The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 2, 2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Johnnymurad

How do you carry spare magazines?

I carry a walther pps in a crossbreed iwb holster and a spare magazine in a pocket. The problem is that I also carry my keys, knife, multi-tool, cell phone and wallet in my front pockets... running out of room... I have an owb magazine holster and don't like wearing it as part of my ccw edc. Does anyone make an affordable iwb magazine pouch? Other ideas?

Thanks,
Jon
Old August 2, 2013, 04:08 PM   #2
BarryLee

Quote:
Does anyone make an affordable iwb magazine pouch? Other ideas?
Crossbreed? http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/TuckableIWB.aspx
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 2, 2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Johnnymurad

Thanks, I have seen that one, for the double mag carrier it is 65.50, hoping for a similar but more affordable answer.
Old August 2, 2013, 05:46 PM   #4
fileophile

IWB double mag pouch

is what I use, and it works just fine and stays out of the way when I don't need it.
Old August 2, 2013, 11:07 PM   #5
armsmaster270

I use a nylon single mag pouch on my weak side. 3rd mag in my vehicle.
Old August 2, 2013, 11:47 PM   #6
GJSchulze

I bought a leather IWB mag holder from Comp-Tac. I suggest a kydex one if you can find one.
Old August 3, 2013, 02:00 AM   #7
ClydeFrog

desantis nemnesis magzine holder...

Check the Desantis website for the slick concealable Nemnesis mag holder.
It works like the popular snub revolver pocket holster & you can tote a extra mag that way.
Tuff Products makes a magazine rig for concealment too.
You may have to order the magazine holder directly from the maker.
Belt magazine rigs or even ankle type holders are out there.
Spare pistol mags are not illegal. If someone sees your hip or ankle its not a big deal. Most people will think its a pocket knife or a cell phone.
Old August 3, 2013, 05:16 AM   #8
NWCP

If I carry a spare mag, and I don't always do so, it's in a purpose made mag pouch. I purchase it at the same time I have my holster made. I also check the condition of my gun belt so I can replace it if need be.
Old August 3, 2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Ibmikey

I have two large tackle boxes of mags because we all know you must have spares, lots of them. After 30+ years of Policing I found few situations where an extra was needed, uniform or plain clothes. I was responsible for firearms training and procurement of weapons, ammo, accessories etc. so the troops had lots of extra mags and trained to use them but in actuality they never did run out of ammo in their primary mag. Today I pack a small weapon for self protection and leave the extra mags in the tackle boxes.
Old August 3, 2013, 08:53 AM   #10
Shadow9mm

if you want a cheap option, get a nylon Gerber or Leatherman multi tool pouch and strap it to your belt. i carried that way a long time, great option.
Old August 5, 2013, 11:02 AM   #11
LynnTX

Spare Mag carry

Shadow9mm,

You post sounds like a very practical solution, and one would never guess you were carrying an extra mag.
Old August 6, 2013, 12:15 PM   #12
Andrewh

for single stack, I use the blackberry pocket carrier for the phones.
people give them away on craigslist.
keeps the mag vertical in my pocket, and keeps the clutter away.
I generally put it behind my wallet.
Old August 6, 2013, 12:54 PM   #13
rickyrick

If I can't do it with the mag in my gun.... I've gotten in way over my head... I'll take my punishment
Old August 6, 2013, 01:04 PM   #14
toolguy2006

Try a google search for "SnagMag". They hold a mag in the front pocket of your pants with a clip on the outside that looks like the clip on a standard pocket knife. They conceal best with single stack mags, and really do draw well.

In a concealed carry situation, I personally agree with rickyrick. If I can't end the situation with one mag, I probably shouldn't have drawn the weapon. That said, I have to carry a spare mag with me at work (I work in a gun store), and the snag mag made a great solution, because I just shove the thing in my pocket, and off I go. I have practiced a bit with it, and the mag has always drawn clean, and because of the technique that is required, you always end up with the mag properly indexed in your hand.
Old August 6, 2013, 01:16 PM   #15
ClydeFrog

post #13, spare magazines....

I don't honestly get post #13.
To pack a extra magazine or 2 isn't hard or difficult.
A spare loaded magazine can offer extra rounds or if the main magazine jams breaks or is lost you have a replacement.
It's also kinda hard to do a tactical reload drill or "top off" a pistol in a dynamic gun fight without spare pistol magazines.
The young cop in Utah who faced a active shooter in a mall was down to the last round in his 1911a1 .45acp when law enforcement came on scene to aid him.

If you don't want a spare mag, carry a .38spl or .380acp pistol as a BUG.

CF
Old August 6, 2013, 01:29 PM   #16
rickyrick

Nothing wrong with the spare mag... Keep one around, just don't carry one.

I've never used one bullet as a civilian, so, the odds of needing a whole other magazine is low.

Now if I lived in a place that had capacity limits, then I'd definitely carry a spare.
Old August 6, 2013, 02:58 PM   #17
Nathan

I use a horizontal kydex, but will soon move to this Galco.
Old August 6, 2013, 04:07 PM   #18
IdahoG36

I carry my XDs in a DeSantis Nemesis and carry the spare mag in my pocket.
Old August 6, 2013, 08:03 PM   #19
pete2

I don't carry spare magazines. If what's in the gun doesn't work you're screwed anyway.
Old August 8, 2013, 12:42 PM   #20
Rikakiah

Quote:
The young cop in Utah who faced a active shooter in a mall was down to the last round in his 1911a1 .45acp when law enforcement came on scene to aid him.
I would agree that anyone in a law enforcement or security roll should definitely have at least 1 spare mag at the minimum. However, as a civilian, I'm not expecting to go toe-to-toe with a bad guy. My goal would be to stop any immediate threat and extricate myself to a safer area. If I can't do that with what's in my gun, I should probably train more, focusing on accuracy and performing under stress.

Now, are there times when a civilian can need more than the loaded mag? I'm sure there are. I think those are probably rare enough, though, that not carrying any spares is a legitimately safe answer for the average citizen. However, I'm not gonna fault anyone or call them overly paranoid if they do feel the need to keep extras on their person.
Old August 8, 2013, 12:45 PM   #21
allaroundhunter

How do you carry spare magazines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
Nothing wrong with the spare mag... Keep one around, just don't carry one.

I've never used one bullet as a civilian, so, the odds of needing a whole other magazine is low.

Now if I lived in a place that had capacity limits, then I'd definitely carry a spare.
It isn't about running out of ammo... It is about having a malfunction and needing a new magazine. 99% of semi auto malfunctions are magazine related. If you want to stay in the fight, then it would be nice to have a non-problematic mag with you.
Old August 8, 2013, 02:17 PM   #22
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
It isn't about running out of ammo... It is about having a malfunction and needing a new magazine. 99% of semi auto malfunctions are magazine related. If you want to stay in the fight, then it would be nice to have a non-problematic mag with you.
Perfect response. I was going to say something very similar. Semi automatic guns' Achilles heel, are their magazines. I usually carry two spares to my Glock 19. While I never had an experience with bad magazines in my Glock's, I don't want my first to be when I need it the most. Same way I've gotten into such a bad car wreck that my airbag had to deploy. I still want it there. Never had a fire so bad that I needed my fire extinguisher, however I still want that there too in the event I need it.

It's to fix your gun and if you're able to carry extra bullets and mags. Why wouldn't you?

YMMV.
Old August 8, 2013, 02:26 PM   #23
rickyrick

The spare mag side has valid points. I figure if someone is within my self defense parameters, what I might consider immediate threat to me, and I have a stoppage I'm probably not going to make it.

If I can stop and I am safe enough to clear a stoppage, then I can keep on moving I figure.
There is no one size fits all scenario, but as joe blow civilian, it's my choice to employ my firearm or not. I even have the choice to stop, run or give up.
Old August 8, 2013, 08:39 PM   #24
ClydeFrog

Post; #20, off-duty...

The young police officer in UT was off-duty eating dinner with his pregnant wife when he got into a gun battle with a active shooter.

Spare mags are not difficult to carry & can even out your load as you go about your daily activities.

Clyde