The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 19, 2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Prof Young

Does style of gun matter?

Scatter gun shooters:
I own a Remington 11-87 12 ga. When I shoot clays with it I hit 2 or 3 out of five on a good day. My buddy Harold hits five out of five with it so I think it's me not the gun.

Recently I shot a friend's double barreled guns. One was and O/U and one was a side by side. I hit four and five out of five consistently. Did I just have a good day or could the style of gun make that much difference?

Live Well be safe.
Prof Young
Old October 19, 2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Doyle

It's not the "style" of gun that makes a difference. However, the "fit" makes a HUGE difference. That is the reason that competitive trap and skeet shooters will spend $10,000 or more getting a custom made stock. Length of pull, drop at comb, drop at heel, etc. all have an effect on point of impact.
Old October 19, 2011, 08:16 PM   #3
oneounceload

FIT is absolutely crucial
Style MAY make a difference, depending on what you are doing, but this really shines in the better-made guns where things like balance and excellent quality are taken into consideration
Properly made and adjusted SxS and O/U guns will have superb balance designed specifically for the game/quarry.

English game guns, where a SxS 12 gauge may weigh as little as 6 pounds, are designed for fast flying birds that do anything but fly in a straight line
Italian target guns (among others) are designed to be heavy enough to mitigate recoil, but not so ponderous as to affect their "swingability" on quick crossers

When you use a general-purpose gun like a pump, compromises have to be made. In order to do a little bit of everything (including boat oar), certain handling aspects are given less attention compared to other attributes. This is seen where folks adapt themselves to the gun instead of vice versa - success may be had, but not as well as using a gun fitted to the shooter and designed for the purpose
Old October 19, 2011, 09:34 PM   #4
ripnbst

One Ounce summed it up nicely.
Old October 19, 2011, 11:46 PM   #5
olddrum1

What game are you shooting? Trap?
Old October 20, 2011, 08:00 PM   #6
Prof Young

Thanks

Shotgunners:
Hey thanks so much for the advice.
So, next question. I know I can probably read up on shotgun "fit" and that will help but where do I go for an expert opinion? Is this a gunsmith kind of knowledge or should I look for a pro shooter to advise me.
Thanks
Live well, be safe
Prof Young

P.S. And I'm not shooting any kind of particular game in skeet or trap. This is just guys going out, throwing clays and knocking them down.
Old October 20, 2011, 10:10 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Mine the archives here for stuff on fit. A pro can do a decent job of determining what your fit should be, but a few sessions at a patterning board or target can do it also.

First, use one of the on line guides to measure drop at face, Length Of Pull,etc.

You mentioned an 11-87. Set up a patterning target and pace off 16 yards. Screw in your tightest choke tube. Do not aim, but shoot at a point in the middle of the target like at a bird flying straight away.

Note where the very center of the pattern occurs. Measure the distance from there to the aiming point. For every inch, move the stock 1/16" by shimming between the stock and receiver. I like Aluminum foil, but plastic can work also. This will get you in the ballpark, more shooting will dial it in by tweaks.

Shimming will move your master eye to where it needs to be. Set things up so the Point Of Impact is where the bead is or a touch higher.

There you go.It's easier than you think.....
Old October 21, 2011, 08:48 AM   #8
jrothWA

You really need to...

get to a "patterning board" to see where you are impacting in relation to "point of aim".
Then you can start with minor adjustments, padding on stock for higer cheek weld, etc.

Next time at range as who does the Fit trials and contact him.

If the SxS and O/U were older models, they may have had more drop too stock, causing the barrels to point higher.