The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 28, 2001, 11:19 PM   #1
Red Label

Has anyone here bought and used any of the "exotic 12 gauge ammo" as sold at http://www.realammo.com? There's some pretty 'nasty' stuff there. Some of it would be questionable for defense use (especially in wooded areas), but should certainly do the job. Just curious if it performs as advertised. It better for $3 - $5 a shell!
Old February 28, 2001, 11:30 PM   #2
Coronach

Someone asked about it a while ago. Personal opinion? It might be fine for s***s and giggles, but thats about it.

No practical advantage over buckshot and a significant legal liability. Thanks, no.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old March 1, 2001, 01:39 AM   #3

I get a kick out of that stuff. It is stuff like that, that gives gun shows a bad name. As I have said many times before, what would a load of carpet tacks do that a load of OO buckshot wouldn't ?
Old March 1, 2001, 06:31 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

All the exotic stuff does better than standard loads is vacuum money from one's wallet. At typical HD ranges, a field load will create the same damage as a load of depleted uranium 000 rubbed with garlic,thin dimes blessed by Colonel Cooper or the Pope, or any other exotic and offwall load one can name.

Instead of wasting money on this stuff, buy a case of whatever strikes you as a good load for the job, shoot it, and get proficiency, which will help your survival odds much more than specialty/exotic ammo.
Old March 1, 2001, 11:49 AM   #5
Red Label

I agree with you guys that a load of buck shot would do as well/better than this stuff, and for a much cheaper price tag. I wasn't really interested in anything with chains or tacks in it. It was mainly the double slug thing that I was looking at. And I have to admit, the "4,000 degree wall of fire" would sure be something to see -- LOL. But I agree, most of this is just "kid stuff", albeit very destructive and demented kid stuff...
Old March 4, 2001, 02:12 AM   #6
Zoosh

Looks fun, but...

I'm sure it would be a lot of fun to try out those
flamethrower rounds, etc, but, as everyone else
on this board said, it would be a huge mistake
to load that for actual self-defense, for legal
and practical reasons.

Also, they *say* that this stuff doesn't damage
the barrel, but I wouldn't want to shoot it through
a barrel I cared about. Maybe after I get a new
Vang barrel, I'll try some of those flame rounds
through my old barrel, just for fun.
Old March 4, 2001, 02:21 AM   #7

I have seen those "Dragons Breath" or whatever they are called. They are impressive, just make sure that you arn't firing one where there is a danger of starting a brush fire. I have also fired a "duplex" load out of a .38 (two bullets that appeared to be wadcutters loaded in the same brass). The worked as advertised. They hit about 10 inches apart at about 10 yards. I think this same thing in a 12 gauge would be devastating. Sure, this stuff is fun to play with, buy some, try it out and get back to us.
Old March 4, 2001, 07:42 AM   #8
AR-10

Some of the stuff mentioned above is illegal to own in Iowa. Might want to check that out where you live before you have UPS deliver potential contraband to your home. Just a thought.
Old March 4, 2001, 12:24 PM   #9
Red Label

Thanks for the input.

I will order some the double slug ammo. Thinking about the flame throwers, but I have the same concerns about the effects on the barrel. That "wall of fire" is supposed to be 4,000 degrees -- I would hope that it heats up AFTER leaving the barrel. Otherwise, my 1300 would have one non-changable barrel welded to it...

P.S. I live in Montana. No restrictions here. And everything already burned-up last summer...
Old March 4, 2001, 02:12 PM   #10
Christopher II

Let me reiterate what 444 said about Dragon's Breath ammo. It's real pretty to shoot off at night, but don't do it with alot of dry brush around. A guy at my skeet club did just that, and started a fire that took myself, the other three trap boys, and the maganger half an hour to put out.

It does look cool, though. I wouldn't fire any through your Perazzi...

Later,
Chris
Old March 4, 2001, 11:42 PM   #11
Coronach

Bwahahahahaha

I remember loading my friends' cigarettes when i was in high school and college. Imagine sneaking one of those dragon's breath rounds into a buddy's mag tube...

No! Seriously! Don't do it! Not safe! Not nice!

But damn, that'd be funny...

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old March 5, 2001, 11:31 AM   #12
Red Label

Good one Mike! That would be funny! I'd want to have a a slurry bomber on standby though, to put out the flames on the target, the range, etc...

I had enough of a "surprize" one day on the range when I mixed a 3" magnum slug in with the no. 8 birdshot I was shooting. I can't imagine my reaction to the Dragon's Breath. But I'm sure I'd need a new change of underwear -- LOL.
Old March 5, 2001, 10:11 PM   #13
Cowgunner

maybe that flamethrower load would improve my skeet shooting skills.......
Old March 13, 2001, 01:06 PM   #14
GotGun?

The flamethrowers might be great for duck hunting.

You could have roast duck for lunch !
Old March 16, 2001, 11:51 AM   #15
Glamdring

I have a friend who uses the bird bomb load [or whatever they call it] on his farm a bit. I'll have to ask him if he has tried the dragon's breath though.