The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 8, 2011, 10:29 PM   #1
Brianjvo

Shotgun Questions

I have a Winchester 840 single shot 20 gauge full choke w/ a 28in barrel
and a Remington 870 express magnum 12 gauge w/ a 18 inch barrel (cyl is stamped on the barrel so I think it is cylinder choke, can anyone confirm this?) Both are smooth bore.

I have been going through many different forums and finding many different opinions.

I have 2 3/4" 20 gauge sluggers, which I have read will turn my full choke 20 gauge into junk or a pipe bomb.

So my first question: Is that true?

My second question is: if I purchased rifled slugs for my 12 guage 18 inch smoothbore, does anyone know that reliable distance of that combination? Should I purchase a longer barrel for it?

I am going out deer hunting in the lower penisula of Michigan for the first time in 25 years. Somehow I got the bug in me and have been out small game hunting once a week and have just purchased my combo firearm dear and a doe permit.
Old October 9, 2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

It is cylinder bore and the sluggers won't turn it into junk. Make sure your box of sluggers says rifled slugs and not bonded sabot slugs. The later are for rifled barrels only.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 9, 2011, 04:48 PM   #3
turbodog77

I don't know. But had same question for a model 12, 16 gauge, it says full and it is a steel barrel, stamped 2 3/4.
I was told not to shoot the slugs I bought for it.
So I just shot some quail and squirrel shells I bought and they work fine.

I was told for my shotgun the barrel would expand and blow.
Old October 9, 2011, 04:49 PM   #4
oregunner

Found on web search.
Question: Why do your slugs work with choked barrels? What do the ribs do?
Answer: In 1898 Wilhelm Brenneke invented the modern shotgun slug. The most revolutionary aspect of his invention were the ribs. They make it possible to shoot any of our lead slugs from any choked barrel, regardless of choke size. The ribs are compressed when they pass through the choke, and excess lead is squeezed into the gaps between the ribs. There is no danger to the shooter, to the gun or to bystanders, and no wear and tear on the gun. Excellent accuracy is retained. In 1992, we added minor improvements which resulted in even higher accuracy: five-shot groups of under 2" at 50 yards are possible. Depending upon the case length (2¾" or 3") you can effectively use our slugs up to 100 yard ranges. Note that our SuperSabot and our Super Magnum are designed only for use cylindrical full-rifled barrels, and must not be fired from any type of choked barrel.

Read more: http://www.ohiosportsman.com/forum/s...#ixzz1aK85u7p3

Also see http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8193400AATDvrk

Last edited by oregunner; October 9, 2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old October 10, 2011, 12:39 AM   #5
Brianjvo

Thanks

Awesome. Thank you guys. Now to get some target practice in before opening day.
Old October 13, 2011, 03:37 PM   #6
Brianjvo

Update from Remington

Response Via Email (Danny) 10/13/2011 07:41 AM

Slugs should never be fired through a full choke barrel. The constriction is too tight and damage to the firearm can result. Primers can be a little "hard" sometimes and can cause misfires, but the firing pin not retracting sounds like a problem with the firing pin return spring. This is something that Winchester should be able to handle for you.