The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 28, 2013, 08:49 AM   #1
jeepmcd

Range Fees or Robbery?

I want to express my disgust about the amount of cash I had to fork over to shoot my already overpriced ammo over the weekend. A buddy and I waited for nearly an hour and had to pay nearly $40 for to share a lane. We weren't member's of the range so I realize that fees are going top be premium, but come on! So I am done with ranges, except for the Powder Room, which is only $10 for a lane. If the weather is good, I shooting outside, if mother nature is a bitch, I'll save my ammo.

I am new to ranges, since growing up I could walk off my parents deck and shoot all day long. So maybe I am being cheap, but I refuse to overpay for firearms, overpay for ammo, and then overpay for range time. Maybe I will take up knitting instead...

Discuss...
Old January 28, 2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Skans

I'm staying away from ranges for awhile. First, ammo is expensive and somewhat scarce. Second, there are too many people new to shooting at the indoor ranges. Third, I don't feel like going through the expense and hassle of joining a private range again. I'll wait until everything dies down or folks get tired of shooting their expensive ammo.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:12 AM   #3
wyobohunter

That is a ridiculous fee. I was complaining about the $80/year for the gun club in Kenai (AK). Here the ranges are publicly funded, no fees to shoot. I'd boycott that $40 per session range and shoot on nice days... Or crappy ones. If it ain't rainin' you ain't trainin'!
Old January 28, 2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

They didn't and can't force you to pay so its not anything remotely close to robbery.

You didn't require their goods and services in order to keep breathing, you sought them out and willing (even if reluctantly) paid their asking price.

It's called FREE enterprise.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:24 AM   #5
zincwarrior

Whats awesome about the USA is that, if you don't like the price for something, you don't have to buy it.

EDIT: I will say I've not seen $40 charged before, except maybe extended time at an indoor range.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Pilot

I joined a gun club in order to avoid range fees, and people that don't follow gun safety. More than the cost, (the local gunshop range charges $12/hour), it was the long wait, and unsafe behavior of some. Recently, I heard from a friends, the wait time was over two and a half hours. As others have said, lots of new shooters, which is a good thing, especially if they get propertly trained, but it does make ranges very busy. I also think the recent controversy and media attention has made people already into shooting re-discover it or at least want to participate more again.

Long story short, see if there is a club in your area that is accepting members, and if you like their facilities, join it. You will shoot more, with less stress, and probably meet some good folks.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Bongo Boy

Membership at the only local private club is about $350 one-time, and about $27/month thereafter, no range fees. However, the last time I took a guest to the club, it was $20 for the guest--the same fee you paid. That fee is for whatever time is available, pretty much, or for whatever time you have a lane reserved. It has just 10 lanes, so is not available at all for walk-ins on weekends at all.

The local outdoor range, open to the public, includes enough covered shooting stations for about 30 handgun shooters and uncovered stations for about 20 handgun, plus long-range rifle stations to accommodate about 40 or so rifle shooters. They charge $10 per person to shoot all day.

Ideally, if I'm turning away 50% of the people who want to shoot, then I would raise lane fees until I'm keeping the place full, but turning away only very few folks. One has to be careful doing that, of course, since many who are turned away won't come back at all, partly because they feel the way you do and partly because they don't know if the rates will come back down.

I think a reasonable solution for them would be to not boost rates to ridiculous levels, but accept reservations. However, the number or reservations made at my private club for which no one shows up is fairly high--people aren't generally very considerate when they don't have to be.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:54 AM   #8
jeepmcd

"They didn't and can't force you to pay so its not anything remotely close to robbery.

You didn't require their goods and services in order to keep breathing, you sought them out and willing (even if reluctantly) paid their asking price.

It's called FREE enterprise. "

Thanks for the micro-economics lesson.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Your disgust is adequately noted, but in the wrong forum.

This is the semi-automatic forum, not the my range charges me too much forum.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread