The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 25, 2010, 01:57 AM   #1
wyobohunter

CCW and public restrooms

Thought that would get your attention

Seriously. I recently started carrying a Gov. size 1911. I bought a Galco FLETCH holster and a Galco SB2 (belt). The setup is very comfortable for walking, sitting and driving, however when nature calls for a sitting position (need to unbuckle the belt), my gun belt wants to slide out of my belt loop and flop the gun on the ground. Of course I realize this and don't let it "flop"... But letting my nice new holster and gun lay on a public restroom floor:barf:

Anybody else have this dilema?

When I had a regular (but floppy/uncomfortable and oversized) belt the solution was simple, I'd just buckle the belt in the last hole and the whole deal would go right down with my pants... My new belt fits perfectly, so this is no longer an option
Old January 25, 2010, 02:25 AM   #2
roklok

I think a stiffer belt should help, or a Wilderness Instructor belt with which you can double the velcro portion back on itself without going through the buckle. This keeps it from falling out of belt loop
Old January 25, 2010, 05:34 AM   #3
highvel

That and reasons like driving with seatbelts on is why I went to a shoulder holster, I think it's more comfortable and conceals better.
Old January 25, 2010, 06:20 AM   #4
mrt949

I use the stall .But I pocket carry no problems.
Old January 25, 2010, 06:26 AM   #5
ClayInTx

wyobohunter,

Reverse your belt.
Old January 25, 2010, 07:05 AM   #6
drail

Whatever you do just don't hang it on the little hook through the trigger guard. I used to take a piece of shoelace and tie a small loop through the holster strap/clip and hang the holstered gun on the little hook through THAT. Just leave the loop tied on all the time.
Old January 25, 2010, 08:48 AM   #7
Locoweed

I pocket carry and have no problems.
Old January 25, 2010, 08:56 AM   #8
Dingoboyx

Or.....

Hold it in your hand (your gun) whilst having a poop.... you never know, it might be a real big mean NASTY one
Old January 25, 2010, 10:01 AM   #9
BillCA

As you've found out, the buckle is a substantial part of the retention for your gun's weight. Remove it and your belt slides out. There are a couple of solutions...

If the belt is fully lined for carry on either side, reverse the belt so that the buckle is on the holster side. When nature calls, the buckle will prevent the holster from pulling loose from the belt loops. Of course, this makes getting the holster on/off a bit more difficult too.

The Second method requires some coordination. Get ready to "perch" on the commode. Unzip first, then unbuckle while retaining a grip on the belt just ahead of the sidearm. Using that grip, undo the fastener and lower your pants as you sit down. Retain the grip on the belt ahead of the holster until seated. Use your weak hand to support the belt, carefully unholster your firearm without sweeping your body/legs or the stalls next to you. Move the firearm into the "sling" formed by your pants and shorts. This way, it should be nearly impossible to "forget" your firearm in the restroom. If you need to keep prying eyes off your gun, raise the pants up around knee height.

Dealing with a "safe muzzle direction" and shorts with "racing stripes" is left as an exercise for the alert reader.
Old January 25, 2010, 11:15 AM   #10
EdInk

There was a big thread on this a couple months ago. The best solution is to not let your pants go all the way to the ground. Another is to put the gun down in your drawers between your legs.
Old January 25, 2010, 02:25 PM   #11
wyobohunter

Quote:
Reverse your belt.
I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll try it... Thanks.
Old January 25, 2010, 03:02 PM   #12
45Gunner

Hold it in until you get home.
NRA Life Member
Old January 25, 2010, 04:07 PM   #13
Skans

I'm in the camp of hold the gun - it'll give you something to do while you're on the pot. Heck, if you want to be real resourceful, carry some oil and wipes and give it a good cleaning.....er, the gun that is.
Old January 26, 2010, 04:43 AM   #14
imthegrumpyone

Who the hell goes to a public rest room ? and than drops there drawers ! Don't, won't, you may's well set yourself down in a pigsty. It's like anything else, training,training,training "condition" #1 anywhere, "condition" #2 at home.
Old January 26, 2010, 06:15 AM   #15
blume357

More than you'll care to know, with pics

http://ingunowners.com/forums/carry_..._restroom.html

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=74788
Old January 26, 2010, 10:37 PM   #16
wyobohunter

Quote:
Who the hell goes to a public rest room ? and than drops there drawers !
Guess some are just more "squeemish" than others I've heard that most women "hover" (my wife does). I figure, maybe I'm the only one that sits down, so no worries.
Old January 27, 2010, 08:16 AM   #17
Double Naught Spy

wyobohunter, the Fletch has two belt loops as I recall. Correct? And they are spaced about 6" apart. Make sure a belt loop from your pants is between the belt loops of the holster and then it won't be able to pull the belt from the pants. It will still try, but be effectively "captured."
Old January 27, 2010, 09:19 AM   #18
gregjc9

Quote:
wyobohunter, the Fletch has two belt loops as I recall. Correct? And they are spaced about 6" apart. Make sure a belt loop from your pants is between the belt loops of the holster and then it won't be able to pull the belt from the pants. It will still try, but be effectively "captured."
That is exactly what I do. I started doing this mostly because my holster is in the most comfortable position like this. And it absolutely does trap the holster and will not allow it to move. But you still have to adress the holster flop problem, even if your holster has a retention device. I just try and keep my hand on the holster as much as possible to keep it from flopping, and mine has a thumb break.

Greg
Old January 27, 2010, 06:41 PM   #19
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Reverse your belt.
+1. It might be awkward, but I reverse my belt during hunting season when I carry a sidearm. It's awkward, but it works.

Taking the gun and holster off your belt and placing it in your underwear while sitting is also a good option.
Old January 27, 2010, 08:22 PM   #20
XpatBubba

I often CC in Thunderware. Mucho awkward at the trough urinals. Have had some sideways looks.
Old January 27, 2010, 09:56 PM   #21
wyobohunter

Quote:
Ah, even better! I've been skipping a belt loop because I couldn't get the holster into the most comfortable position between any two belt loops an any of my pants (also caused a little sagging).That and the fact that it will keep the belt from sliding out of the loop and I no longer have to buckle my belt backward (awkward)...

Awesome suggestion. Thanks again.

P.S., who woulda thunk... At age 36 I'm gettin' internet advice on how to dress myself and go potty. Shouldn't I have learned this before Kindergarten?

Last edited by wyobohunter; January 27, 2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old January 28, 2010, 08:12 AM   #22
Double Naught Spy

Hope it helps...

Double Naught Tailor
Old January 28, 2010, 08:28 AM   #23
danez71

If I have to........

1) Remove eveything in my front right pocket and place in front left pocket.
2) remove gun from holster and put in front right pocket
3) Dump
Old January 28, 2010, 06:08 PM   #24
KyJim

This is one reason I really like an OWB holster that has snaps instead of traditional slots like this one from Mitch Rosen:

Easy on and off. Just place in "the sling" formed by pants and shorts (as BillCA refers to it). No need to unholster the gun.
Old January 28, 2010, 07:21 PM   #25
B.N.Real

Unbuckle your belt and pants and slide them down your legs,holding the belt and holster-then fold your pants over on top of your shoes.

No contact with the ground.