The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2013, 07:18 PM   #1
30-378

Another stupid question

I posted about the set up that we had bought and know trying to put a order together for some dies and the charge master but was wondering if I would be able to use the lock ring and that accurately sets the die back next reloading session or not I was told to get the hornady locking dies and agree but there not in stock and would like to get only the things in stock on this order.

And I know I need to measure the rounds each time I change the dies but if the locking dies do any better or eliminate any steps.
Old June 15, 2013, 09:41 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

With the exception of the Lee locking rings, which you set each time, standard lock rings have a set screw or a cross-bolt screw to fix their positions on the die. This is intended to relocate them to the same place each time. However, you want to check a test round with them each time to be sure you didn't get them tightened a little differently than at the previous session. After while you'll get the feel of it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 16, 2013, 09:24 AM   #3
David Bachelder

Rockchucker wasn't it?

Look at the Hornady Lock and Load press adapter and die bushings. They will save you a ton of time.
Old June 16, 2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Jim Watson

That is what the lock ring is for.
If you are loading match rifle ammunition, you will want to double check your product, but the lock ring is going to get you back where you were or very close.
Old June 16, 2013, 11:40 AM   #5
30-378

Ok so thats good to know for now because there on back order and I will defanantly be wanting them in the future thanks