The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 30, 2011, 11:56 PM   #26
Alaska444

Well it is a good fake at that. I can't think of anyone in their right minds clearing a misfire by looking down the barrel.
Old October 1, 2011, 01:40 AM   #27
HKFan9

Def a fake... looks like maybe a bad safety video made for a hunter safety class.... note the safety vest.

Quote:
His name is Darwin too but it isnt funny.
It really wasn't funny until you said that.... I feel bad... but still laughed.
Old October 1, 2011, 04:16 AM   #28
TheKlawMan

The worst thing is some idiots will say lets make a video like that or double dare a kid to do that to show that they are not afraid, ready to be initiated into the club, after all the guy in the video wan't hit, and they will blow there heads off.
Old October 1, 2011, 01:16 PM   #29
BBroadside

Hangfires

Now let's talk for a second about what this could be if it weren't a fake. Someone mentioned a hangfire, which is something I haven't even thought about in years. Let's say I'm firing at targets like he was, and the hammer drops. While I'm too smart too look down the barrel, I'm not too smart to forget to the proper hangfire drill - keep the weapon pointed at the target for 30 whole seconds! I'm sure I'd give up after five seconds or so ... assuming I didn't operate the action and eject the live round immediately after dropping the hammer, out of sheer habit.

So the q is: what happens when you eject a hangfiring shell onto the ground and it decides to wake up and go to work? Burning, at least. Explosion? Bits of of wad in my sock or pellets in my throat?? I know hangfires are rare but this is something I need to know more about.
Old October 1, 2011, 01:36 PM   #30
Double Naught Spy

A round dishcarging out of the chamber, such as a hang fire, will present a minor health risk. The shot will basically stay in place while the lighter hull takes off...the same sort of thing that happens to ammo in a fire. It poses no substantial risk unless you are holding the round in your hand.
Old October 1, 2011, 03:34 PM   #31
Nnobby45

Quote:
A round dishcarging out of the chamber, such as a hang fire, will present a minor health risk. The shot will basically stay in place while the lighter hull takes off...the same sort of thing that happens to ammo in a fire. It poses no substantial risk unless you are holding the round in your hand.
Years ago, there was a fellow at the local trap and skeet range who used to do a little demonstration where he'd remove the barrel from his shotgun, and insert a live round up under the extractor and shoot it. Shot would basically dribble out of the gun with a poof and travel all of 15 to 20 ft. --mostly rolling alongt he ground. Rather harmless.

Another acquaintance thought it was funny to drop a .270 rd. into the fire, when nobody was looking. Poof! Ashes would fly, but no harm done. Not recommended, since the case and bullet will go in opposite directions fast enough to cause a welt. Wouldn't want it to hit you in the eye.

The mentally challenged individual in he video wasn't the luckiest man in the world, since many have survived against worst odds than that. He was among the stupidist, and I doubt that he got off without any damage. Damaged ear drums come to mind, and I'd have to wonder about the effect of the muzzle blast on the eyes.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Old October 1, 2011, 04:00 PM   #32
BBroadside

Quote:
Damaged ear drums come to mind, and I'd have to wonder about the effect of the muzzle blast on the eyes.
I just watched that video - that's exactly what I was thinking. Talk about "eyes and ears", or perhaps "deaf and blind". Ugh.

Thanks for the hangfire information.
Old October 1, 2011, 10:19 PM   #33
TylerD45ACP

AND THAT ISNT NEARLY ENOUGH
This guy shouldnt cross the street much less used firearms.
Old October 2, 2011, 08:53 AM   #34
warrior poet

If it is real then he's REALLY lucky... and REALLY stupid. If real, can we give him a "Consolation Prize" in the Darwin Awards.
Old October 2, 2011, 12:27 PM   #35
Edward429451

It was totally spoofed. You can see him click when there should be a bang, then he ejects nothing and clicks again, ejects nothing again and then looks down the barrel. You just have to pay attention to realize that the hangfire round would have been on the ground even if it did happen.
Old October 4, 2011, 01:36 PM   #36
turbodog77

omg!

that scared me. couldn't watch the slow motion part. OMG!
Old October 12, 2011, 03:27 PM   #37
Double Naught Spy

You could not watch a slow motion version of a FAKED video?