The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 6, 2009, 06:20 PM   #1
photoman12001

SIG P238 Review

I've had the P238 for a while now. I've carried it a lot and fired several hundred rounds through it. In short, it's the best all around pistol that I've found for concealed carry. You can view photos and the full review at my website, http://digitalperspective.org/SIGSauerP238.aspx.

I highly recommend the P238 if you need a highly concealable gun but don't want to sacrifice accuracy. Of course, as with any gun, your mileage may vary.

Last edited by photoman12001; December 8, 2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old December 6, 2009, 07:31 PM   #2
TimM

That's a pretty nice write up you have done. The only thing that I see that I would disagree with (I also own and carry a P238) is when you stated that you carried it cocked and locked. That is slightly misleading. You actually carry it cocked and with safety on. Anyone that has experience with a 1911 knows that when it is 'cocked and Locked' the slide does not come out of battery like it is able to on the Sig.

I have found that it is a little inconvenient when using a tight holster. I have to keep my thumb on the back of the slide while inserting into the holster to keep the slide in battery.

I also like to use the Metal Form mags made for Colt in my gun. I am going to get one of those slip on grips, I think they will help a lot.

All of that being said, I think I will still own this gun when I die.
Old December 6, 2009, 08:56 PM   #3
jreXD9

yours looks like mine except for the Hogue grip, which actually looks pretty dang good.
I really like mine. It's accurate and doesn't kick like the LCP or Kel Tec P3AT. Unlike a fair amount of folks, I haven't had any trouble with mine. I DID notice that my rear sight is an 8 and should be a 6 to match the front, so I plan on calling Sig about that.
Old December 6, 2009, 09:30 PM   #4
photoman12001

TimM: Thanks for correcting me. I edited my site with the correction. The Hogue grip really does help. I like that it adds a little thickness and traction.

jreXD9: I fired a buddy's Kel Tec and hated it. It didn't feel good in my hand and the recoil was too sharp. The P238 was well worth the extra money. Mine has an 8 rear sight too but I haven't had any problems that I know of. Is the 8 higher than the 6? My groups are spot on at 30 feet and that's about the maximum range I would want to use this gun. I can probably out run anyone farther away than that.

Last edited by photoman12001; December 9, 2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old December 7, 2009, 12:28 AM   #5
KyJim

Nice review on the Sig. I plan on visiting your site later and looking at some of the other reviews as well. I've only carried mine in a pocket holster. I may have to get a High Noon belt holster.
Old December 7, 2009, 01:51 AM   #6
DasFriek

IM gonna read your review tomorrow as its late here and it look pretty in depth.I own a P238 so i don't think you can say much more to impress me about the gun that it hasn't done itself.But i always learn something new so im definitely gonna read it.

Id really like to shoot Kahr's P380 and the Diamondback and compare them to the Sig,i thing the sig will come out being the easiest and most fun to shoot due to its weight and size.
The P238 isnt much bigger than the P3AT or LCP but it is and heavier,so i have to be fair when comparing recoil.I know some part of me would like to own 1 smaller and lighter .380 just for those reasons.
Old December 7, 2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Bri0242

Sig P238 review

Great review!
Old December 7, 2009, 08:41 PM   #8
golfnutrlv

Photoman,

Nice review. I already have decided this is the discreet gun for me, this only makes me more convinced.

BTW, If I may ask, two questions.

First, How much break in time did the high noon holster require (If any). I ordered a belt holster like yours for my Glock 26, and it just did not cooperate, and I sent it back. Is your holster easy to use break in wise?

Second, what round are you using for carry in the little beauty?

Thanks,
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old December 8, 2009, 12:29 AM   #9
DasFriek

I finally got around to the review,pretty good.
I know whats up with your slide not locking back all the time.When i first got mine it would lock back on the last shot but just barley.I could slightly touch the slide release and it would let go since it was barley engaged.

The issue is Mag related.The follower needs adjusted,and that may explain your nose dives also.If you look at the follower it looks like a big "L" i just opened it up a bit so it had a higher degree than originally.Now be careful as once i did this mine stopped feeding hollow points when hand cycling,that was an easy fix by just opening up the mags feed lips on the front just a tad to allow the round once in the mag to point exactly into the chamber.Always make very small adjustments with needle nose pliers as this gun is small and it doesn't take much to adjust it.

The key here is keep the round pointing exactly at the chamber and your golden.Ill admit mine didn't need these adjustments to work,it would stay locked back but barely and i like it to be 100% perfect.
Ive found from this almost any feed issue can be fixed and related to the mags.

BTW i carry the Hornady Critical Defense which penetrates well and has show to be reliable in expanding which isn't easy in a .380
Old December 8, 2009, 06:17 PM   #10
photoman12001

DasFriek: I too would like to shoot the Kahr P380. I did handle it at a store and didn't much care for the way it felt in my hand or the trigger. But a lot of people love the Kahr's. I'm the type to buy guns, try them and sell them if I don't like them. But I wasn't impressed enough with the Kahr to do that; I'd have to shoot it first. But I really don't see me liking it more than the SIG. Thanks for the info on the magazine. I haven't shot it since SIG returned the gun to me. They may have done something like you're talking about or even replaced the follower. They sent the same magazine body back. I'll shoot it and see if it needs any adjustment. I am going to buy some of those Hornady Critical Defense too so I can try them.

golfnutrlv: I broke in that High Noon Holster for the Glock 26 by:
-Wrap the gun in the plastic bag the holster shipped with
-Slip the wrapped gun in the holster (may take a little force) and store it overnight
-This got the fit right where it should be
-Of course their holsters also have the adjustable tension screw so that may be worth a try too
As for the holster I use with the P238, there were no fitting issues. The leather used on that one is a soft, glove-like type. It's still very durable and a hell of a deal for $35. The pistol fit great.
I carry only FMJ rounds right now that I have tested to verify function. I can't afford to test hollow points right now but will carry either Federal Hydrashocks or Hornady Critical Defense as DasFriek
mentioned.

Last edited by photoman12001; December 8, 2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old December 8, 2009, 08:00 PM   #11
dreamweaver

nice write up.
the only thing I don't like about the sig are the sharp angles on the slide. this is easily fixed (i'm planning to radius the corners). If anyone is looking to have it done, cylinder and slide has a good package price, but they're 10 months out on work.
if you can handle a caliper and metal files, it's not hard to do. I'll use cera-coat to refinish, but ceramacoat is very easy to use and gives nice, durable finish.
Old December 9, 2009, 02:23 PM   #12
jreXD9

yo photoman12001, if the rear sight is taller then that would cause HIGHER groups, wouldn't it, since the front sight would have to be raised to fit snug in the rear? I don't think I've shot mine past 25 feet, to tell you the truth.
Old December 9, 2009, 06:10 PM   #13
photoman12001

jreXD9: Of course you are absolutely right. Someone mentioned the rear sight issue on another forum and I asked the same question. Then I thought about and realized that was wrong. I fixed it there but forgot I asked here too. Man I hate looking like a dumba$$.
Old December 9, 2009, 07:19 PM   #14
bakon

I would like one of those holsters for my Colt Mustang. Wonder if I shlould order it in the Pony or the Sig 238 for a better fit. Site doesnt list a Mustang.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...dden_ally.html
Old December 9, 2009, 08:09 PM   #15
Yamatr3

I just picked one of these back pocket holsters for mine and I also bought a front pocket holster too.

http://www.stonerholsters.com/index....roducts_id=112
Old December 9, 2009, 08:35 PM   #16
omega

Quote:
I would like one of those holsters for my Colt Mustang. Wonder if I shlould order it in the Pony or the Sig 238 for a better fit. Site doesnt list a Mustang.

bakon, I wouldn't be surprised if the holster catalog number is the same for both pistols, but the SIG238 should be an exact fit for the Mustang.

Enjoy.
Old December 9, 2009, 10:17 PM   #17
photoman12001

Holsters

I think anything that fits the P238 would fit a Mustang. However, not everything made for the Mustang will fit the P238.

As an example, I bought a Don Hume holster made for the Mustang but the P238's sights made for a VERY tight fit. They stick up much farther than Mustang sights. I ended up returning the Don Hume. It was a nice holster, just not for the P238. I'm sure not all holsters will have that issue but I've run into at least one that did.

High Noon's site lists the holster I have to fit the Colt Pony, but I didn't see the Mustang listed. If you email them they are very helpful and should answer any questions you have.

Old December 10, 2009, 02:16 PM   #18
VTRich

I ordered a holster for my Sig P238 from DM Bullard http://dmbullardleather.com/

I ordered it for the Colt Mustang. They e-mailed me to be sure it really wasn't going to be for a Sig P238, because the P238 required a slightly larger holster than the Colt Mustang! So thre is a difference! Glad they e-mailed me to ask!
Old December 10, 2009, 03:34 PM   #19
omega

Quote:
I ordered it for the Colt Mustang. They e-mailed me to be sure it really wasn't going to be for a Sig P238, because the P238 required a slightly larger holster than the Colt Mustang! So thre is a difference! Glad they e-mailed me to ask!
Although the P238 is an exact clone of the Mustang, the corners of the slide are a bit more angular and defined. Hence, it would have a tough time slipping into a Mustang-specific holster.

On the other hand, the Mustang should drop nicely into a P238 rig. Life can be so complicated at times.
Old January 2, 2010, 02:30 AM   #20
the norm

High Noon holster

Great review, Photoman! Based on your review and follow-up comments on this thread, I ordered a High Noon Hidden Alley holster for my Sig P238 last night. I'm a real novice regarding holsters, but when I saw the Hidden Alley holster, I knew that was the one I was looking for.

Incidently, I have had no problems carrying 6 +1 in my gun. My gun was manufactured Nov 9th and apparently they had the magazines and manufacturing process fixed by then or else I got lucky.
Old January 2, 2010, 12:32 PM   #21
itman

I love my p238. I picked up a Crossbreed Holster http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/ and I think it is the perfect holster for this little Sig. Well that is totally my opinion but I love them both.
Old January 2, 2010, 01:11 PM   #22
TinyDee

First to make it clear, I love Sig and they are my number one pistol. But, and I have a 238, I am not a fan of hammers in a discreet carry gun. I have come to like the hammerless for pocket carry much better than dealing with a hammer. Just me I suppose...
Old January 2, 2010, 02:10 PM   #23
the norm

Quote:
I love my p238. I picked up a Crossbreed Holster http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/ and I think it is the perfect holster for this little Sig. Well that is totally my opinion but I love them both.
That Super Tuck holster by Crossbreed does look comfortable and very concealable. If I ever decide to start packing a different gun, I will certainly consider Crossbreed for my next holster.
Old January 2, 2010, 02:14 PM   #24
Wrothgar

What are you shooting out of it? I've heard of FTF problems with certain ammo.
Old January 2, 2010, 03:41 PM   #25
wpauley

Sig P238

I have been considering buying one, but with all the forum chatter about various "issues" I think I will pass for now, till Sig gets their act together, for the price, it should function flawlessley 1st round every round. What's Break in for a pistol??? It should work right out of the box without having to break it in. I would hate to not have it broke in enough and have to bet my life on it!!!! Bill