The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 20, 2006, 09:50 AM   #1
Phil - MO

Remington Beals or 1861 early Remington 36 cal.

I posted this in the revolver section but didn't get any info. Maybe it's impossible to find out what I have.
New to the forum.
I have my grandfathers 36 cal. Remington percussion revolver.
After lots of research in books and on internet I have narrowed it down to a 36 Caliber Remington Beals or early 1861 36 Cal. Remington Navy. Both were made in the 1862 to 1863 time frame for use in the civil war.
I seem to be getting conflicting info on barrel length.
The easiest way to identify it is the loading lever which is the only part missing.
Serial number is 6920 under the brass trigger guard and under the grip wood on frame.
Barrel length is 7 1/4". Most collectors info says the Rem. Beals has a 7 1/2" barrel and the 1861 early model 7 3/8". My barrel measures 7 1/4". I'm thinking that the barrel length can vary 1/4" on these models.
Cylinder pin is shaped like the Beals, but the barrel is shorter like the 1861 model.
I ordered a reproduction loading lever from Dixie gun works for the 1861 model, but can't find a loading lever for the Beals.
I would like to return it to operating condition. I ordered new springs and a hammer and various screws.
What model do I have?

I now have the parts from Dixie and the loading lever is definitely wrong. Too short and the loading cylinder is too large. Also the trigger spring I ordered is flat and I can't figure out where or how it works. I ordered a 36 cal. Remington lock and trigger spring combo that works after I ground it down a little. Still don't know what it is. The hammer is wrong also. I'll post in the gunsmithing section to see if anybody makes these parts.
Phil
Old January 23, 2006, 02:44 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Remington Beals is marked "Beals Patent Sept 14 1858" on the barrel; the 1861 model is marked "Patented Dec 17, 1861" without the Beals name.

A photo would help, as there are a couple of differences that are just not possible to describe.

HTH

Jim
Old January 28, 2006, 11:00 AM   #3
Phil - MO

I think I'll just get a good machinist to adapt the parts I ordered from Dixie and not worry what model it is. It's just a family heirloom that I would like to repair to working order and keep to pass on. I can't get original parts anyway.
The barrel is unmarked other than a very rough large uneven M filed into the flat side of the barrel. The serial number matches under the trigger guard and wooden grip.
Maybe the barrel was replaced somewhere along the line. Especially since it measures 7 1/4" instead of 7 1/2". The round silver front sight looks original other than it was filed to a slot to make sighting more precise?
If I had the loading lever it wouldn't be a problem to identify. Maybe I'll tear the old log farm house apart looking for it when I get time. My grandfather passed away in 1939 and his father homesteaded the farm around 1875 and my granfather supposedly shot a deer with the revolver when he was a child around 12. I would assume his father purchased the gun from the government after the civil war.
Phil