The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 27, 2013, 06:03 AM   #1
Beretta686

USP Cocked & Locked

The last few days I've been trudging around the ranch dove-hunting. I usually carry a .357 revolver for pigs and such, but as I forgot the .357 rounds and only had .38, I went with my .45 USP Compact Tactical in a Blackhawk paddle holster.

I'm not usually a fan of cocked & locked (just a personal thing), but as the USP's CT model has a bobbed hammer that's hard to manual cock, I went ahead and carried it cocked and locked so I wouldn't be fumbling with it while trying to shoot a pig.

I was expecting to have to constantly put the safety back on as I moved about. But much to my surprise and despite climbing over fences, walking miles on end and so much other movement, I never once had the safety turn off.

So I have to report that my bias against cocked and locked with a USP is rather unfounded and that it isn't risky to carry one cocked & locked.

I'll still prefer my Sig and Glock over cocked & locked platforms, but that's just my personal preference.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old September 27, 2013, 08:58 AM   #2
balance

You could buy a spurred hammer for your USPc, and either install it yourself, or have someone install it for you.
Old September 27, 2013, 09:16 AM   #3
MJFlores

At this very second there are hundreds of thousands of .45's being carried right now...cocked and locked. No worries, cock it, lock it, and carry it worry free until you need it.
Old September 27, 2013, 04:22 PM   #4
thickice

I have a full size USP .45 ACP, I can carry it cocked and locked, or use the safety lever to de-cock it and shoot the first round DA.
Old September 28, 2013, 08:38 AM   #5
Dan-O

If it's in a holster why would it be risky to carry cocked and locked even if the safety accidentally dis-engaged? The trigger would still be covered, no?
Old September 28, 2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Hammerhead

That's one of the things that has turned me off the USP 45 compact and compact Tac. I want a full hammer on any gun capable of a SA shot.
Old September 28, 2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Beretta686

Quote:
If it's in a holster why would it be risky to carry cocked and locked even if the safety accidentally dis-engaged? The trigger would still be covered, no?
Just a personal preference.

I keep any pistol that's loaded on an empty chamber unless it's in a holster on my hip. And even then, I prefer the hammer down, except if I'm hunting. I'm sure cocked & locked really isn't that much different than carrying a loaded Glock, but it just doesn't sit well with me in most circumstances.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old September 28, 2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
I want a full hammer on any gun capable of a SA shot.
The only real use for the hammer on my 5906 is to go from DA to SA.

Though I don't mind the DA for the first shot, I would rather have the thing in SA mode from the get go. I practice with it the way it is. First round double and next 3-4 SA. De-cock and repeat.
Old September 28, 2013, 03:55 PM   #9
reticle

I swapped a spurred hammer into my USP Compact and carry it cocked and locked. I have carried it condition one for ten years. The safety will not disengage unless I do it intentionally.

[/URL]
Old September 29, 2013, 07:16 AM   #10
KyJim

The only time I had a safety come off with a cocked and locked 1911 is one with an ambidextrous safety (one time). Lesson learned - don't buy them with ambi-safeties. I can still manipulate a standard safety with my left hand. YMMV.
Old September 30, 2013, 04:10 PM   #11
Paul K

Re: USP Cocked & Locked

Im a big fan of the USP and as you have discovered, its very condition one-able. Another great feature is its modular design. If you dont like the spurred hammer, you can just drop a full size one in (and vice versa). I use the LEM trigger system, and I am very pleased with it. Consistant trigger pull from the first shot to the last, and the reset is the same as a single action gun.
Old October 1, 2013, 06:18 AM   #12
thedudeabides

I have an HK45 woods gun, and I carry it Condition one. I have NEVER had the safety disengage under open carry in the woods or CCW. It has a spurred hammer, if you're not a fan of the bobbed hammers you can get HK to put one in for you or do the job yourself in a few minutes..
Old October 2, 2013, 11:56 PM   #13
45Gunner

If one were to carry a gun in other than condition one, the time lost to chamber a round could cost dearly. If one does not understand how the safety systems work on a particular gun, read the manual. While I fully understand its all about personal preference, cocked and locked, aka Condition One is really the way to travel.

Even at range practice, my gun starts out from the bench at Condition One and it gives trains the muscle memory to push the safety off while I am getting my sight on target. For those of us that carry, its valid training for the outside world.
NRA Life Member
Old October 4, 2013, 03:38 PM   #14
LarryFlew

Other than a couple of revolvers I don't own a pistol that can't be carried C&L and likely never will as I rotate a few for carry etc and want them all the same so there is no thinking involved if a confrontation ever arises.