The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 24, 2005, 11:53 PM   #1
FireStorm

Why do they cost so much

How does a semiautomatic gun thats worth $900 go to $15,000 if you want full auto? Is it to keep the guns away from the average joe or what? I just dont understand why the price gap is so huge.
Old February 25, 2005, 01:25 AM   #2
BCannell

There is a finite number of fully automatic weapons in this country that can be legally owned by civilians. More and more are being acquired by people who don't want to let them go, so the price is steadily increasing. Get them while you can - they will eventually be beyond price.
Old February 25, 2005, 10:04 AM   #3
shaggy

As BCannell stated, its really just simple supply & demand. In May 1986, Congress passed a law (18 USC 922(o)) which prohibited the manufacture of new machineguns for civilian ownership & possession, thus the number available to buy was fixed and actually constantly declining due to loss, damage/destruction, and unregistered transfers (if a full auto is not transfered in accordance with the law, it becomes contraband and is no longer legal) . As more and more people learned through the internet that machineguns were in fact legal to buy (provided you bought one that was made & registered prior to May 19, 1986) there were more people with more money chasing after a declining number of legal guns. Increasing demand with a declining supply inevitably leads to increasing prices.
Old February 25, 2005, 11:52 AM   #4
n3twrkm4n

Like Shaggy said supply in demand although they are messing with the balance of the equation...

Mostly because people will pay it... Just like collector's weapons they are valuable because people find value in them, just like our U.S. Dollar it only works cause we all believe it has value... no more gold standard
Old February 25, 2005, 04:39 PM   #5
Hkmp5sd

I wonder just how high the price will go. One of my MGs is now sells for 10 times what I paid for it. How high can the prices go before even us gun nuts won't fork over that kind of money for a machinegun.

For me, they have reached that point already. I won't pay $10,000+ for a machinegun. Of course, that might have something to do with already owning a few and the machineguns I do want are all post-86.

NRA Life Member
Old March 11, 2005, 03:45 PM   #6
MicroBalrog

Luckily, a few honest people are working to change this situation, and to the better.