The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 15, 2014, 09:09 AM   #76
Kev

But, I almost bought a black powder revolver kit from...wait for it...an amusement park. Back in the 70s, the local amusement park was called Silver Dollar City and it featured an old west theme. The gun store in the "town" sold black powder kits and complete guns.The park security officers even carried SAA style pistols to complement their western garb. The amusement park is still around and today it's known as Dollywood (still owned by the same company but with Dolly's endorsement added).

That's cool, I call on them as a vendor...
Now that I think about it, unless I am creating my own reality here..
Knott's Berry Farms in Buena Park, Ca had a "gun shop" in the ghost town area that sold BP kits..Either that or the blank firing Colt SAA replica's.
Old January 18, 2014, 02:30 AM   #77
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkeith
But, I almost bought a black powder revolver kit from...wait for it...an amusement park. Back in the 70s, the local amusement park was called Silver Dollar City and it featured an old west theme. The gun store in the "town" sold black powder kits and complete guns.The park security officers even carried SAA style pistols to complement their western garb. The amusement park is still around and today it's known as Dollywood (still owned by the same company but with Dolly's endorsement added).
I'm from WNC, I remember Silver Dollar City, or wait, am I thinking of Ghost Town in The Sky? Anyway, gunfights in the street and armed robbery on the train! Fun stuff!
Old January 18, 2014, 10:49 AM   #78
TRX

In 1985, I bought a full-auto M-11 SMG at a local auto parts store. In1986, I bought an 10" double barrel shotgun pistol from them. Those were the longest three-month waits of my life...
Old January 18, 2014, 01:52 PM   #79
Jo6pak

About 20 years ago I bought a pistol from a co-worker. Not so strange you say?
Well he brought it into work and showed it to me right in the production area. We exchanged money and I kept the pistol at my work station for the rest of the day. There was no thought of it. Heck, every time someone bought a new gun, bow or knife they brought it in for "show and tell."
I'm guessing if you tried that today at most places you would get fired or arrested
Old January 18, 2014, 01:57 PM   #80
hootey

OTASCO

My first rifle was a stevens single shot bolt action 22 purchased with lawn-mowing money at OTASCO in the mid 70s. The second, was a savage/stevens model 24 22/410 bought at OTASCO by my father as a Christmas present in 1978. I still have the model 24
Old January 18, 2014, 08:26 PM   #81
edfrompa

My first 22 rifle was purchased at our local hardware store.it was a savage, single shot, pull choke. I paid .50cents for a box of 22lr. I was 10 years old, my Mom made the purchase.
Old January 18, 2014, 09:15 PM   #82
Bozz10mm

Bought a 20 gauge shot gun from Western Auto when I was a youngster back in the late 60's. In 1981 I bought a used S&W Mod 39-2 at a pawn shop in my home town of Seguin. A couple weeks later, I saw a brand new one in Gibson's for the same price. Doh! For those who don't remember Gibson's, it was the place to go until Walmart ran them out of business.
Old January 19, 2014, 02:08 AM   #83
vkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo6pak
About 20 years ago I bought a pistol from a co-worker. Not so strange you say? Well he brought it into work and showed it to me right in the production area. We exchanged money and I kept the pistol at my work station for the rest of the day. There was no thought of it. Heck, every time someone bought a new gun, bow or knife they brought it in for "show and tell." I'm guessing if you tried that today at most places you would get fired or arrested.
I remember those days, and you're right that most employers now would have you fired or arrested. Fortunately, I don't work in one of those places. There have been many times when my boss, a hunter, has had a rifle or bow sitting in the corner of his office.
Old January 19, 2014, 04:42 PM   #84
Gunplummer

I bought a .410 from Western Auto and the barrel was marked "Western Auto". I bought a Russian Rifle through the mail back in the 60's sometime. I just recently sold it auction and it went high because it had no import marks. I bought a .22 at either Woolworths or Grants, too long ago to remember.
Old January 19, 2014, 04:58 PM   #85
Hawg

I bought my first Mauser out of a 55 gallon drum at Gibson's dept. store for 15.00 back in the early 70's.
Old January 19, 2014, 08:22 PM   #86
Kev

Seems like Western Auto sold a bunch if guns back in the day
Old January 19, 2014, 08:26 PM   #87
Kev

Seems there's still a couple around .
Found one in Exmore, Va

They even have a Face book page.
Old January 20, 2014, 01:24 PM   #88
Colt46

A bar. No, seriously!

I haven't done it myself but, there is a place called 'The Sportsman" in Sonora, CA that features a working bar and gun store. I have yet to buy anything from there(prices high and limited selection), but make it a point to take friends there just to have a beer and a laugh.
They've had dual status as combined sales since the 1940's.
The owner/bartender is a kick in the pants and says she has CCW but rarely carries it while working. I asked her why, she said "Honey, most of my regular customers have their own and everybody in town knows it."
Old January 20, 2014, 02:26 PM   #89
Kev

Thats almost shocking for California, but then it is out in Sonora..
I thought there was a CCW rule about booze and guns.....
Old August 6, 2014, 10:52 AM   #90
clive

Picked up a pistol at a gas station once! It's my oldest gun now and still have it!
Old August 6, 2014, 08:00 PM   #91
Unlicensed Dremel

I didn't buy them there but as a kid, perused them at "OTASCO" - Okla. Tire & Supply Co. Roughly equivalent to a Pep Boys meets Ace Hardware.
Old August 6, 2014, 09:08 PM   #92
kilimanjaro

Bought a S&W revolver at the desk of a co-worker in a federal office, from the notice on the lunchroom board.
Old August 7, 2014, 02:37 PM   #93
P5 Guy

Maybe Not So Strange

I always ask at yard sales if there is any militaria, hunting, or gun related stuff for sale. I got an 870 Wingmaster that had been sitting in the back of the deceased's closet. Looked like no one even moved it while painting. Had off white paint drips on it. $40.00 got it in my car.
Most of the other offerings haven't been of much interest to me.
Old August 7, 2014, 05:18 PM   #94
JimDandy

I'd have to hear the story again, but as I recall it, my dad traded something or other while riding on his school bus for a late 1900's Winchester.
Old August 8, 2014, 03:56 PM   #95
Skans

They still sell guns in hardware stores. I purchased a Cricket .22 at Reeves Ace Hardware in Clayton GA a couple years ago. They have a good assortment of AR's hunting rifles, airguns, handguns and a few shotguns...at the end of the isle displaying hand tools IIRC.
Old August 8, 2014, 04:07 PM   #96
motorhead0922

Ken's Pizza parlor. Remember those?

Bought a .30-06 from the manager in the 70's.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old August 8, 2014, 04:14 PM   #97
A400 Fan

Longs Drugs in NV,(before they were bought by one of the BIG chains) - you could go in there, buy a rifle, handgun or shotgun - no waiting period, walk around the corner from the guns and get ammo and reloading supplies, walk to the back of the store and get a bottle of your favorite liquor; then meander over to the Scrip counter for those mood meds.

One stop shopping at its finest!...........
Old August 8, 2014, 05:13 PM   #98
leadcounsel

I fear that someday the FTF transactions will be a thing of the past. Sad.

I was too young but recall drooling over the guns at the local hardware store as a youth.

As an adult, I've bought guns FTF at garage sales and gun shows and met folks in their living rooms and parking lots after seeing sales ads.

The coolest place was in a corner convenience store/restaurant. I wandered in and they had an FFL with guns for sale. I seized the unique opportunity. I bought a 20 gauge Mossberg, and for laughs for the receipt souvenir I also bought a catfish plate, a 6 pack of beer, and a dozen eggs.

Total, $217. Still have the receipt.

A great memory.
Old August 8, 2014, 05:50 PM   #99
Arizona Smithshooter

I bought a .22 from Western Auto when I was about 14...gave them the money, they gave me the gun. In 1971 I bought a Remington Nylon 66 from Sears Roebuck & Company for about 70 bucks. Only paperwork on that one was a sales receipt, and the gun doesn't have a Serial Number. I still have it and it is still a straight and reliable shooter.

In Jr. High I took my .22 single shot to school to work on the stock in wood shop. Took the school bus both ways, and when I took it home the bus driver said I had done a real good job and it looked better than new. Those were the days............
Old August 10, 2014, 06:40 PM   #100
Cfish

I bought my first pistol from an Oshman's sporting goods store in a mall in 1982.