The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 22, 1999, 09:52 AM   #1
Macoute

What are your thoughts on the .45 super as a whitetail load? I was thinking of working up a 1,100 fps load with a 230 grain JSP for my S&W 625. I have hunted relatively extensivley whith shotguns-slugs and traditional bows, but am seriously considering trying out handgun hunting. any thoughts on the viability of this handgun/load combo would be appreciated. FWIW, I would not take a shot outside of 35 meters and would be using iron sights.
Old August 22, 1999, 09:03 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Not sure where you are, but as long as the whitetail aren't in the 200 pound plus club, you should have a winner there. I would think about using Gold Dot 230 grain loads though. 1100 fps is still on the slow side for expansion (I think). In any event, looks like you have thought this through and will be successful..

Good luck,

Giz

------------------
"Hear the voices in my head, swear to God it sounds like
they're snoring." -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta"

Old August 23, 1999, 09:06 PM   #3
Long Path

Gizmo:
Respectfully disagree! Most 230 .45 bullets were designed to expand at a mere 830-870 fps! If anything, a good 230 SP or HP would be opening a bit rapidly! Thus, you'd want a very well-bonded bullet that will hold together under a variety of velocities, such as the Gold Dot HP or the Hornady XTP.

Who's SP? Shoot, I hardly knew anyone made SP in in a .45 acp profile, anymore!

I think the .45 Super would be excellent for whitetail, so long as the hunter does his part, and remembers the caveats of handgun hunting.
Old August 23, 1999, 09:15 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hi Long Path - ummm yeah. I am going to have to think about this. I do know that the 185's in several +P loads are hitting 1100 fps. Not sure what the - 1) impact velocity at 35 yards will be, 2) if the Gold Dots (as recommended) would hold up at 1100 fps.

I think that I will cut a 230 and a 185 .45 GD and see if I can measure jacket thickness..

Giz

------------------
"Hear the voices in my head, swear to God it sounds like
they're snoring." -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta"

Old August 26, 1999, 05:59 AM   #5
Long Path

Gold Dot .230 grainers open nicely at 10 yds on ballistic medium (I know those who've tested it) with a MV or 850 fps. With a MV of 1000+, I'd be very satisfied, indeed. I know many who like the .45 LC with a 230 at 950, or a .255 at 870, for a whitetailed deer round. There's a big diference?

I'd love to handle one of these-- it sounds like a fun pistol, made for hunting! I also have in mind one of my favorite sports: long-range pistol-plinking against a dry hillside. With 230g FMJ, this thing would really flatten out the rainbow arcs of the .45 acp!
Old August 26, 1999, 12:25 PM   #6
Keith Rogan

I think a .45 Super would be adequate for deer, but I have to question the wisdom of using a round that expands too much and doesn't exit?
Ideally, you would want a bullet that expands AND exits the animal. A deer isn't a man. It may not go down right there, it may run several hundred yards and it will be looking for the deepest cover it can find. If you have no exit wound, you have no blood trail and your game is probably lost.

I'd certainly research the penetration of the round chosen. If it doesn't penetrate through a good deal of ballistic median, say 16 or 18", I'd look elsewhere. I'd rather use a flatnose than a hollowpoint that won't exit an game animal.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Old August 30, 1999, 10:17 PM   #7
Long Path

Keith:
Agreed. I was about to say, myself, that a good truncated coned FMJ would be better than a flying ashtray that overexpands. If you could get your pistol to feed hard cast SWC's, that would be ideal.

L.P.