The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2013, 08:42 PM   #26
oldandslow

Problem solved- 5000 bad Wolf primers

Greetings all, 2/16/13

I tried a heavy load as per some suggestions with 25 grains of 4064 and 2 of 3 primers had blow-by.

I loaded some 9mm cases with 4.1 grains of W-231 under a 135 grain cast lead bullet (boolit) and used the Wolf small rifle primers. I had 6 of 83 (about 7%) blow-by even at the low 9mm load pressures.

I scrounged some Winchester Small rifle primers from a friend and loaded six .223 rounds with 25 grains 4064- no blow-by. I loaded 10 cases with 24 grains of 4064 and still no primer blow-by.

Summary- Wolf small primer blow-by with low pressure 9mm ammo and in 223 in low to high pressure loads. No blow-by with same .223 loads in same brass (RP) and powder at medium to high powder loads with Winchester Small Rifle primers. So it seems my lot of SRP's from Wolf, lot# 5-09, is defective. Now what to do with 5000 defective Wolf primers? Thanks to all.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old February 16, 2013, 11:34 AM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

What a pain that is. Wish we could figure out why.

I measured the thickness of the material at the mouths of the primer cups on some of the TulAmmo KVB556M primers I have (it is generally assumed the Wolf and TulAmmo primers come from the same plant because their performance is so identical) with calipers, and I get different numbers going all around the rim of the cup. This is due to a burr biased in on one side. It appears from marks on the edge to be from how the cups are trimmed to correct height. If that same burr was smeared to the outside, it could certainly create a gap for gas bypass upon seating. I'd then expect it to seat hard (though the Russian primers tend to anyway, so this would be extra hard).

When you deprime the leakers, can you spot where they're doing this?

I would call Wolf and explain and see if they'll let you exchange them for another lot.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 16, 2013, 11:52 AM   #28
Fatelvis

Quote:
I scrounged some Winchester Small rifle primers from a friend and loaded six .223 rounds with 25 grains 4064- no blow-by. I loaded 10 cases with 24 grains of 4064 and still no primer blow-by.
Use Winchester primers. The other primers seem to be undersized.