The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 30, 2010, 07:01 PM   #51
RickE

Bottom line... it's a cultural problem. As a child, I had my .22 and 30/30 hanging on my bedroom wall in a AMERICAN black walnut gun rack I made in Junior High wood shop. I don't even think I would be allowed to make a gun rack in our zero tolerence schools in my state. I digress... all my friends had guns, we used to take them in many outings, and baclpacking in the Cascade mts. Never, did I ever hear of a gun related issue in or near my town. Not until many years later were guns ever an issue even in Seattle (nearest large city). People are the issue, not the instrument, period.
Old May 31, 2010, 04:30 AM   #52
BlueTrain

To the original poster, your friend might consider himself to be a conservative and you to be a radical. Maybe a neo-radical.
Buy War Bonds.
Old May 31, 2010, 09:19 PM   #53
johnwilliamson062

Well, he definitely considers himself to be a Liberal, or probably a progressive(thank god they have decided to stop stealing that term).
I won't say what he does for his day job b/c if I did, combined with my location which is public, it would be easy to identify the person. I doubt he would care as he is very open about his views, but I would hate to make that assumption. Suffice it to say it is a position that not many conservatives or Libertarians would be interested in.

I would guess he thinks I am quite radical. A large number of conseratives think I am quite radical for supporting the legalization of drugs(not marijuana, but all). Nobody wants me on their team