The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 24, 2001, 01:16 AM   #1
PreserveFreedom

Non-Metallic Batons

On another board, a member in Finland mentioned that civilians were prohibited from owning metallic expandable batons. They do sell a non-metallic version though. I think they are made from some kind of polycarbonate. Has anyone here had experience with a non-metallic baton? Are they worth looking into? The only reason I am intrigued is because of the weight it would be able to cut down on. It could be especially good for bicyclists.

Old September 24, 2001, 05:25 AM   #2
KPS

As the lightweight aluminum batons aren't very durable for hitting (they bend sometimes), I'm not sure the polycarbonate batons would be much useful on anything but a small dog.
Old September 24, 2001, 04:11 PM   #3
KSFreeman

PF, one of the instructors where I study the kubotan really pushes the plastic ridged kubotan. He feels its weight and surface provided a great advantage, plus they do not trip metal detectors. (The way he uses it, it is very painful).

I have a pistol for doggies and do not want to contract rabies or any doggie germs. But if you want an impact weapon go to any gun show and buy an old nightstick for a few bucks. I have one from the Terre Haute PD for $3.00. I purchased it several years ago at a show in Indianapolis. (Bought a S&W M28 too from THPD).

In Indiana no hassle about carrying clubs.
Old September 25, 2001, 01:52 AM   #4
PreserveFreedom

Kind of what I figured. Metal is better than plastic but plastic is better than nothing. There is one thing that I did learn though. If we can learn from history at all, we should see that many countries follow each other's laws. When I manage to get a little ahead, I think I'll be stocking up on three or four good ASPs before they get outlawed here as well.

Old December 18, 2001, 07:18 PM   #5
johelin

Batons made out of metal are legal to own here, but their use and carry is illegal as they are considered to be dangerous edged weapons (knifes, steel tubes, etc.).

I carry non-metallic baton sometimes for work. I think it's made here, but I am not sure. Material is black nylon, three pieces, length closed 24 cm, extended 56 cm, diameter 3,6 cm.