The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 29, 2024, 06:41 AM   #1
taylorce1

Any Krag owners out there?

I'm just up extremely early, thanks to a puppy. I decided not to go back to sleep as it looks like I'll be called to work in about 45 minutes. So I'm sipping coffee and looking through emails and I have a response from Hornady's tech team.

I'd sent them a message asking about bullets for my .30-40 Krag rifle. I have a very nicely done sporter Krag, that I bought nearly 20 years ago now. I don't shoot it a lot but I always enjoy it when I do. The only modification I've done to the rifle is add a Rice Peep Sight, as it was missing a rear sight when I purchased the rifle. Here is a screen shot for those unfamiliar with a Rice peep.

The rifle has been missing the safety as well since I purchased the rifle. One of the many friends (hooligan1) I've made from this site, gifted me a complete Krag bolt. I've just not moved the safety over, even though I've had this part for a few years now.

Now as to why I contacted Hornady. I only have 20 rounds left of ammunition for this rifle loaded with its favorite bullet 180 grain Sierra PH RN. Well the old Sierra as well as many 180 grain RN bullets never seem to be in stock. The 220 grain RN which I can use just doesn't shoot as well as a 180. So I asked Hornady about some bullets for this rifle since RN are gettingbhard to find, specifically the 175 grain Sub-X and if they could be used at supersonic velocites. Here is the reply:

Quote:
Thank you for reaching out. At the moment, we recommend using the data available for similar velocities. We have successfully pushed Sub-X bullets up to 2,000 fps and they held together well. For your .30-40 Krag rifle, you might consider the 190 Sub-X bullet, which is designed to perform at a range of velocities, including supersonic speeds. However, we do not have specific data for your rifle at supersonic speeds. For the most current load data, please check our website at https://www.hornady.com/support/load-data/. If you have further questions or need assistance, feel free to contact our tech team at 1-800-338-3220.Thank you,Hornady/SnapSafe Tech Team
Luckily I have some 190s on hand because of my .300 BLK. I'm looking forward to trying these in my old Krag rifle, and I'll try the 175s as well. I have in the past tried cast gas checked bullets, they did okay as well. However, I didn't really enjoy bullet casting.

Anyway, I was just wondering what everyone has found works in their old Krag rifles? I'll post pictures of my rifle later, I don't need to wake my wife up to go and get it. Plus it's still dark outside.
Old March 29, 2024, 11:27 AM   #2
tangolima

I have 2 krags; one sporter and one original military. Bullets I have tried

RNGC cast bullet 0.311" 180gr
Hornady #3031 0.308" 150gr

The sporter shoots the cast bullet well. The military rifle has worn riflings. The cast bullet strips through. The jacketed bullet shoots ok. Both around 2" at 100yd.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old March 29, 2024, 11:46 AM   #3
mikejonestkd

I have a decent shape 1898 dated krag, and was fortunate to get several hundred rounds of mil surplus ammo with it. The brass was in poor condition so pulled the bullets and load them in modern brass.

I use the original 220 gr fmj bullets and H4985 to get 2100 fps.
A good friend used 220 gr sierra RN in his krag with good results
Old March 29, 2024, 11:52 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

I haven't loaded .30-40 in several years. Best I can recall, I used 180-200-220gr from either Speer or Sierra.

I'd like to help, but the only Krag I have currently is a 6.5x55mm.
Old March 29, 2024, 12:10 PM   #5
HiBC

I have a Krag that I bought "already sporterized" because it was there.
Stock and barrel cut.Its a faux carbine.
I put that exact Rice Peep on mine. I think it is elegant simplicity. No Swiss Cheesing required!
If you go to "Reloading" then pick the "Cast Bullet" section, scroll down to get to the "Glenn Fryxell PDF " post.

I discovered it quite a while ago. Mr Fryxell makes a case for the 30-40 being the ideal cast bullet reloading cartridge,
Per his writing,with the Approx 200 gr molds available today,those molds were designed for the Krag.
He found accuracy holds up well to about 1900+ fps with the 200 gr or so bullets.
OK,not full jacketed velocity,but in a rifle approx 125 years old built with steel and tech of the time, the loads seem appropriate to just enjoying the Krag.
I have a Rem 08 in 300 Savage,and a .308, and more than one 30-06, even a 30-338.
I don't need to push my Krag,

Anyway,I hope you will read the Fryxell post.

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCB30-40Krag.htm

I wonder about powder painted bullets in the Krag .

Last edited by HiBC; March 29, 2024 at 12:19 PM.
Old March 30, 2024, 04:02 PM   #6
highpower3006

I have a couple, a 1898 rifle and a real 1898 carbine. I haven't shot either in many years and while I reload, I haven't gotten set up to load .30-40. Honestly, I have been kind of hoping to find a stash of commercial ammo languishing in the back of a store somewhere, but so far no luck.

Old March 30, 2024, 06:12 PM   #7
jcj54

I loaded 180 gr Spitzer boattails in mine. Always feed fine.