The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 3, 2011, 09:25 PM   #1
scwhitetail

Glock 23 Problems

Recently purchased a Glock 23 -.40 S&W, while not new to handguns, this is my first Glock. While I'm not the world's best pistol shooter, I can shoot very well with my other pistols. At 20 yards, the bullet out of the Glock his hitting in the dirt several feet in front of the target. I was shooting Federal American Eagle 180 grain FMJ bullets, and some mil surplus hollow points. Both of these performed comparably. I'm positive that I am not pulling the shots down. So my question is this, is it me , or the gun? Is there anything different about shooting the Glock versus other handguns I should know? If it matters I am a little over 6'5" so i tend to have to shoot at a fairly steep downward angle compared to most people. And like I said, I shoot very well with my other handguns, Beretta 92 FS and a Ruger .357 mag revolver.
Old December 3, 2011, 10:21 PM   #2
jhenry

Have you shot it off of a good rest yet to eliminate shooter error? That should be the first step. It is likely not the gun, but if it is, it will be apparent fairly quickly.
Old December 3, 2011, 10:32 PM   #3
5.56RifleGuy

Its you.
Old December 3, 2011, 11:09 PM   #4
scwhitetail

No, I haven't tried shooting it from a rest, that's a good idea. I was pretty dissapointed. I expected the Glock to be a very accurate, easy to shoot gun. I think I'd be a little more willing to accept that it is me if my father had been able to do any better. Granted, we are both first time Glock users, but still... I don't understand why we can't shoot this gun. Last time I took my 9mm out, there was just a gaping hole where the bull's eye used to be. If I was a crappy shot, I could accept the fact that it wasn't the gun more easily.

I'll try to get out tomorrow and shoot it from a rest. Hopefully that will give a little more insight into the problem.

Last edited by scwhitetail; December 3, 2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old December 4, 2011, 11:34 AM   #5
TRDFurgesson

Do you have friends that shoot Glock on a regular basis? Maybe have them try it? Very interested on how your shooting from a rest goes. I have a 23 Gen4 and love it, shot it against everything and only HK can compare.

A Glock that is not maintained will last, a Glock that is maintained will last a long time, and a Glock that is well maintained will last longer than you will.
Old December 4, 2011, 04:19 PM   #6
scwhitetail

Alright, it was just some bad ammo. Went out and ran a few boxes of Remington and Federal Champion through it. Shot great. groups were fairly tight and consistent. Not sure if I'm a Glock fan yet, but I'm very pleased.
Old December 4, 2011, 08:05 PM   #7
tjhands

Well, from your post above, it sounds like you might have figured out how to shoot your gun. If you go back and shoot the ammo that you shot initially, I think you'll find that it was you the entire time. No factory-loaded ammo will shoot several FEET off target at common handgun distances. It just doesn't happen.
Old December 4, 2011, 10:07 PM   #8
scwhitetail

I don't know man. I'm perplexed. First group today was about a 1 inch group with different ammo at about the same distance as I shot originally. I didn't change a thing as to how i was shooting. I'd be real curious to figure out what was going on last week. Regardless of the reason, It/me is shooting great groups now, and I'm very happy with it.
Old December 4, 2011, 10:33 PM   #9
jhenry

At any rate, the firearm is reliable and accurate and you are pleased with it. I have a Glock 23 as my carry gun and couldn't be happier with it.

Tags
.40 s&w , accuracy problems , glock , mechanical problems