The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 23, 2013, 08:07 PM   #1
Petespacking

Coonan, what's your favorite reload

Just got my Coonan and would like to start loading for it. I've got some 158 and 125 grain jacketed bullets available. Would you mind sharing your load data? Thanks
Old July 23, 2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Sevens

Pete, check this thread:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466534

...and after you've read it, post in it and bump it so that others will participate, too.
Old July 25, 2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

What are you going to shoot them through? Model? Barrel length?
Old July 25, 2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Sevens

Hmmm, Model? You mean... A, B, Cadet or Classic?!
Old July 27, 2013, 07:14 AM   #5
Petespacking

Sevebs, thanks for the great link. My gun is a new Classic. I've got about 60 rounds through it and is a lot of fun to shoot. I just loaded some 158 grain JHP's with 15.5 grains of 296. I have several 1911's and this "style" gun is my favorite. The noise and power of the 357 mag makes it a show stopper at the range.
Old July 27, 2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Sevens

PETE! Awesome! And I wanna hear more about it...!

But if you don't post in the other thread, nobody will ever see the other thread. Add your loads to it, give a review of how well they worked, and try other folks loads from that thread if you have similar components.

I hope to run some new/different handloads through mine this week, so maybe I'll bump that thread.
Old July 27, 2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Whisper 300

Not to hijack the thread but how long did it take from order to delivery?

I ordered one from LGS first week in Jan and was told 9 mo to a year.

does this match your experience?

Thanks---now back to regular progarmming

Gary
Old July 27, 2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Sevens

The back log was HEAVY but it appears to be thinning. My local FFL (fantasitc folks for anyone in Central Ohio, btw) is the only authorized Coonan dealer within a couple hundred miles and they waited a good bit for their first guns to arrive, but the first pair was followed up quickly by SIX more.
Old July 27, 2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Petespacking

It took 13 months! My FFL buddy ordered two and he has the second for sale if you are interested.

I shot 75 rounds today with my hand loads that I described a couple of threads back. I was grouping about 1.5 inch at 25 yards. I'm impressed with it so far. No FTF's, no problems at all. I took a few cans of food to use as targets and the magnum loads just destroy them! (Racoons have to eat too). I'm very satisfied with the looks, performance and handling of my Coonan. After the first round goes off everyone stops and watches, trying to see what kind of 1911 throws that much fire and make so much noise. The loads I'm shooting do make the circular ring of fire, never seen that before but it's cool!
Old July 27, 2013, 05:47 PM   #10
Sevens

Quote:
After the first round goes off everyone stops and watches, trying to see what kind of 1911 throws that much fire and make so much noise.
I hesitate to post anything that seems to go against the grain of a Coonan that I love so much but a -really- good answer to THAT question is a .460 Rowland!
Old July 27, 2013, 09:25 PM   #11
Petespacking

I can imagine a .460 having a real bark!

I forgot to mention that I loaded 10 rounds with 158 grain HSM plated bullets and 15.5 grains of 296 just to give them a try. I didn't see any difference compared to the jacketed bullets. The holes in my target were smooth and round. Just info......
Old July 27, 2013, 10:30 PM   #12
Sevens

HSM plated bullets...
Got a link? I'm familiar with HSM being a brand of ammo, but I've not seen them offered as a component slug.

I would think that a full-boat charge of H110 is likely going to drive a plated slug out of it's range, but if your hits on target were satisfactory, it's hard to argue.
Old July 28, 2013, 06:35 AM   #13
Petespacking

HSM Custom bullets are availble from Midway. A friend of mine that is an associate editor for a gun magazine said he has loaded and shot magnum loads with plated bullets so I gave them a try. I didn't run them through a chrony so I'm not sure how fast they were going but I plan on loading a few more and experimenting further. I'm sticking with my jacketed bullets for my primary loads but I plan on developing a plated load and keeping them around 1250 FPS.