The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 22, 2000, 04:53 PM   #1
KilgorII

I have recently picked up a used 870 20 gauge youth model for my fiance. My problem is that the follower will not move forward to accept shells. It appears to be in fine condition and I have removed the plug and spring. There is nothing in the tube blocking its progress.

Any suggestions about what I should try? I've been fiddling with it for awhile now and am frustrated.

Old October 22, 2000, 04:59 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Followers are cheap, get another and see if it helps. Also, a clean and lube of the mag tube may be in order, and possibly a new mag spring.

Did you take the plug out?
Old October 22, 2000, 05:24 PM   #3
KilgorII

I got it. I had everything out except for the follower. I managed to hamhand it out. I was quite surprised to see that a small spot of rust had developed at the bottom of the mag tube where the follower rests when the tube is empty. I managed to get the follower out and clean it. Then I scraped off the rust spot and cleaned and oiled the inside of the mag tube. The gun is in good shape. It must have sat unused for sometime for the follower to seize up like that. We bought a slightly used one with choke tubes because she didn't like the lock Remington put on the new safeties. Thanks for the help Dave.

Old October 23, 2000, 04:50 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Glad to help, Kilgor. Now pick up a case or 6 of ammo for her and get her some lessons. Unless YOU're a qualified instructor,that is, and maybe not then.

Back when Wonderful WIfe and I first got together, in the rashness of youth I tried to teach her to drive a stick shift. I'm way better than the average driver,had instructor experience, and thought it would be easy. She still doesn't drive sticks....
Old October 23, 2000, 09:08 AM   #5
KilgorII

Trust me, I know exactly what you mean. I tried to teach her to drive a stick shift too. She drives an automatic still. I wish I didn't have to teach her to shoot a shotgun, but we can't really afford professional lessons at the moment.

We are members at a Gun club that has a sporting clays match once a month. I think we'll go to that and see what she can pick up. I am decent, but not great at sporting clays (16-17 out of 25). I cannot think of how to teach her to hit a flying clay without her getting too frustrated at missing. She tried with my 12 gauge, but it was too big and heavy for her. I am thinking about rolling some in front of her by hand on the ground and getting her to follow and lead those because they are going slower and due to the dirt flyup it would be obvious where she was hitting. Any suggestions?

Old October 23, 2000, 01:34 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Get one of the hand throwers, the one I use is red plastic and maybe 30 inches long,can't recall the brand. They fly a little slower than the power traps,and you can set up shots by varying the swing. Only costs a few bucks too.

Hate to destroy any illusions you may be entertaining about me, but 20/25 isn't a bad day for me. I could up it considerably if they skipped those $%^&*( rabbits! Funny, I've little trouble hitting live bunnies...

Make sure she starts off with good form, it's way easier to get good without grooving in bad habits from Square #1. And she'll have more fun...