The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 17, 2011, 06:59 PM   #1
crashcom

Mosin basket case or bubba inc

Does anyone know how the front sight on a 91/30 is attached. I do mean the block the dovetail fits into. Ill explain why I want to know this even at the expense of ruffling the feathers of a few other collectors. I have quite a few mosins and havent modified any that cant be put back to original. I have a couple that are basket cases, chopped receivers damaged barrels yadda yadda.
For a winter project Im looking to build a brush gun from the pile-o-parts bin. I want to cut a barrel to about 18 inches replace the original front sight, with the bayonet lug to the shortened barrel.
Is it silver soldered or machined in? Would I need to raise or lower the lug to use the iron sights? Would I be better building a new block and grinding the globe flat and soldering them together? I know I know Im sick.
Im then going to shorten the wood and attach the springs and bands, just shorter. Then cut the butt and replace the original metal plate after grinding to fit. Even putting the sling holes and brackets back in.
I know the sights wont work until I can figure this out, but I think a 2 1/2 foot mosin would be a great conversation peice at the very least, maybe put on a scout scope and it would be a great brush gun. It would scare the heck outta the deer for sure.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks guys
Old November 17, 2011, 08:02 PM   #2
kraigwy

The front sight on the mosin is set in a dove tail, shifting back and forth gives you your windage zero.

The little block containing the dove tail is part of the barrel.

You have two options that I can think of. After cutting back the barrel, you can cut a dove tail in the barrel to fit the front sight. Or you can order an after market front sight. If you go the dove tail route, you're gonna have to shop around for another front sight if the sight isnt high enough. Or if it is, you can mill the bottom of the rear sight so that you can get the proper elevation.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 17, 2011, 08:18 PM   #3
crashcom

Thanks, Ive been beating my head against a wall on this one for a week.
Old November 17, 2011, 10:27 PM   #4
tobnpr

You could just use a barreled action from a carbine...