The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 29, 2009, 10:16 PM   #1
ratman12

Wards Western Field

Hello. I like so many others have inherited guns from relatives that have passed on. I have one in particular that is in need of repair due to the fact my father left some cartridges in it for an unknown period of time and now will not function properly. What I have is a Wards Western Field 12 gauge semi-auto, model 600A ERI. It has the vented ribbed 26 inch barrel. When it did function properly it was one heck of a shooter. My main question here is this, does anyone know where one can find a parts catalog for that make and model? And also does anyone else have one of these guns themselves? Thanks in advance. BTW, this site makes for good reading.

Ron
Old January 30, 2009, 01:09 AM   #2
Scorch

Your shotgun was made by Remington, model is Sportsman 58. Parts are available from www.e-gunparts.com or www.hoosiergunworks.com on a hit-or-miss basis.
Old January 30, 2009, 07:50 AM   #3
ratman12

Hi Scorch. Thank you for the reply on my question. I have had several people wanting to buy this gun. I just have to tell them it ain't for sale. Again thanks and have a good day.

Ron
Old February 14, 2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Hillshooter

take a look at this first

I have one of these guns and always thought is was a Model 58 as well. Heck, everything on the net says that. But I ran across another forum a while back that says otherwise. Check out this page. Look at the bottom right of the page. This book states that the gun is actually based on the Remington 878. Nevertheless, it's kind of unique.

http://books.google.com/books?id=jAm...um=6&ct=result

Last edited by Hillshooter; February 14, 2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: forgot to post the link
Old February 15, 2009, 10:46 AM   #5
ratman12

Hello and thanks for the e-mail. That article describes the gun I have the most accurate I have seen yet. Right down to the intricate pattern on the grip. And it was about then, 1967, that my father bought the gun. They had just come out with it and we were in town at the time on a Friday night, which at that time was a treat to us cause we lived in the country and I was only 8 years old at the time, 49 now. Anyways, thanks again for the info as it is very useful in my quest to have it fixed and firing again. Have a good day and a safe one as well.

Ron