The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2008, 06:23 PM   #1
coolhandluke4

223 for deer?

Hey, what bullets should I use for reloading for deer size game? I read that Nosler's 60 grain spitzer was made for deer, they said that bullet gave the same performance as a 30-30 at 100 yards. Can I use Hornady's 55 grain spire points? I thought I had read somewhere that the hornadys would work, but when I was at the range sighting in my rifle I was firing the hornady spires at the 50 yard target, and I think the bullets were hitting the plastic mesh that the target was taped to, and they were exploding and sending little fragments into the 75 yard target. I'd hate to have that happen shooting a deer and just make a bad flesh wound.
Thanks in advance!
Old March 30, 2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Linear Thinker

2 thoughts for your consideration:

1. Legality - 22 cartridges are not legal for large game in my state and many others. I wouldn't know about SC, but you should check.

2. The vast majority of 22 bullets are made for either target shooting (most of 62, 69 and 75 grainers) or varmint hunting (thin-jacketed bullets that explode on impact).
Neither would work on large game.

You might try military 55gr bullets, they have thicker jackets and would not explode when they hit a bone. Nosler bullets are excellent, I use them in 250 Savage for deer. If they advertise a bullet as suitable for a .223 deer round - it would be worth trying.

Personally, I would not use a 223 for anything larger than a coyote.
LT
Old March 30, 2008, 07:24 PM   #3
MSgt G

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/faqsdeer.html#10

"State laws and regulations prohibit the hunting of deer with .22 rimfire rifles in Game Zones 1, 2 and 4 (Piedmont and Mountains) and on all WMAs. No regulations apply to Game Zones 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11. However, a .22 rimfire rifle is inadequate to harvest deer and can result in wounding or unrecovered deer. RESPECT for the animal hunted should always be a common sense guide for ethical hunters. Use only a weapon that allows the animal to be cleanly harvested. Generally speaking, a .243 or 6mm is the smallest caliber normally recommended for deer. For more information, call SCDNR Law Enforcement at (803) 734-4002."
Old March 30, 2008, 09:18 PM   #4
snuffy

Quote:
State laws and regulations prohibit the hunting of deer with .22 rimfire rifles
He's not asking about rimfire 22 rifles.

The nosler 60 grain IS a partition bullet. It should work just fine on normal sized deer IF the shot is somewhere in the boiler room,(lung area). Shots at a long angle, or through bone would probably result in a wounded animal.

Winchester power points in 55 or 60 grain weights are supposed to work well also.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 30, 2008, 09:28 PM   #5
Ruger4570

Some people will shoot deer with any gun they own, regardless of suitability. I have shot a couple of deer with a .243 and think it is a so so proposition. My personal take on the subject is that the gun and bullet should have the ability to expand and completly pennetrate any game shot, including bad angle shots people take. To me the lightest deer bullet should weigh in around 117 grains or more.
Old March 30, 2008, 10:27 PM   #6
taylorce1

I wouldn't use the .223 for deer but hey that is just me. Since it is legal where you are hunting I don't have a problem with you wanting to use it. The only suggestions I can make is if your barrel has a 1:9 or faster twist use the 60 grain Nosler Partitions. If your twist rate is slower you might not get the 60's to stabilize so look for Barnes TSX bullets they make it in a 53 or 55 can't quite remember.

Stick to the rib cage and don't take marginal shots since you will be using what I consider to be a marginal caliber. Take out both lungs of any deer and they will not get far. Best of luck too you in your endeavor, I hope it all works perfectly for you.
Old March 31, 2008, 07:18 AM   #7
CPTMurdoc30

If it can kill a human why can it not kill a deer?

The 60 gr Nosler partition should work. Look into the Berger VLD in 75gr 80gr and 90gr.
Old March 31, 2008, 08:24 AM   #8
freakshow10mm

Those Bergers need a 7 or 8 inch twist to stabilize and won't feed from an AR15 mag. If you are using a bolt gun, you might get them to feed.

Murdoc, I've been asking myself that forever. I don't get it either.
Old March 31, 2008, 08:50 AM   #9
taylorce1

Quote:
If it can kill a human why can it not kill a deer?
Think about deer hunting as the same thing a LEO or Military sniper does to take out a target. I don't know for sure about it but usually the smallest caliber they use in that situation is the .308/7.62 to take out a human. Why, because it gives better capabilities and penetration. I'm sure if the situation dictates the Officer/Soldier will use the .223 to get the job done, but I'm sure that the would prefer a bigger more powerful cartridge when you only have one shot to make it count.

Besides if we stick to your analogy then why not use .17 caliber rimfires and .22 Shorts to kill deer? I'm sure they will kill humans as well. I need a better argument than the one you just gave to change the way I think.

I have a feeling that the OP is going to use the .223 on deer no matter what. So I just offered the best suggestions I could to make sure that he had the best chance for success. I still don't recommend this cartridge as a first choice for deer hunting if they have better ones sitting in the safe.

Quote:
Murdoc, I've been asking myself that forever. I don't get it either.
I can answer that one based on what I've learned in the Military. The .223/5.56 allows an increase of rounds carried in a soldiers basic load. A basic load is 210 rounds of 5.56, I can't remember correctly but I think the basic load was around half that with the 7.62 NATO. Often times in a fire fight volume of fire is more important than quality of fire, the 5.56 allows for more volume of fire. While the enemy is suppressed it gives more time for the soldiers unit to out maneuver them or call in heavier fire. Remember as well a wounding shot in combat is just as good if not better than a killing one, you can't say the same about deer hunting.
Old March 31, 2008, 09:01 AM   #10
SL1

Murdoc wrote: "If it can kill a human why can it not kill a deer? "
and Freakshow wrote: "Murdoc, I've been asking myself that forever. I don't get it either."

The real question is "How far is the deer going to go before it dies, and can you still find it where it finally drops?"

The .223 in its military form (non-expanding bullet) is not getting good reviews as a "man-stopper" in urban fighting in Iraq. Too many of the enemy are continuing to fire their AKs after getting hit, killing some of our soldiers. Thus, the interest in better cartridges and the experiements with the 6.8 SPC (a 115 gr .270 bullet in a shortened and blown-out 30 Remington case).

Even in the "D.C. sniper" shootings (with a .223), some victims lived after being shot (thanks to good medical responses).

So, I don't think a .223 is a sure thing on deer, which are tougher than people. But, it obviously will work if you only take the "good" shots with properly designed bullets and have the marksmanship needed.

SL1
Old March 31, 2008, 09:07 AM   #11
MaineColt

I think that .223 is a fine cartridge for deer. My father uses it from time to time. He made a one shot kill on a doe that hit her shoulder, perfectly broadside at 80 yards. (Factory Remington green box, 55 gr PSP) It broke both shoulders taking out the lungs. She dropped on the spot, was dead when we walked up to her.

We have shot deer with .223, .243, .308, .35 Rem, 30-06, etc. None have done better.
Old March 31, 2008, 09:13 AM   #12
freakshow10mm

Quote:
Think about deer hunting as the same thing a LEO or Military sniper does to take out a target. I don't know for sure about it but usually the smallest caliber they use in that situation is the .308/7.62 to take out a human. Why, because it gives better capabilities and penetration.
And many departments have been experimenting with ligher bullets, tipped bullets, etc because in the urban sniper's envionment, the reality is most shots when they are taken are less than 50y. You are making a comparison between an urban police sniper that is carrying a bullet that might have to make it through glass or a car door but not overpenetrate and hit an innocent bystander or hostage to shooting a deer in the open with no barrier. There has also been considerable testing and field performance in the military sniper role regarding the 7.62/.308 Win. I see and read about quite a few police departments going down to precision AR type rifles as of late.

I don't have military experience, but three of my cousins have combat experience in Iraq/Afganistan/Desert Storm. They tell me the only place where the 7.62 NATO is better than the 5.56 NATO is past 600M. When they get into an urban assault role, the 7.62 guys want a 5.56, some carry both.
Old March 31, 2008, 09:13 AM   #13
45Marlin carbine

I don't have a.223 but have taken enough deer with a .22LR to know that it's all shot placement. I use an AMT with glass to take deer that I've got a 'nuisance permit' on. but then I would not consider it the 'ideal choice' on gamelands. Noslers are good pills for sure.
Old March 31, 2008, 09:17 AM   #14
freakshow10mm

And yes I've used a .223 on deer. I killed four of them. Three with a Win 64gr PP and the other with a Hornady 68gr BTHP. All were shot within 75y and all traveled no more than 50y before piling up. None required a second shot. I've shot deer in the heart with a .308 and .30-06 and they ran farther than those hit with the .223. For the rep the 30 cals get, I wasn't impressed.
Old March 31, 2008, 09:21 AM   #15
Lawyer Daggit

Check around newer projectiles. A number of bullet manufacturers now produce heavily constructed .22 projectiles for this purpose.

Put it right and it will do the job. Professional Deer hunters in NZ have used it for a decade or more.

These guys are pro's they shoot daily and are not looking at a perfect shot on a once in a lifetime stag or suffering from Buck fever.

You must also pass up a number of good shooting positions and focus on targetting the brain.

Make less than a perfect shot and the result is less than humane and it has little to recommend it imho.

I must say though as a matter of circumstances (it is what I had in my hands at the time) I have taken more deer (mainly fallow) /goat and pig with my .222 than anything else. HOWEVER I only take brain shots and the range less than 100 yards.
Old March 31, 2008, 12:14 PM   #16
Scorch

Although I would never recommend it, a 223 will kill a deer if you use a bullet built and designed to penetrate. I have known several people in the past who used 22-caliber centerfire rounds as deer rounds, and they worked very well, but those folks were (are) excellent shots.

The Nosler 60 gr Partition will penetrate very deep and is capable of taking deer with no problems if your rifle can shoot them. Winchester 62 gr Power Points also supposedly work well. Or you can use any Hornady Interlock or Interbond bullet, Sierra GameKing, or Speer Hot Core bullet, as these are intended for hunting game animals.

Do not use standard 22 caliber bullets, as they are not designed or intended for game animal hunting. The problem with most 22 caliber bullets is that they are designed as varminting bullets, intended to break up upon impact, which would result in a wounded animal.
Old March 31, 2008, 12:27 PM   #17
totalloser

I would suggest winchester 64 grain power points. .223 has plenty of energy, but getting it to transfer (expansion) is the key. My buddy has taken many whitetails with it (and it IS legal in CA, soft points and hp's only) and so far has had to take a follow up shot only once. It's all about placement. This is a small caliber to hunt medium game with (I would not call most deer big game, sorry). Perhaps a heavier bullet would be a better choice.

That said, 5.56 was not introduced under the illusion it would stop like 7.62 nato. The concept was that the lighter recoil, more packable ammo, and the fact that a wounded enemy is basically out of the fight. Another major reason was the tall tale of the "self cleaning" gun. Anyone who thinks that .223 will stop like .308 needs to give it further consideration.
Old March 31, 2008, 12:33 PM   #18
Alleykat

You guys who don't know the difference between requirements for killing humans and killing deer should take a middle-school physiology course.
Old March 31, 2008, 12:48 PM   #19
freakshow10mm

And if your wallet can sustain it, try the 75gr Sciroccos.
Old March 31, 2008, 01:13 PM   #20
WCW

I haven’t used a .223 for deer, but I used one with the Nosler partition 60 grain bullet this year for a javelina hunt, and it worked perfectly. I have no doubt given some range limitations and proper shot placement that those bullets would also work very well on deer as well.
Old March 31, 2008, 09:39 PM   #21
Bearwolf

I would give the Hornady 60gr SP, Win Powerpoint 64, or the Sierra 65gr BTSP a try. All depending upon the rifling of your rifle. The Hdy 60gr will drop em like a sack of rocks, just pick your shots, aim for the head/neck and you will be fine.
Old April 1, 2008, 12:11 AM   #22
Crosshair

In my state, North Dakota, the regulations state that any 22 centerfire or larger may be used. FMJ bullets are illegal for hunting deer.

If you want to use a 22 Hornet, it's legal here.

Plenty of people here use a 223 with good results.
Old April 1, 2008, 09:56 PM   #23
DR. Furlicker

I've killed four deer with a Ruger M77 compact I love the rifle weighs about 6lb. Two were killed with UMC 55gr SP and two with hand loaded shells with 60gr WIN SP all were well placed shots ranging from about 60 to 125 yards, two body one neck and one head shots. None of the deer went very far maybe 40 or 50 yds, and one dropped where it stood. The main thing is to make sure you only take a good shot.
Old April 1, 2008, 10:15 PM   #24
jimbob86

The difference

"You guys who don't know the difference between requirements for killing humans and killing deer should take a middle-school physiology course."

The difference between military marksmanship and hunting marksmanship is basicly purpose:

military - to take the enemy out of the fight. You can do this by hitting him with a rifle round of decent energy (.223 qualifies, up to a modest range) anywhere between "the top of his bean and the bottom of his beans"- the top of his head to the bottom of his pelvis. You are not overly concerned that he is killed- in fact, it is better if he is not, as his comrades may stop shooting at you long enoughto help him.

hunting- you want a humane, quick kill (usually heart/lung), w/o damaging any meat

.223 will work (where legal) if you restrict yourself to sure shots, broadside, at modest range, with bullets that will hold together, yet expand to tear up the lungs/heart. I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.
Old April 2, 2008, 06:59 AM   #25
coolhandluke4

Thanks guys for the replies!
I actually have absolutely no interest in eating deer, I"m actually extremely allergic to deer meat for whatever reason.
I just wanted to know in case I had to provide for my family, as we're lousy with deer around here.
BTW, my gun's a Bushmaster Varminter, with a 6-24 scope on it, and not to brag but I'm pretty darn good with it. I don't think I'd take a shot over about 75-100 yards anyway, given the limitations of the bullet.