The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2016, 04:11 PM   #26
F. Guffey

Quote:
Not all brass has the same measurement from base to shoulder. Not all rifles have same measurement from bolt face to chamber shoulder. I own several cz rifles, where in some brands of brass, the measurement from base to shoulder measurably shortens after firing. Consistently and repeatedly.
Quote:
Theories are excellent reference points, but personally believe what I see.
Zeke, If I load and then fire a case the case can get shorter from the end of the neck to the case head but if I measured before and again after firing and I find the case got shorter from the shoulder of the case to the cases head I want my money back. I know, there could be a problem with getting my money back because most of the cases I use cost me as little as 1¢ to 11¢ each.

Then there are those that that have hammering firing pins. They claim the case shortens when fired; I have trouble getting my case heads to get off of the bolt face. I have killer firing pins, my firing pins crush the primer before the case, powder and bullet know their little buddy the primer has been crushed.

I have hammered cases, I have purchased barrels with unknown chambers, all the information I could get from the gun parts store is “We do not know, all we know is it wont shoot”, On a few I lubed the chamber than drove a case into the chamber with a drift, After driving the case into the chamber I drove the case out because more times than not there was not enough case protruding from the chamber to clamp onto.

Same thing with Wilson case gages. I have formed cases to the gage by driving cases into the gage with a straight drift and hammer. I stood the case gage on a block of lead, this allowed the case to protrude from the small end. AND! Do not forget to lube the case gage.

F. Guffey.

Last edited by F. Guffey; March 21, 2016 at 04:18 PM. Reason: change tomes to times
Old March 21, 2016, 05:13 PM   #27
zeke

"There is a slight jam fit with some new cases, and firing the round appears to fire form the case."

The rest of the quote?

Not a problem, but am not sending the rifles back. Really like em, and personally believe what I see/measure.

Am having my first experiences reloading round with broad sharp shoulder. Tried neck sizing them, then loading them before running through action. Could feel the pressure required to load the round into the chamber, and that by itself was enough to slightly size the case by pushing the shoulder back. Ran the 20 odd reloads through the action, and they were easier to chamber when fired.
Old March 21, 2016, 06:07 PM   #28
F. Guffey

Quote:
There is a slight jam fit with some new cases,
That is my favorite case, problem; manufacturers sell cases that are minimum length/full length sized. That leaves me to sorting through fired cases at the range when looking for cases that are too long for a chamber. As we all know there is the 280 Remington case that has an extra .051” between the shoulder and case head for anything that is 30/06 with a long chamber.

F. Guffey