The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 31, 2004, 06:33 AM   #1
Sarge

Browning BDA/Hawes/Sig 220/.45

Mr. Nolden,

I am working up an article on these fine guns for my webpage, and am going to include a brief history of their importation by various companies. I know they were imported at different times by Browning (BDA), Hawes/Sauer (Model?), and of course Sig- but I am finding conflicting dates for the beginning and end of importation, by each company. If you would be so kind as to research your database for this info when you have time, I'd certainly appreciate it. You would of course be credited in the article.

Thank you, sir; excellent service you provide here. Far too much information gets lost through attrition.
Old May 31, 2004, 07:58 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

I do not have specific dates of importation, mostly the initiation date.

BDA\
Mfg'd between 1977-1980, by Sig Sauer of Germany. It is identical to the Sig-Sauer model 220. It is chambered for the 9mm Parabelum, the 38 Super and 45 ACP.

This information is taken from 1999 Standard Catalog of FIREARMS 9th edition by Ned schwing

I don't show a Hawes/Sauer model.

It seems odd that you would receive conflicting information from the Companies regarding their importation dates. They are actually the initiators and should have the correct information. It would also seem, that if they have conflicting information, the information publisized would also be conflicting.

HJN
Old May 31, 2004, 08:18 AM   #3
Sarge

First-

Thank you for your service to our nation.

I never said I was getting conflicting information from each company; it was conflicting information regarding importation by each company that was causing me the problem.

My apologies if I didn't word the original post as clearly as I might have, and thank you for checking on it.
Old May 31, 2004, 06:33 PM   #4
rufe-snow

Hawes, SIG-Sauer

Only thing I can help you with is the Hawes. Unfortunately I have no way to substantiate the information. Only seen (1) over all the years.

Understand they were brought in very limited numbers during first year of production (1976).

Browning took over importation ( BDA ) in 1977.
Old May 31, 2004, 07:31 PM   #5
Sarge

Thank you both

for your input.
Old March 7, 2009, 11:04 PM   #6
P.08

Sarge, I just found this thread and can offer a little bit of information. I have a Hawes imported P220 in .38 Super date code is HH which should be 1977.