The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 10, 2009, 04:26 PM   #51
Poseidon28

It's simple logic. If I'm a criminal, I go to a place that stops people from defending themselves. Can we say San Francisco and New York?

Why bother trying to rob people in states where I might get shot? Louisiana, Florida, Texas, Alaska??. Heck no. I want a place with the least security, and, the best chance possible of not getting shot. Schools, etc. free fire zones, no resistance, best place to rob...

Then if I do get caught, why not a place they can't keep me in jail? Kali...
Old August 10, 2009, 04:42 PM   #52
Daugherty16

Safety is a perception anyway

The people in the gym a split second before the freak got there felt safe enough. They were just doing something they do routinely. And not one of them was at fault, nor were they wrong. They just didn't know a monster was coming in the door because he didn't look like a monster until he started shooting.

Take me. i live in a New England state, and everyday i get on two different trains and then a subway, to get to my job at the Federal Building in the big apple. Aside from my wits, two hands and a sharp tongue, i am unarmed (discounting the cheap clip-on knife clinging to the liner of my briefcase). This is not how i like it, it merely is. The perception of relative safety on the trains and in the Federal Building have so far been reliable, except for a couple close encounters with drunken Yankee fans that were defused by others.

I am also a 9/11 survivor - my former office was at 6 WTC, overlooking the plaza and 40 feet from tower 1. The stuff i saw that morning wasn't on TV - cameras couldn't get close enough fast enough (but i'll bet they tried) to see folks hitting the pavement 20 feet in front of my building. In the months and years afterward, i decided to build up my gun collection and obtain a CCW. I was angry, and wanted to never feel that helpless again, especially when my family was with me.

So i carry when and where i can, including around the house, perhaps 50% of the time. I carry because i want that answer - lethal force - available at a moment's notice if some thug decides it's time to kill me, rape my wife, you get the idea. But i've noticed that when i carry i have a feeling of safety that i know is false. If anything, when you carry you are more vulnerable. Why? Because your instinct to run away from danger may well be overridden by the "power" at your side and your training to assess and respond. Right or wrong, your first response - even at a massacre like the Pittsburgh gym - probably won't be flight.

The lesson? Be unafraid and stand up for yourself as you believe appropriate; stay in code yellow, but live your life. None of us get out of it alive anyway.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old August 10, 2009, 05:49 PM   #53
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAK
Thinking that you can do something is paramount to doing it. When you think you "cant"... self-fulfilling prophesy.
Have you tried this approach for, oh, flying, for example?

It's not a matter of "thinking you can't," but of a realistic assessment both of your limitations and of the situation you're in. I may want to believe I can take on a 6'4" 250# football player in hand-to-hand combat, but I'm going be a lot better off "thinking I can" run away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daugherty16
But i've noticed that when i carry i have a feeling of safety that i know is false. If anything, when you carry you are more vulnerable. Why? Because your instinct to run away from danger may well be overridden by the "power" at your side and your training to assess and respond. Right or wrong, your first response - even at a massacre like the Pittsburgh gym - probably won't be flight.
If you're aware of this, you're ahead of the game compared to many here. Maybe we ought to be practicing escape and evasion, as well as the other more aggressive stuff. It's a perfectly good tactic.
Old August 10, 2009, 06:12 PM   #54
Nnobby45

Quote:
Take the 300,000,000 to 1 chance that today won't be the day or the place.
Right. Be of the Wildebeast mentality by recognizing that it's a virtual certaintly that the lion will get one of you, but figure the odds are it won't be you on any given day at any particular place.

Of course, as the days and years mount up, the odds aren't as much in the grass muncher's favor that it won't happen.

Lesson: Except for the sick or injured, the grass muchers killed by predators all had those excellent odds working in their favor so they had nothing to worry about.
Old August 10, 2009, 06:30 PM   #55
Poseidon28

For perspective:
The FBI results for San Francisco are that you have a 1 in 17 chance of being a victim of a violent crime, per year. Most other big cities are in that range, as well.

So, that 3000000000 whatever to one is real bull.
Old August 10, 2009, 06:36 PM   #56
Wildalaska

Quote:
Most of us are not trained for much of what happens in life period. Does this constitute just sitting on our Hello Kitty thongs, and bemoaning the fates? Godot, Godot, where for art thou Godot?.
So you think its advisable, for some 21 year old aerobics instructor who got her permit yesterday, to engage in the gym scenario?

Part of owning a gun is recognizing when its not good to use it. And the entirety of your response in Grandmaison-like in its simplistic danger.

WildloffensiveaoutranceAlaska ™
Old August 10, 2009, 06:37 PM   #57
pax

PM sent.

Closed.

pax
Closed Thread