The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 28, 2010, 11:31 PM   #1
chexmix

Hunting/home defense shotgun

What shotgun would be the best gun for hunting and home defense. I am under the impression most shotguns work fairly well for home defense. I mostly hunt where i can shoot my 30-06 but I'm looking for a gun to shoot on state land below Michigan's rifle line a few times a year.
Old February 28, 2010, 11:42 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

A combo 12 gauge pump from Mossberg, Maverick or Remington with an 18 to 20-22 inch barrel for HD, turkey and 26-28 inch for up land birds, waterfowl or slugging deer would be my choice.

For me it would be Mossberg as I prefer the ergonomics of the controls, tang safety and rear left of trigger guard for the action release. I can operate both with my trigger hand in ready position with gun in about any mounted position.
Brent
Old March 1, 2010, 04:28 AM   #3
GunsAreGood

well if you read any of my post I would recommend a Remington over a Mossberg. hands down. In your particular case I would have to agree with hogdogs about the combo 12 gauge Mossberg which I am assuming is the one that comes with the two barrels. I was not aware of the Remington that comes with two barrels. If you have the funds to buy a Remington 870 and an extra barrel I would suggest that instead. Im sure you would be happy with either. I would suggest going to your local gun shop and handle both of them before making a decision.

If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
Old March 1, 2010, 10:47 PM   #4
Smitty in CT

If your mot familiar with a pump shotgun, you might want to consider an autoloader, a pump has to be manually operated and in a high pressure situation , not enough training can lead to an operator induced malfunction.

The Mossberg 930 is a great value:

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old March 1, 2010, 11:10 PM   #5
Gideon46

I'll second the advise to handle them in a store. One inch difference in LOP can make a big difference to an individual.

The Mossberg is a very good value for an auto and you won't be disappointed. The other BIG advantage of an auto is that you'll feel a lot less recoil.

I just bought an 870 Express 7 round 18.5" pump for HD. I took it shooting and was surprised how much more recoil it has compared to my big winchester auto

The controls are very different between the two as well.

If you're serious about deer hunting with it, I'd strongly encourage you to consider a fully rifled slug barrel with a cantilever scope mount. Shooting saboted slugs you're going to be shooting as good as many regular rifles and better than many/most muzzelloaders.

Then I would buy a seperate 18.5" barrel w/out a rib for HD. You really don't need anything more for HD.

Based on all of that, I would recommend a remington 870 and get it in the version you want most (hunting/hd) and then get the extra barrel to make it what you want it to be.

I bought mine for HD but am already thinking about buying a barrel for Turkey hunting with it.

Good Luck
Gideon
Old March 2, 2010, 10:00 PM   #6
Rampant_Colt

Old March 2, 2010, 10:14 PM   #7
rantingredneck

I'm assuming you are talking about a good deer/HD gun.

If you want a very simple setup using one barrel for both, look for an 870 with a 20" Rifle Sight Remchoke barrel. With that you can put an IC or Mod choke in and throw nasty tight buckshot patterns at HD distances, or you can put an IC Choke or Rifled choke to shoot Lead or Sabot slugs.

Another option would be a 20" Rifle sight fixed IC choke barrel. It's a little cheaper and it takes away your choke options, but it does well at HD distances with buckshot and to 75-100 yds with Foster or Brenneke slugs.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old March 2, 2010, 10:17 PM   #8
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsAreGood
well if you read any of my post I would recommend a Remington over a Mossberg. hands down.
Why do you recommend Remington over Mossberg, 'hands down'?

You must have some reasons.
Old March 3, 2010, 08:39 AM   #9
Leif

Browning BPS, of course! Just like the one I have for sale: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=400708

Joking aside, I think the tang safety of the BPS offers a definite advantage over the push safeties of other models, and the BPS is built like a tank - no durability or reliability issues there.

I think the only thing that causes folks not to choose the BPS is the lack of aftermarket doodads for it. Many smart hunters know and respect it, though.
Old March 3, 2010, 10:36 AM   #10
Tenshi

@ smitty: I think I'd go with a pump action over an autoloader... as long as you're not too delicate and rack the slide hard, I've never had any problem with a pump malfunctioning. With an autoloader, they can malfunction if they're not cleaned fairly regularly and are a bit more difficult to clear in the case of a malfunction. I've known people with 20 year old pumps that have NEVER cleaned them and have never had a malfunction.

Quote:
Why do you recommend Remington over Mossberg, 'hands down'?

You must have some reasons.
I second this... what reason?
Old March 3, 2010, 04:08 PM   #11
GunsAreGood

well nate45 I do have a few reasons I would not mind rattling off for you. First off I have owned many Remington 870's and have never had one malfunction or hiccup at all. Ever. I know its not the case with everyone but in mine it is. Also the 870's receiver is milled from a solid block of steel, not so with the Mossberg's (aluminum). Now some people like the reduced weight but I enjoy the feel of a little weighty shotgun. Feels real sturdy, the Mossberg in my opinion does not. The 870's are very easy to take down and clean. With the Mossberg 500 you can not clean the bolt without dropping the trigger housing. I rather have a nut type of setup holding on my barrel not a screw. The screw tends to come loose after shooting a couple hundred rounds. I prefer the release to be where it is on the 870's over the Mossberg's. Last but not least the only Mossberg I ever owned is being sold at my local gun shop on consignment right now. Its been about Two weeks and I wish it would sell so I can get a new range pistol.

Old March 3, 2010, 04:12 PM   #12
glazer1972

870 Express w/ 26" Remchoke Vent Rib bbl with this spare bbl.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=921370
Old March 3, 2010, 04:29 PM   #13
nate45

GunsAreGood

Okay, I got you, your 'hands down' recommendation is based solely on personal preference and not from any claim of quality, or mechanical deficiency inherent in the Mossberg 500.
Old March 3, 2010, 04:57 PM   #14
Pahoo

Rampant_Colt + 1
This is basically my current setup. Inexpensive, serviceable and you can make the racking noise. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 3, 2010, 05:55 PM   #15
Tenshi

@gunsaregood: I've never had a hiccup or malfunction from a Mossberg either. The aluminum receiver is very sturdy and solid. If you pay attention to the specs, the weight between a Remington 870 and a Mossberg 590-A1 are exactly the same for comparable models, so your "heavier weight" statement is null. I like that the shell elevator on the mossberg stays out of the way until it is racked for easier loading of the magazine. I like the ambidextrous safety on the Mossberg better, seems more intuitive as forward means "ready to shoot". I like that it has dual shell extractors just as extra security. Easier to take apart with the single trigger assembly pin... I can completely disassembly my Mossberg in under 10 secs, so getting to the bolt is not an issue at all as you've made it seem. Have never had any problems with the cap on the end of the magazine coming loose and allowing the barrel to move... I also like the placement of the slide release as well.

What it comes down to is they are both great shotguns... its all a matter of preference.
Old March 3, 2010, 06:47 PM   #16
GunsAreGood

Tensi you don't have to defend Mossbergs. I did not say in any way that they were less superior to Remingtons. I was asked by nate45 why I said I would suggest a Remington "Hands Down'' over a Mossberg and I gave an answer. Everything about the Mossberg works for you and you like where everything is placed and it seems that you like your Mossberg's as much as I like my Remington's. Yes they are both great guns. I originally posted in this threat that for the first time I would say yes get a Mossberg unless you can get an 870 with the extra barrel for chexmix's original post for a hunting/home security shotgun. I also told chexmix to go handle both at his local gun shop before making a decision. nate45 yes my ''hands down'' comment is not a lash at Mossberg's Quality just personal experience with them.

Old March 3, 2010, 10:32 PM   #17
Tenshi

@gunsaregood: Just revealing some of the reasons why I prefer Mossberg. I think everyone in here is of the same opinion that both brands are top quality. Can't go wrong with either. To be honest, I just love shotguns, regardless of brand. Love the versatility, love the amount of lead they throw out and definitely love how configurable they are to personal comfort and preference. Modular so parts are easy to replace if anything does need replacing and super easy to take a part with nothing more than a pointy object to push out the trigger assembly pin/pins. Definitely the gun I'd want at hand in a SHTF scenario.
Old March 4, 2010, 01:00 AM   #18
GunsAreGood

Yup we are all on the same page.

Old March 4, 2010, 06:29 AM   #19
rem870hunter

handle both Remington and Mossberg brands pump and/or auto. i'd recom mend pump more than auto,thats just me. both makers offer a 2 barrel combo : 20-22" fully rifled with sights or cantilever ,and a 26 or 28" choke tube capable vent rib barrel.

Remington i know had 2 combos. 1 is 20" smooth fixed IC with rifle type sights and a 28" rem choked (choke tubes) vent rib. 2 is 20" fully rifled with rifle type sights and a 26" rem choked vent rib barrel. both combos were available in 12 ga or 20. i just checked on www.remington.com combo #1 in 12ga and 20ga is discontinued. they are making an express super mag combo that comes with a 26" rem choked vent rib and a 20" fully rifled with rifle type sights. loose barrels are available as well aftermarket. not all are mind you. like the 21" vent rib barrel for the Remington 870. its only on the turkey model. took me like 2 years to get one,and in great condition as well.

you're going to use it for hunting,are you hunting deer,bear only or would you be hunting small game and waterfowl as well?? how far would your shots be for deer,bear??

if your deer,bear shots are under 75 yards,and you can use buckshot or slugs for hunting, what Glazer1972 suggested would work if you go with Remington. and the 20" with sights would be good for a HD barrel.

Quote:
870 Express w/ 26" Remchoke Vent Rib bbl with this spare bbl.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=921370

i have 3 barrels for my 870 express mag in 12 ga.

1. 20" smooth fixed IC choke rifle type sights for deer,black bear and HD
2. 21" vent rib rem choke for turkey,HD
3. 28" vent rib rem choke for small game,waterfowl,clay target busting.

but like others and i have stated handle both brands and action types.

Last edited by rem870hunter; March 4, 2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old March 5, 2010, 01:58 PM   #20
ditchbanker

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but it seems too similar to a question I have to warrant me starting a new thread.

I have an 870. I've got a 28" barrel with Rem choke system, the barrel is currently removed sitting next to it in the safe and an 18" barrel currently installed. Both barrels are ribbed and the 18" has a fiber optic site and cylinder choke. The 18" gun is my HD gun if I have time to get to it (.45 if not).

With that info started, I'd like to be able to use this gun on a short range mule deer hunt this coming fall. Range isn't TOO important to me. I come from an archery background (most recently traditional). With a baby at home I don't have the enormous amounts of time available that I needed to be proficient with my long bow, so I'd like to use my 870. With my history, anything past 50 yards is a bonus, if I could get 100 I'd be pretty excited. With the baby situation, I'd like to be able to spend as little as I could to get good accuracy. I've tried slugs with front bead only and was not impressed. My basic options, as I see them, are an all new barrel or attempt to mount a sight to one of my barrels to improve accuracy. Whew, that was longer than I meant it to be.

IF I can stay with one of my current barrels, which rifle type sights could I go with? If I do this option, it would be easier to haul around an 18" barrel than a 28, but how does choke effect slugs? Are these barrels just not going to work and I need to start saving pennies for a rifled barrel?

Thanks for any help, and hopefully this info is useful to the original poster, as well.
Old March 5, 2010, 02:00 PM   #21
ditchbanker

Sorry, forgot to mention it's a 12 gauge capable of firing 3" shells if that's important to you.
Old March 5, 2010, 02:07 PM   #22
Uncle Ben

My choice was the Mossberg 500 combo that I got from Big 5 Sporting Goods for $279. It is black synthetic stock with an 18 1/2" smooth bore barrel (bead sight only) and a 28 vent rib barrel (with double beads).

With the two barrels and many choices of 12ga ammo, this is a VERY versitile gun. Someday in the future I may even get a 3rd barrel in 24" with rifle sights for hunting larger game w/ slugs (though I could shoot slugs out of either of my exiting barrels, I would lack in accuracy with bead sights only)
Old March 5, 2010, 06:30 PM   #23
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ditchbanker, you would get more attention, and help, with a new thread.

Since you posted here though.....

Your ribbed barrels can have the Williams open sights added. They fit right on the rib. Get them on solid then bench test sundry "Rifled" and Brenekke slugs until a clear winner shows.Zero, then buy plenty of those from the same lot and go hunting.

I too have a background in hunting with a longbow. Hunt the same way with your shotgun.

Here in MD, doing so with various 870s kept the freezer filled nicely.

HTH....