The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 23, 2013, 02:44 PM   #1
saleen322

Heavy Bullets in the 327 Magnum?

Is anyone fooling around with heavier cast bullets (110 - 150) in the 327? I just tried some 150 flat point gas check cast bullets that I ran through a 0.312" sizer and they shot well; better than I had hoped. However it is running in the dark to get load data as I found nothing for much over 100 grains. Anyone else trying heavy bullets? FWIW I did look at the 327 loading thread but did not see anything heavy.
Old December 25, 2013, 12:31 AM   #2
Sevens

Well...

I load 115gr cast, which I also don't believe is heavy for the caliber, especially since the top factory load is a Gold Dot of the same weight. I suppose the only reason I bothered to reply is because you showed a range in your post of 110-150.

If I could get my hands on some of the Berry's 123gr rifle slugs designed for the 7.62x39 (.311" diameter), I'd like to see if I could run those, but I worry that the length of the bullet might shoot my theory full of holes.
Old December 25, 2013, 12:34 AM   #3
Sevens

Oh, wanted to add--

My "dream" is that the thread you referred to in your post here is the place to discuss ANY loads we might concoct in this fine chambering. It's no stretch to say that published load data is scarce, I'm not personally worried that posting our own findings is likely to cause some moron to do something stupid at his own load bench. (or to put this at another angle... nothing we would or wouldn't post isn't likely to change the fact that a moron at a load bench is going to do something stupid all on his own...)

If you've concocted some loads that worked and you used proper, safe, accepted methods to reach those loads, I would hope you'd share them in that thread. If you've also been able to chrono those loads... even better.
Old December 25, 2013, 04:59 PM   #4
saleen322

The bullets came out 153 grains without the gas check. I put a target up mostly to give an aiming point to help keep the rounds going through the chronograph on the same line. The revolver was just shot standing, not from a rest. When I went to the target, it had the 6 shots grouped just over 2" @ 25 yards and I was more looking at velocity and pressure signs than accuracy. Average was 1080 FPS with the primers showing less flattening than factory rounds and no sticky extraction. The temperature was around 20 so I did not want to test the limits of the load in that it may have higher pressure in warmer weather.

For those that follow the theory of the importance of sectional density in penetration, I think that load would be about a 0.225. For (approximate) references; 9mm 124 grain 0.140, 40 S&W 165 is 0.147, 10mm 180 grain 0.160, 45 Auto 230 grain 0.162, and 45 Colt 260 grain 0.183. This means that with the same velocity and similar bullet construction, this 327 load would out penetrate the referenced ones listed. YMMV
Old December 25, 2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Sevens

No need to list your charge weight, but I am curious about which powder you chose to create your horsepower and how you came to that choice.

In .327, in bullets from 71 to 115 grains in weight, I've used Bullseye, Titegroup, Universal, AA#7, IMR-800X, Longshot, 2400, AA#9 and Power Pro-300MP. Most all of these have either worked or worked extremely well, and all have been safe in the way that I've used them.
Old December 25, 2013, 07:44 PM   #6
saleen322

As far as powder, with a bullet of that weight and the case size, I lean towards the slower burning stuff. In the slower pistol powders, I most always have Bluedot, 2400, #9, H110, Lil'gun, 4277, and a few similar around. I used 2400 in these as I have the 2400 but I don't really use it as a go to load in anything anymore so I thought it would fine to just use it up experimenting. Now that I have some base line numbers, I am going to play with seating depth and then maybe some different powders.

Ruger used a standard Blackhawk frame which gives you a lot of cylinder length to play with--you have room for a long bullet in the 327. I thought why not take advantage of it. Here is a 32 H&R Mag compared to the 327 mag (left). You can see you get a lot more length to work with.

Last edited by saleen322; December 25, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old December 26, 2013, 12:11 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

Yea, the Ruger cylinders leave a lot of room to play with.
I've read of several shooters having custom bullet molds cut, so they could use every inch of space.
This is just one example: Accurate Molds 31-150B
Old December 27, 2013, 03:32 PM   #8
saleen322

I got a chance to do some more testing today. I moved the bullets out to the crimp groove as apposed to seating them with all the grooves in as before. This dropped the pressure even more and I increased the powder until I was at an average velocity of 1126 across the ten shots on the target below. The accuracy was still good but really no better than when the rounds were deep seated. I am just taking advantage of the cylinder length. Shooting @ 25 yards, the entire 10 shot group measured 3 1/8" with 8 shots coming right in at 1.5". These definitely shoot better than the federal factory stuff I tried so far. The pressure is still below factory ammo levels but due to the temp being in the high 20s and the accuracy being good, I am not going to increase powder until the weather warms. Really happy with the load.

I checked out the link FrankenMauser provided and those molds would have advantages over using rifle bullet molds and something I may try in the future. If anyone is interested, I will put the load data on the other 327 thread. Hope this helps someone out.

Old December 27, 2013, 03:35 PM   #9
Sevens

I am always interested in tested load data for the .327, even if I never have a chance to use it. I believe that we will have the finest source for enthusiast "tested & approved" load data on the planet if we can attract like-minded folks.

At this point, I'm simply wondering if your load would fit in the cylinder of my .327 Federal chambered GP-100. I don't know if the cylinder length is similar.
Old December 27, 2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Billy Shears

Interesting thread, gentlemen. Thanks for the info. Soon as the holidays are over and I shoot up this latest batch of reloads I'll be back at the bench cooking up new recipes for the .327. Mine are generally pretty generic and unimaginative though...Unique + 100 grain Rainier plated bullets, but maybe I should try something new.
Old December 28, 2013, 02:31 AM   #11
FrankenMauser

Quote:
At this point, I'm simply wondering if your load would fit in the cylinder of my .327 Federal chambered GP-100. I don't know if the cylinder length is similar.
I measured my GP100 and Blackhawk about a year ago. I don't remember what the exact difference was, but, for my intent and purposes, the effective length was exactly the same. (Couldn't have been more than 0.020" difference.)