The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 18, 2001, 04:14 PM   #1
Dave T

Picked up a Ruger Vaquero (used) recently in 45 Colt. As has become my habbit, I miked the chamber mouths to see what size cast lead bullets would perform best.

To my considerable surprise a couple of the chambers measured less than .450". There is no way this gun would shoot .452"-.454" bullets accurately. This may be why it was sold cheep (under $300) dispite having some added features like a Belt Mountain cylinder pin, a wide Super Blackhawk hammer, and a trigger job.

In talking to a friend of mine I learned he had the same problem with his 45 Colt Ruger. He referred me to a gunsmith who had a 45 Colt chamber reamer which opened the chamber mouths to .4545", which is just right for the .454" bullets I prefer.

If your late model Ruger in 45 doesn't shoot very well, you might check the diameter of the chamber mouths. This may be the cause.
Old April 19, 2001, 02:00 AM   #2
The Montanan

Dave this has been a problem in the past with the Ruger 45 Colt caliber for some reason. I had to do the same thing on my past two Ruger 45 Colts in both a Bisley and a Blackhawk.

I didn't send mine out but did them myself in about 30 minutes each to fix.
Old April 20, 2001, 12:40 AM   #3
Dave T

Montana,
I was wondering if it was just my friend and I. It sounds like you had the same experience.

I've owned a bunch of Ruger Blackhawks over the years and they used to run oversized. The flat top 44s I've had ran to .430" and larger. Wonder what's up with these 45s. You'd think a company like Ruger, producing 45 Colt single actions for cowboy action shooters, could get the chamber mouths to be at least 45 caliber!

If I had paid retail for this thing I would be really ticked off. Since it was used and reasonably priced it isn't so bad but still...they should be able to get it closer than this.