The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2000, 12:18 AM   #1
RHarris

I have seen the Lee Hand Press on their web site. Does this thing work very good?
Old October 6, 2000, 10:20 AM   #2
Bogie

I use mine with their collet dies. Very nice for my varmint and long range rifles...

Old October 6, 2000, 11:44 AM   #3
saands

I have been using one for about ten years. For cases that resize easily and for people that place a premium on not having to have a permanent table set up (apartment/condo) they work very well. About 6 months ago I started doing my resizing on a vise mounted press in the detached one-car garage. Then I return to the comfort of the kitchen table in the condo to do the rest with the hand press. I never had any problems with .40's and .357's ... but .308's and for some strange reason 9mm's require a bit more work and drove me to buy Lee's simplest bench type press.
Hope this helps,
Saands
Old October 6, 2000, 12:37 PM   #4
freedomlover

Mine works great for reloading calibers. Haven't used it for calibers yet. Hope to start reloading .308 soon though. Can't beat it for the price ($27 from Midway).

freedomlover

Old October 6, 2000, 12:41 PM   #5
freedomlover

Just realized my computer's Cyber Sitter edited that post for me. I should have said I haven't used if for "long arm" calibers yet, but it works great for "revolver" calibers.

freedomlover

Old October 6, 2000, 05:47 PM   #6
Robert Foote

Have had one for ten-plus years now, used it a lot for pistol calibers and .30-06 as well. Broke a handle which I replaced; my fault for insufficient lube on an '06 case at the time. I got another one for my daughter as I would like to get her going on loading her own 9mm ammo--so I don't have to do it. Good tool--wouldn't be without it just for the convenience.

------------------
Old October 8, 2000, 06:01 PM   #7
Big Bunny

The Lyman 'TONG-TOOL' is another lower-volume reloader recommended for muscle building !Don't forget the 'lube!
The 'LEE LOADER' for shot-gun and pistol is also good and very portable-[but not available for FLS of centrefire of course,l neck sizing is OK] ...uses a mallet.

Vice crush-dies are another low cost FLS for rifle bottle-neck cartridges re-sizing.

Higher volumes do need a proper bench set-up I feel.
BB

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.
Old October 8, 2000, 11:41 PM   #8
MrMisanthrope

The BIG question is, will the Lee Hand Press handle the double crimp necessary for my ungodly compresed .454 loads?

350gr LBT hard-cast WFN
31gr 296 or H110
sm mag rifle primers
Taper AND roll crimp (so they don't jump after 1 or more 2200ftlb sisters go boom...)

------------------

HONOR PRAE OMNIBUS
INIURIA MINIMA OMNIBUS
Honor Before All
Doing Least Harm Always

[This message has been edited by MrMisanthrope (edited October 09, 2000).]