared.
Sure, and your right. I'm sure everyone else who found themselves in that proverbial bad situation probably said the same thing.

It all depends on where you live also. Some one out in the rural areas probably will never have to worry about carjacking, someone living in a big city nowadays... maybe.
Old November 27, 2012, 03:54 PM   #28
allaroundhunter

Quote:
I haven't tested it of course, but I'm willing to take a chance with the much quieter .22LR in the car rather then nothing.
A .22 out of a short barreled revolver is not as quiet as you are thinking that it is...
Old November 27, 2012, 07:47 PM   #29
Glenn E. Meyer

One of the most impressive booms I heard was a 22 mag in a confined space. Had muffs but I thought I blew up!

BTW, while I'm a big advocate of hearing potential - using a 22 for hearing protection is a low priority. If I carry a 22 it's a bug or some other special circumstance.
Old November 28, 2012, 10:55 AM   #30
2damnold4this

Quote:
A .22 out of a short barreled revolver is not as quiet as you are thinking that it is...

That's right. A .22lr out of a revolver is louder than a .32 S&W long and much louder than a .32 S&W short. If I was afraid to shoot a .38 Special due to noise, I'd carry a .32 long with wadcutters.
Old November 29, 2012, 06:05 AM   #31
Chris9472

Quote:
That's right. A .22lr out of a revolver is louder than a .32 S&W long and much louder than a .32 S&W short. If I was afraid to shoot a .38 Special due to noise, I'd carry a .32 long with wadcutters.
Can you give me any specific makes and models that fire the .32 long? That's not something I'm much familiar with.
Old November 29, 2012, 09:43 AM   #32
mavracer

Quote:
I think you should actually test it and answer you own question try shooting a 22 lr snub and a 38 snub and see just how much quieter the 22lr isn't
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old November 29, 2012, 09:59 AM   #33
2damnold4this

S&W, Colt, Ruger and other manufacturers have made revolvers that can fire the .32 S&W long cartridge. A firearm that can chamber the .327 Federal Magnum can fire the 32long as can one chambered in .32 H&R magnum.

If you had a handgun chambered in .327 Fed or .32 H&R mag, you would have the versatility of a more powerful (but louder) cartridge when you wanted it and the ability to shoot quieter .32 longs or .32 S&W. .32 ammo isn't as easy to find on store shelves as it once was and can be expensive if you don't reload.

Here is an example of a J frame Smith for sale in .32 S&WL, here is a Charter Arms in .32 Mag which can also shoot .32L and here is a Taurus in .327 federal that can shoot .32 mag and .32 long.

.32 S&W and .32 S&W long cartridges don't have a lot of power and they still make more noise than pepper spray but they make less noise than most other cartridges.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:27 AM   #34
mavracer

Quote:
.32 S&W and .32 S&W long cartridges don't have a lot of power and they still make more noise than pepper spray but they make less noise than most other cartridges.
they are not appreciatively quieter than 38 special target wadcutters and those are easier to find and don't require a gun purchase if he already has a LCR.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old November 29, 2012, 10:41 AM   #35
SPEMack618

I got to experience fighting within the confines of a Humvee once. M-4s in the cab and an M-2 .50 going off above my head.

I don't know the science behind auditory exclusion, but after getting back to the FOB, my ears felt fine (I had in an ear piece in one ear) but I felt like I did back in high school after getting a concussion during football.

So, my point is, if it comes to your guns, you might not even notice your ears.
Old November 29, 2012, 11:18 AM   #36
2damnold4this

Quote:
they are not appreciatively quieter than 38 special target wadcutters and those are easier to find and don't require a gun purchase if he already has a LCR.
I beg to differ. While I don't have any special measuring equipment, .38 wadcutters sure sound louder to me than .32L.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:24 PM   #37
Chris9472

Quote:
I think you should actually test it and answer you own question try shooting a 22 lr snub and a 38 snub and see just how much quieter the 22lr isn't
I haven't tested one in a car, but in my youth I have shot some inside a house, and I've shot them outside and watched videos of other people doing so.

They sound like cap guns compared to most centerfire cartridges.
Old November 29, 2012, 07:27 PM   #38
Chris9472

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, I didn't think a .32 S&W would be quieter then a .22 lr. Seems like a physical impossibility.

Are target wadcutters significantly quieter then regular .38spl? If that's the case, I can try some out in my LCR first.

My perfected method of carry is in the pocket, so it would be a good idea to have another gun within reach as I wouldn't be able to get at my pockets while strapped into a car.

Last edited by Chris9472; November 29, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old December 2, 2012, 05:59 PM   #39
jackpine

no matter what firearm you shoot there will be hearing loss. A 22 lr will not help you out mutch at all. About all you could do is get a suppressor but then you have an NFA item stored in your car, if by chance it was stolen out of your car you would be in deep deep trouble. I just stick with my glock and say good enough.
Old December 2, 2012, 08:19 PM   #40
dawg23

Several websites, including this one ( http://www.m1911.org/loudness.htm) list the noise level of a .22LR handgun at 152 dB.

The people who are saying a gunshot report will permanently damage your hearing are correct -- but they fail to quantify the amount of damage. Hearing damage is permanent, and usually cumulative, but in most cases occurs in very small increments.

Last edited by dawg23; December 2, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:51 PM   #41
jackpine

and another point is that you are trying to defend your life. Hearing loss you can live with death well----- select something that will help you stop the fight as soon as possible because a marginal stopper is just that marginal and we are looking for a stopper not a pop gun.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:02 PM   #42
allaroundhunter

Quote:
and another point is that you are trying to defend your life. Hearing loss you can live with death well
That's what I thought.....except the OP seems to think that life without/with limited hearing is not worth living.... I guess we all have our priorities
Old December 2, 2012, 11:13 PM   #43
chucknbach

Quote:
You would both be very wrong, all it takes is one single exposure to suffer permanent damage, and when inside a vehicle the blast will be almost doubled. I fired a single .357 with no protection and my left ear has high frequency hearing loss and tinnitus. If you don't believe me research it. Also before you go on to say it cant happen from just one shot, mods have warned posters about such and will ban you for endangering peoples well being with false information. Hearing loss is no joke, especially when you get stuck with Tinnitus which is permanent ringing in the ear.
Whoa, stop a second and pull the stick out. The guy didn't state fact just his belief. Big difference!

I had 2 .357 shots at muzzle level mear inches from my left ear. Couldn't hear out of the ear for a week with all the ringing. No noticeable hearing loss. I'm checked yearly and my hearing is normal. .357 has to be the highest pitched blast outta all of them.

I wouldn't feel unarmed with a .22, they will punch through a human skull. They also have the benifit of not making such a mess on the interior of your car.
Old December 3, 2012, 07:52 PM   #44
Jammer Six

I've been carjacked. At the time, I was armed. I let them have the car.

My point is that a weapon is not an "anti-carjack defense weapon", it's just a weapon.

I got my car back about forty minutes later, the bad guy went to jail, everyone who mattered was happy.

I teach that weapons are for the defense of life, and that each episode must be judged on the spot, separately and accurately.

If you can get out of a situation by giving up your car, your wallet, your keys, your hat, I teach to do so.

If that won't work, you need a weapon. And at that point, I wouldn't want a .22.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:26 PM   #45
allaroundhunter

Quote:
My point is that a weapon is not an "anti-carjack defense weapon", it's just a weapon.

I got my car back about forty minutes later, the bad guy went to jail, everyone who mattered was happy.

I teach that weapons are for the defense of life, and that each episode must be judged on the spot, separately and accurately.

If you can get out of a situation by giving up your car, your wallet, your keys, your hat, I teach to do so.

If that won't work, you need a weapon. And at that point, I wouldn't want a .22.
The best words of wisdom thus far.
Old December 4, 2012, 12:11 AM   #46
chucknbach

Skip the guns get one of these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQbHnLSasfQ
Old December 4, 2012, 01:50 AM   #47
klyph3

If your hearing is truly valuable enough to consider sacrificing your life, you might consider some in ear or over the ear electronic hearing protection to wear at all times when in public. A car backfiring, an air tank rupturing, or any number of loud hearing damaging noises are far more likely to happen to you than a defensive gun use.
Old December 6, 2012, 02:59 PM   #48
simonrichter

Quote:
I dunno, but I'm beginning to think that the best defense against being car-jacked is a manual transmission.
what is this all about with you Americans loathing manual transmission?

Back on topic:

in confined spaces, I reckon you can get serious hearing damage from a .22 as well, particularly if it's a wheelgun with the cylinder gap adding a few dB to the bang, as someone has already pointed out above. The only solutions would be 1.) a can or 2.) the use of special ammunition for in-room-training which produces clearly lower sound levels. The problem with the latter is that its terminal ballistics are even more questionable than with standard .22lr loads, around 60 joules instead of 110, depending on barrel lenght. (44 instead of 81 lbs/ft, to stay imperial...).
Old December 6, 2012, 03:02 PM   #49
allaroundhunter

Quote:
what is this all about with you Americans loathing manual transmission?

.....who said Americans loathe manual transmissions?....
Old December 6, 2012, 03:13 PM   #50
kimbershot

play the odds. yes, bad things happen--odds of it happening to you are remote. don't do stupid stuff--ie hang around wrong places at the wrong time. if your gonna carry and your gonna defend yourself, your not gonna have much time. do what you gotta do and be done with it--carry as much as you and situation warrants.
Closed Thread