The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 7, 2007, 01:33 AM   #1
Idaho Rob

Rock Salt

I have an animal problem and I think some rock salt loads could be the solution. Are these an urban myth or is it really possible to effectively shoot salt. I envision it just turning into powder or possibly damaging my gun. Anyone ever try this? Rob.
Old July 7, 2007, 01:40 AM   #2
oldbillthundercheif

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot33.htm
Old July 7, 2007, 09:41 AM   #3
stinger

If something requires shootin' it requires dispatching. Save the rock salt for making ice cream. If you shoot something, be prepared to kill it. If you are not prepared to kill something, don't shoot it.

The law won't see any distinction, if this is a legal concern.
Old July 7, 2007, 09:44 AM   #4
fisherman66

I've used a BB gun to teach the neighbors cats to keep out of our garage. A couple took several lessons. Those particular ones could probably set off a metal detector.
Old July 7, 2007, 10:43 AM   #5
Rimrod

Where my grandparents lived they always had strays of some kind hanging around. They used rock salt with very good results. One thing they did was after filling the cup back up with salt they would put several pellets back in to break the skin. Penetration isn't like a regular shell where deeper is better, it only has to get into the skin.

I remember watching my dad shoot at a dog once. He was on the front porch and the dog was running up the driveway. When dad shot, the dog was about 60' away, you could see the fur raise up where the salt hit and the dogs speed increased considerably.
Old July 7, 2007, 12:24 PM   #6
VaFisher

Interesting link. I remember getting shot at with rock salt as a child. I also remember it's sting and burn but not much getting through. It did it's intended job even if it was not a full charge of salt getting through. We knew back then that they the shooter didn't want to hurt us to bad but more to scare us. It was kind of a game with us in those day's that had some sting and burn in it. For those wanting to know it was a short cut through some woods that got us shot with salt.
Old July 7, 2007, 07:30 PM   #7
sat

I have the same problem from time to time. I have had good luck with firecrackers.
I fellow I work with had a pack of dogs that were killing his young calfs, and he put one down wiht a "lucky" rifle shot. The owner did not get the shooter but the Humane Society did. They hit him with a fine.
Old July 7, 2007, 07:49 PM   #8
Lavid2002

balistics gel

When I was looking at some 12 ga. ballistics get from F.B.I. tests it showed random turns and scattering of shot that ran up to 6-8 inches in, although the shotcup or wad went a good 1, 1/2" into the gel...so if your 4 feet fromt he guy dont even bother with the salt, empty the shot and jujst hit em w/ the wad then throw some salt on em by hand if you please : D
Old July 7, 2007, 10:20 PM   #9
stinger

Quote:
I remember getting shot at with rock salt as a child.
I'm not quite sure what lesson that person was trying to teach.

I don't advocate violence, and am by nature a peaceful man. But anybody who would shoot a child for something like that needs sound drubbing. I'm talking about a country butt whooping.

Adult trespassers are a different animal, but just shooting at anybody without good reason makes you the lowest piece of vermin to ever live. Shooting people is a serious thing, not to be taken lightly. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time is not what I'd call valid.
Old July 8, 2007, 02:58 AM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Just don't use split peas! Unless you mean it!

My Grandpa used to tell this one. Back in the '40s, a neighbor begged him to load up a couple of 12ga shells with split peas. Seems the neighbor had as dog that was too interested in his chickens. He didn't want to kill the dog, just convince it to avoid the chicken coop.

My Grandfather told him to use rock salt. He was insistant on split peas. He got shells with split peas. In my Grandfather's words, "Killed that dog dead as a stone!"

Never found anything my Grandfather told me to be wrong. Course, he also said that the best thing about living so long was that there was no one left to call him a liar!
Old July 8, 2007, 03:01 PM   #11
VaFisher

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what lesson that person was trying to teach.

I don't advocate violence, and am by nature a peaceful man. But anybody who would shoot a child for something like that needs sound drubbing. I'm talking about a country butt whooping.

Adult trespassers are a different animal, but just shooting at anybody without good reason makes you the lowest piece of vermin to ever live. Shooting people is a serious thing, not to be taken lightly. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time is not what I'd call valid.
I would have to agree and would have myself if I were older at the time. Never did realy hurt anyone as we got smarter because of it.
Old July 8, 2007, 07:24 PM   #12
Idaho Rob

I don't want to say what I am shooting, and I am quite prepared to dispatch it, but would prefer not to. I have tried shooting near this particular critter with my .357 and have scared it off only after multiple shots. I understand my neighbors have been having problems also and have also tried to scare it off with gunfire, but with similar poor results. I think this animal has been acclimated to gunfire and doesn't think much of it. I want to sting it and teach it to stay away. Rob.
Old July 8, 2007, 08:29 PM   #13
Dave R

Gotta love the Box of Truth.

Seems like rock salt has a very narrow window of effective range. Too close, and you risk killing something. Very far, and it has no effect.

So probably not useful unless you know your load and your distance well.
Old July 9, 2007, 08:37 AM   #14
Rimrod

Go to your loacal craft store and buy some hard plastic beads. Load them the same way you would rock salt. Don't get too close.
Old July 9, 2007, 09:04 AM   #15
Martyn4802

I think that Rock Salt would not be the best substance for handling pests.
Don't know your circumstances, but if the animals are pets owned by neighbors, you need to be aware of the legal consequences of your actions.
I personally have a sling shot for chasing animals away from my place.

Martyn
Old July 10, 2007, 12:06 AM   #16
Idaho Rob

Thanks to all who commented. That box-o-truth was great. I will paint dogs with paint balls out of my slingshot, and use steel balls for other nuisance animals. In my location I am completely legal to dispatch this critter and have been asked to do so by some neighbors, but would prefer to educate it instead. I will go with the tried and true slingshot as it has been most effective in the past. Rob.
Old July 10, 2007, 01:48 PM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Rock salt? Brings back memories of a particular watermelon patch and an owner who didn't appreciate the local kids' efforts at enjoying Sweet Stuff. A little stinging, once in a great while, but no damage done. We just figured it was part of "our deal". No animosity at all.

Lotta laughing at whoever got stung.

, Art
Old July 12, 2007, 11:04 PM   #18
copdills

I haven't myself , but my Grandfather used salt loads once in a while lol