The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 23, 2000, 11:52 AM   #26
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

OK, Justin we can disagree. I still like you(G)...

Good point about Joe Average,10 years of instruction left me with plenty of horror stories. However, there's plenty of competent shotgunners out there.

And, most folks,even past tyro status, could use some lessons. I'll never be a great wing shot on my own.Until I get expert instruction, I doubt I'll ever improve significantly. On sporting clays ranges, folks with Perazzis don't point at me and snicker, but that's because I'm big and armed(G).

As for what semi trained folks will do in combat,I've some experience there. Many of the ones you'd think would not be effective, are, and vice versa.

And serious types may want all the goodies on their 870s,doesn't Itzhak Perlman play a real Stradivarius?

Finally, I'm not crazy about letting my E address out publicly. Had to deal with an Animal Rights psycho some time ago.

Shok, glad you found the shotgun of your dreams.Good luck and good hunting..
Old February 23, 2000, 01:20 PM   #27
Michael

After owning every shotgun listed here, I spent the money, waited the 9 months it took to arrive, and now own a Benelli M1 Super90 Combat. I should have saved the thousands spent on other shotguns and bought this one first. It is simply a masterpiece of firearms engineering, jamproof, super fast cycle time ( first empty still airborne when the last one clears the chamber) low recoil, light weight, easy to field strip, cannot say enough about it! If you have the wherewithall to afford one....DO IT.

------------------
Either learn to hit what you aim at, or take track lessons.

Old February 23, 2000, 06:13 PM   #28
jthuang

Dave, I know what you mean about giving out your e-mail. Since I cruise rec.guns and a lot of boards, I figure the damage is already done for me.

When I was still affiliated with the Penn Law School Second Amendment Society, I got these e-mails from antis in Britain, lamenting tragedies like Dunblane and the like -- and asking me how I could support gun rights. I tried to educate them, really I did.

In any event, it has been a pleasure discussing the merits of the defensive shotgun with you.

Justin

[This message has been edited by jthuang (edited February 23, 2000).]