The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 29, 2014, 09:09 PM   #1
WildBill45

Which handgun does your wife, fiancée or girlfriend use for a house gun?

Today I took off the big backstrap from my Glock 41 to return it to issue status so I could see if my fiancée could handle the big 45. She did quite well. I have trained her for a while now but primarily with her Ruger LCR .38 and her S&W 442. I suggested that she use the Big Glock for a house gun and after I put her through a night shooting course she agrees.

What gun do you recommend to your partner as a house gun?

It is not that she is a woman only that made me put her through the paces, but she is a newbie, a well trained newbie these days, but a newbie nonetheless. Making the switch from .38 to 45 in your 60s' and you are new to boot is a good feat for most folks. The hands are not as strong, the body softer, and the mind not set in stone as some of us crazy old school shooters are!!!

Again I ask, what gun do you recommend to your partner as a house gun?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg house gun sm.jpg (160.2 KB, 89 views)

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Last edited by WildBill45; September 1, 2014 at 08:35 AM. Reason: change spelling one word
Old August 29, 2014, 09:15 PM   #2
TXAZ

From what you said, the one that fits best in her hand. It's hard without knowing hand size and numerous preferences what is best for them.

Take her to a brick and mortar that has a lot and let her try them (either on a range or in the shop).

To answer your banner question, an M&P 9mm.

Good luck.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 29, 2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Wyosmith

My wife carries a compact 1911 all the time. "House gun" is not the idea we cultivate for a handgun.
The “house gun” is an FN FAL, AK47, 12 gauge or AR15.
A hand gun is for immediate response to danger. It is for use when there is not any time to prepair for a fight at all. Is is worn on your body.

If you have even 10 seconds to go get a gun and prepare you should ALWAYS grab a rifle or shotgun.
Old August 29, 2014, 09:26 PM   #4
WildBill45

Quote:
If you have even 10 seconds to go get a gun and prepare you should ALWAYS grab a rifle or shotgun.
I have thought the job of a handgun is to get you to a rifle myself but, and there always is a but in life, one step at a time here. She is experienced in life ... if you know what I mean ... it will take a little time to get her to a shotgun. She has never been a gun person before.

Old August 29, 2014, 09:40 PM   #5
Mystro

My wife knows where and how to use all my guns. Her personal handgun is a HK USP Compact 9mm. She's a hell of a shot too.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old August 29, 2014, 10:26 PM   #6
WildBill45

Quote:
My wife knows where and how to use all my guns
Knowing and actually KNOWING, under stress, in the dark, in the rain, when first waking without warning to a threat knowing becomes not KNOWING doesn't it? A man with one sword is dangerous, a man with many Knows none.
This is my view of that way of thinking, especially so with those who have very few years of actually training and/or using a weapon of any kind to include hands and feet. Anyone can grab a gun in the daylight, on a day their choosing, at a time of their choosing, at their convenience, after their coffee, and fully awake from a sound sleep. The enemy never affords you those circumstances, thus your response must be a reaction not a thought, a do and not a maybe, a direct instinct born from failures and success ... depress thumb safety, squeeze grip, trigger and sights ... in a milli-second on a day not of your choosing, at a time not of your choosing, at a place not of your knowledge. This is KNOWING...

This is why I stick with one then now two guns until they are an extension of her hands like pointing her fingers. One step, one gun at a time..

Old August 29, 2014, 10:36 PM   #7
TomADC

Browning BDA .380 but bigger is better so Remington police magnum and she isn't too bad with it and isn't afraid of it.
Old August 29, 2014, 10:36 PM   #8
Tactical Jackalope

The 41 is mine. The 17 is hers. My CCW is the 19. When I'm feeling sprite it's the 41.
Old August 29, 2014, 10:44 PM   #9
thedudeabides

I built an DD/Spikes AR pistol that's usually within reach.

The wife and I both know how to use it, and there's usually a 1911 close by as well.
Old August 30, 2014, 12:24 AM   #10
whanson_wi

SIGSaur 2022 in 9mm. She picked it out.
Old August 30, 2014, 12:44 AM   #11
shaunpain

My gf is not a huge shooter, never owned a gun before I gave her one, but very much enjoys the shooting sports. She has a Star BKM sitting in the money safe if she needs to get to it, but I have a nice big Ruger GP100 sitting in a drawer in the living room and a 1911 in a holster affixed to my desk in the office. I frequently have another loaded gun just hanging around the bedroom (we have no kids, only a cat, which is like having a really dumb kid with no opposable thumbs) which, at the time of this writing, is a Sig C3. Everything else is in the cabinet, and she has the only other key for that as well. The 12 gauge is kept loaded in that cabinet with my other unloaded rifles and pistols. That's four loaded guns in various strategic locations. She can handle them all.
Old August 30, 2014, 01:27 AM   #12
gc70

Quote:
What handgun to be specific do you suggest your better half use for home defensive duty?
My wife uses whatever she chooses - usually her G17, but maybe her full-size 1911. I don't encourage her to use any of my guns lest they become her guns.
Old August 30, 2014, 02:09 AM   #13
ch47gunner

This one - and she's very proficient with it.

S&W Model 60 .38Spl.
Old August 30, 2014, 02:21 AM   #14
s3779m

her house gun (mainly used for snakes around the chicken house) taurus judge loaded with 410. Carry gun, sig m11-a1 9mm, and her favorite range gun, springfield 1911 in 9mm.
Old August 30, 2014, 03:44 AM   #15
SHE3PDOG

Sig P229

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old August 30, 2014, 06:03 AM   #16
ejfalvo

We have a number of Sig 45ACPs in strategic areas in the house - but her fav to keep close at hand is a Sig 238. Zero recoil, fast on the follow up shot. High confidence in her ability to effectively use.
Old August 30, 2014, 07:01 AM   #17
srommes

My wife has my Glock 19 within reach in her bedroom. She won't carry it around the house but keeps it within reach whenever she is home alone.
Old August 30, 2014, 08:06 AM   #18
WildBill45

There is that!

Quote:
I don't encourage her to use any of my guns lest they become her guns.
We all better keep that thought in mind

I am sure, and this post should be considered to cover the fact that some of the relationships the Sweet half is the gun owner, and should consider the above quote to keep her guns hers!!!

Old August 30, 2014, 08:08 AM   #19
TXAZ

^^^^^Especially true in community states^^^^^^

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 30, 2014, 08:32 AM   #20
Deja vu

She Carries: Sig P238 (Buffalo Bore 100 grain 380+P)
Home Gun: Marlin 357 magnum Trapper. (Buffalo Bore 158 grain JHP)

She loves both.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old August 30, 2014, 10:02 AM   #21
pax

I have no wife, fiancee, or girlfriend -- nor am likely to ever have, since I'm straight.

My own choice for an at-home gun is the same as my carry weapon. That's a Glock 26 or a Glock 19, depending on what I'm wearing that day. But I have large hands for my size, which makes the Glocks a good choice for me.

Always get nervous when I hear guys talk about "training" their wives. Sounds kind of hinky to me!

pax
Old August 30, 2014, 11:08 AM   #22
Crankgrinder

If you have even 10 seconds to go get a gun and prepare you should ALWAYS grab a rifle or shotgun
You must be very fortunate to live in a large house. Moving about in any way with a rifle or a shotgun in mine is rather ungainly and quite slow, and if something needs to be shot does come in I highly doubt there will a ten second warning
Old August 30, 2014, 11:49 AM   #23
8MM Mauser

My wife goes for the shotgun: a 12ga Mossberg pump when she feels threatened.

Once she chased away what turned out to be a noisy racoon with my Ruger MKII target model. She must have looked something feirce with that tench inch bull barrel in front of her. She doesn't like how thick the Glock grip is though. The shotgun fits better into her hands and would be more intimidating to a would be intruder.

Me, i'm a Glock 19 guy.

Look how cute we are together:

Old August 30, 2014, 12:00 PM   #24
Mystro

?????... I am a CCW instructor and generally dont like to make blanket statements since so many situations can vary...
I agree real world training is a must as well as a certain level of knowledge and familiarity with any guns in question that are accessible . In my own situation, my family would be considered "gun people". Being rural and hunters, it is who we are and the way we have been raised up from kids. Guns are a tool and as natural as a hammer or knife. I happen to take that interest into the tactical field as well as hunting with professional training and sponsored IPSC competition.
My wife is the same, I have seen her dust a black bear in the middle of the night with 9shot from my 12 gauge pump when the dogs were in danger. She "Knows" more than most in my intermediate classes and knows how to pick the right tool for the job. I wouldn't test her with a house breech with live ammo.

Quote:
Knowing and actually KNOWING, under stress, in the dark, in the rain, when first waking without warning to a threat knowing becomes not KNOWING doesn't it?

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; August 30, 2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old August 30, 2014, 01:37 PM   #25
WildBill45

Quote:
Always get nervous when I hear guys talk about "training" their wives. Sounds kind of hinky to me!
I agree! The concept isn't a man training his girl, but a trainer training a person who needs training regardless of gender!