The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 21, 2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Randyralph

45-70 cast reload for marlin

Good day all, I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I have a 450 grain flat point mold for 45-70, the problem is that in order to seat the bullet deep enough to get the proper COL I am afraid that it will be pushed to far back in the case and cause to much of a pressure change. Has anyone here ever seated a bullet deeper than it should be? The bullet will need to be pushed back and extra .150" pass its crimp groove.
Thanks for any and all help.
Old December 21, 2008, 06:22 PM   #2
HOGGHEAD

May not like it

You may not like this but here goes.

You definitely need to cripm your bullet for the Marlin unless you are only putting one in the chamber and one in the pipe.

We have not had much luck with any bullet over 405 grains in the lever action rifles.

You my not like my answer. But if I were you I would be looking for a new mold. Either a 350 or a 405. Tom.
Old December 21, 2008, 06:36 PM   #3
kraigwy

Its not just Marlin, I have the same problem using my Browning 1895 45-70 when I use black powder, especially with the 500 grn bullets, I seat them deap, and put a heavy roll crimp. If not the powder expands pushing the bullet out so I can get the action close. The posted over all length is a guide, not law.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 21, 2008, 07:40 PM   #4
FredT

Long bullet?

If your load is not that hot or a trapdoor load, you should be able to seat as deep as stated with out increasing pressure too much. Make sure you still use a heavey roll crimp. I would still look for a more appropriate bullet mold that works just right. I have used the Lyman 330 HP, Lee 340 (very accurate) and the Lee 405 in my Marlin. All seat correctly and shoot very well. What fun is it having only one mold? Fred.
Old December 22, 2008, 07:50 AM   #5
45Marlin carbine

the Micro-Groove barrel does well with the cast slugs? I have a Marlin Camp .45acp with that rifleing and it doesn't shoot cast slugs well. maybe it's a slug diameter problem, I've used just the Midway slugs, 200gr. FP's.
any advice?
Old December 22, 2008, 08:25 AM   #6
GoldenRoyBoy

45-70 Lead cast bullets.

Good morning Gang!
I must confess; the 45-70 is one of my everlasting favorite calibers; along with 50-70, 32-40, and 38-55. I cast a lot of 45-70s; mostly 405 gn. useing Saeco-Redding moulds. I don't like useing any roll crimp on any cast bullet. Why you ask? My experience has been, doing so always hinders accuracy. I taper crimp instead. Granted, I'm an avid single shot shooter. It's another reason I shy away from anything with a lever on it. For lever actions, I recommend sticking with copper plated bullets. I personally like the 300 gn Remington makes. Generally, the price is better too. Here's Midway's price for 500 300g HPs.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=445749

Enjoy the pop!
GRB

Last edited by GoldenRoyBoy; December 22, 2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Added Midway's link ---
Old December 22, 2008, 12:22 PM   #7
mkl

Quote:
the Micro-Groove barrel does well with the cast slugs?
The very early Marlin 1895's had micro-groove rifling. Because of the problem of stabilizing the large cast bullets, Marlin changed to Ballard rifling after the first year or so of production. The deeper Ballard grooves in the 1895 have no problem shooting cast bullets.