The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 28, 2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Winchester_73

the things you do for a friend

Recently I talked to a friend of mine, Buford, who wanted a K-22 or model 17 for a while. When he finally found one, he got unlucky - Buford was upset that his S&W 17-3 had some function problems. I mentioned to him that IMO the 4 and 5 screw K-22s / early 17s were of a higher quality. I more or less suggested he fix his 17-3, and then sell it (repaired and working) and then look for a nice K-22 / early 17, but more a shooter grade. Hes not the collector type who has to have the right wax paper (lol @ doc540 - although I can appreciate that mindset).

After a little patience, and a little luck I found Buford this K-22. Its a later one, K 326XXX - approx 1958 production. The grips number to the gun and it shoots like a dream. I mentioned to Buford one day that I bought him one, and he figured I wanted compensated for find it, and I said "no bud, only what I paid". He mentioned to me that he has fallen on hard financial times, so I told him I was in no big hurry. After all, only having 4 K-22 / model 17s always bothered me. 5 is a better number.

Here she is. I may be in line for some good gun karma. But I didn't do it for that, I did it to help a guy out. I'm sure we all have done similar things at one time or another.

I suppose if I was a real friend the gun wouldn't have this bit of barrel wear. Its a presentable piece which has just enough wear for guilt free shooting. Perfect in my opinion.

And you know, if ol Buford comes up with the money for this fine piece, I don't think the gun is gonna take too kindly to being separated from its brothers. If Buford passes on her, well hey, one K-22 for each weekday!

Clockwise from upper right, 1951 K-22 with the speed hammer (this was later changed to the hammer type on the 1958 gun), 1953 K-22 which belonged to my paternal grandfather (he outfitted it with a target hammer, target trigger and later target grips - I of course left it that way), K-22 4 screw 1958, 17-3 with full target package, NIB, and last but not least, a scarce k-22/40 aka K-22 2nd model from 1940. Might as well start lookin' for the 6th one

Last edited by Winchester_73; September 28, 2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old September 29, 2012, 07:57 AM   #2
stu925

You guys and your K-22s now I'm going to have to find one, thanks a lot. I guess it's not all your fault I've been contemplating it for a while. That's a pretty nice piece even with the barrel wear (character) and Buford is indeed lucky to have a friend who would go to the trouble of finding him the gun he's been looking for and then purchasing it for him. It's always a good idea to take care of your close friends, you never know when you might need them. Good gun karma or not I'm sure he'll appreciate what you did for him.

Stu
Old September 29, 2012, 08:11 AM   #3
JimPage

I have a nice specimen K22. Serial # indicates made in the early to mid 1930s. It's a nice shooter, has some small rust spots (not unusual for gun that old especially since it was in a drawer untouched for about 20 yrs before I got it). I am still amazed at it's accuracy. Only thing I had to do was have the sear recut. Best single action trigger I have ever felt!

I'd sell it for the right price, maybe. But I'd miss it. On the other hand I'm getting long of tooth and don't want it lost to some smooth talker after I kick the bucket. My family has no interest (hence no knowledge) of guns so they could end up selling it for peanuts, or just turning it in. <shudder>

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old September 29, 2012, 10:22 AM   #4
KyJim

Great looking group! I've got one K-22 from 1948 and it's the handgun I pick up when I want to shoot a .22.
Old September 29, 2012, 10:54 AM   #5
skidder

That is one beautiful herd! "Happy is the man whose quiver if full".

Nice thing to do for a friend.
I knew there was a soft tender guy in there the whole time, you didn't fool me for one post.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old September 29, 2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Stephanie B

Yeah, well, I had moved to a city for a spell in the early `90s, so I loaned my K-22 to the next-door neighbor's kid who was trying to improve his handgun shooting (and who had some rattly-old H&R). A few years later, he was living off-campus in college; his apartment was burglarized and the K-22 was stolen.

Still chaps my ass. But the new ones are out of my price range, for now, and the used ones aren't much cheaper. (Sure am glad that I hung onto my 6" Model 19.)
Old September 29, 2012, 08:52 PM   #7
stu925

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPage
I have a nice specimen K22. Serial # indicates made in the early to mid 1930s. It's a nice shooter, has some small rust spots (not unusual for gun that old especially since it was in a drawer untouched for about 20 yrs before I got it). I am still amazed at it's accuracy. Only thing I had to do was have the sear recut. Best single action trigger I have ever felt!

I'd sell it for the right price, maybe. But I'd miss it. On the other hand I'm getting long of tooth and don't want it lost to some smooth talker after I kick the bucket. My family has no interest (hence no knowledge) of guns so they could end up selling it for peanuts, or just turning it in. <shudder>
Jim I'd love to make you an offer on that gun but unfortunately the money's just not there right now. If in 6 or 8 months you would still consider selling it I might be able to make you an offer. I've been lusting after the older S&W guns as of late and this place just keeps making it worse. Seriously though I'm eventually going to have to get a K-22 and would be happy to own an older one when the money's there.

Stu
Old September 30, 2012, 03:20 AM   #8
Sevens

Love the pictured and well-described K-22's in this thread. Alas, I have only one, and it's not vintage like the ones everybody loves so dearly -- but it means an awful lot to me. Christmas present from my Mom on the first Christmas after my Dad passed away, and became my first handgun. I was 16 years old when I received it.

She had been considering buying a nicely kept but used Hi-Standard from a fellow at our Sportsman's Club, but he nixed the deal when he found that the pistol had some small problem that needed to be fixed. Instead, she bought a new Model 17-6, built in 1988.

Though mine isn't an older model from the earlier (and finer) days of Smith & Wesson, I believe it might be an interesting model in that it was a transitional period for the Model 17. Mine looks just like all the ones pictured in this thread, though S&W went to a full barrel underlug during this time.

Can someone explain why they would make 17-6 with and without the full barrel underlug? Wouldn't that be a significant change in the revolver, enough so to gain a new dash-number?

Would anyone have an idea of the production numbers of the 17-6 and what percentage had the familiar barrel versus the full underlug barrel?
Old September 30, 2012, 07:16 AM   #9
rodfac

Winchester 73, beautiful, simply beautiful...and how do I get on your "friend" list...I've looked for years for a K22 in like new condition, an early one, and not found the right example. Very nice indeed. Rodfac
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 4, 2012, 10:26 PM   #10
Venom1956

Friends don't get friends a K22 with muzzle wear or lacking the box and papers!

Besides he sounds like a deadbeat and isn't to be trusted... Perhaps when he doesn't man up to buy it you can PM me and I'll give it a good home.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 5, 2012, 07:02 PM   #11
Winchester_73

Quote:
Love the pictured and well-described K-22's in this thread. Alas, I have only one, and it's not vintage like the ones everybody loves so dearly -- but it means an awful lot to me. Christmas present from my Mom on the first Christmas after my Dad passed away, and became my first handgun. I was 16 years old when I received it.
Thanks, and much like you, the most special one for me is my grandfathers 1953 K-22. He had 4 kids, and worked 2 jobs to be able to afford to shoot. He saved up in the 50s or early 60s and bought this K-22 used. He kept it his whole life even when he sold many of his other guns. My uncle my dad and my great uncle have memories with it because they all 4 shot together. My grandfather actually had my uncle install the trigger and hammer and then my grandfather installed the later target grips. It needed a minor repair from S&W, but after that, it runs great. I completely understand how you feel about your model 17.

Quote:
Winchester 73, beautiful, simply beautiful...and how do I get on your "friend" list...I've looked for years for a K22 in like new condition, an early one, and not found the right example. Very nice indeed.
Thanks. I should just go ahead and sell you my collection. Like my uncle Les says "I'll will it to ya" - you can be my friend but I want someone to find ME a gun for a change.... (actually I shouldn't say that, I have quite a few guns that were found for me).

Quote:
I am still amazed at it's accuracy. Only thing I had to do was have the sear recut. Best single action trigger I have ever felt!
They are king of the hill as far as I'm concerned. I have a Colt OMM (almost a draw vs a K22) and a Diamondback. Never cared much for the Diamondback for shooting. I also have a S&W 34 22/32 kit gun. I hope to eventually get a DW 22 although they're uncommon.

Quote:
You guys and your K-22s now I'm going to have to find one, thanks a lot. I guess it's not all your fault I've been contemplating it for a while
After you check one out, hold it and shoot it, there is very little contemplating to be done.

Quote:
I knew there was a soft tender guy in there the whole time, you didn't fool me for one post.
Kind of like a pop tart, aren't I?

Quote:
Great looking group! I've got one K-22 from 1948 and it's the handgun I pick up when I want to shoot a .22.
Sometimes I must admit I do take my 1958 Colt OMM instead of a K-22. Its special because I only got one of those, for now...

Quote:
Friends don't get friends a K22 with muzzle wear or lacking the box and papers!
I wish it didn't have holster wear but I look at it this way: like a 1969 427 corvette which needs some paint work done on just both fenders. Minor cosmetic wear present BUT its still a 60s big block corvette.