The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 1, 2002, 09:40 PM   #1
Prodigalshooter

Oversize grips for S&W 60

I have been looking at all the grip makers and still don't see any quite big enough for my wife's model 60. I've checked Hogues, Ajax, Nill, Eagle, Pachmayer, Getagrip, probably a few more I've forgotten. What she'd like is a grip 1/4" thicker from side to side, up to a 1/2" bigger front to rear,maybe a 1/4" longer and with fingergrooves, w/o checkering. Basically it would be the same shape as the grips that came with the gun, just bigger. Can anyone point us towards a custom maker who could do this?
I realize this would probably be in the "C" note area, but it'd be worth it to her.
TIA
Brian & JoAnne
Old May 3, 2002, 12:04 AM   #2
Captain Bligh

I sure do like the looks of the Nill grips. I'd like to order a set for my Model 60. Does anybody have a Model 60 sporting these that they could report on? It seems to be the best wood alternative I've seen but I have no practical experience with them.

RJ
Old September 5, 2002, 02:02 AM   #3
Paul Fitz Jones

Smith 60 grip

I have carried a Fitz GF Gunfighter grip on my model 60 as my off duty weapon as a Marshal and while retired with my CCW.

It was designed for police off duty weapons with the back strap left exposed to not shorten the trigger finger for smaller hands and some added below the frame for bigger hands. It does not hang up on clothes like a rubber grip and is designed for an inside belt holster and for orienting for firing right or left handed around barricades or two handed in the dark from the waist.

Many officers I taught with this grip in my classes were extremely accurate at the 7 yard line in the dark.

GO to the fitz site and ask about it while they last.
[email protected]
Police Firearms Instructor
Old September 9, 2002, 10:11 AM   #4
ATTICUS

Altamont makes some nice rosewood ones for the 60 at a very reasonable price (about $35).

Sorry, I didn't realize this post was five months old.
Old September 9, 2002, 10:37 AM   #5
Walosi

Take a look at Don Collins' selections:

http://www.collinscraftgrips.com/

Type in J Frame, in his search feature. He has a wide array of J Frame grips, from half a C to way over, in a variety of styles, materials and sizes. I use the one in his Picture ID # 160. This grip is slim, but covers the backstrap. With it, I have about the same trigger reach as with a K Frame, good control, and they hide out almost as well as boot grips.
Old September 9, 2002, 04:49 PM   #6
Alex Johnson

I bought a set of grips on ebay a couple weeks ago, thought they were the smallest set of uncle mikes boot grips, but what I got was a larger version with a an extra finger groove and the backstrap completely covered. They feel good, but they don't do much to help concealement. I believe they are the same kind that are sold with the 640's.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain